General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
United States
Highlands Ranch Race Series
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 56s
Overall Rank = 20/51
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

For a change I packed the car the night before, got all my ducks in a row and was ready early. Ended up going out with friends and stayed out till after midnight. I was the designated driver so I wasn't drinking, which helped :) Also decided to go to Village Inn at midnight for breakfast. Carb loading really helped, believe it or not. Anyway, got home about 12:45 and was up at 4:45. Tired but excited. Quad espresso and a bottle of water and I'm on my way....
Event warmup:

Got my transition set up in under 10 minutes. I headed right for the pool and did a quick 400 warmup and felt great in the water. Tom (TEBeal) was in my lane and we chatted a bit about the competition, he basically had the attitude he could win (and he did)!
Swim
  • 16m 58s
  • 1100 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Top overall swim. Lapped everyone except Tom in my lane. I felt great. I was also the first out of the water which meant I was the guy to beat. I hate that feeling!
What would you do differently?:

Nada... pretty pleased with this.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Pretty fast. My shoes were velcro'd closed which was a PITA. Otherwise happy.

Need to get new tri shoes.
Bike
  • 59m 32s
  • 20 miles
  • 20.16 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a very challenging 2-loop course. The first 5 miles are seemingly all uphill. Total elevation change according to my Garmin was 450 feet. It's not Mt. Evans but still challenging. Anyway, I took off on the bike and just mashed as hard as I could. Stayed on the big ring and just kept powering through. After mile 2 I took in a Hammer Gel. At mile 4 I knew some of the smaller guys who could climb would catch up to me. Sure enough at mile 4.5, Tom came by and smacked my ass... good thing we're friends :) I was passed by one other dude on the first lap. The 2nd half of the loop is all downhill and I crushed the hills- I hit 40 MPH on Wildcat Reserve. I saved my legs on the downhills which proved wise for the 2nd lap, I negative split by 41 seconds on the 2nd lap. Overall a great ride for me, I was really pleased.

Not much, this is a course PR for me by 3 minutes.
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Meh... T2 has been horrible for me all season and this was no exception. 3 freaking minutes? I must have stopped for a coffee or something. Poor, poor, poor.

I need speed laces in the Noosa's for sure. They're a PITA to get on.
Run
  • 1h 05m 49s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Meh. Honestly, I did really well by my own crappy standards. I did this race 2 years ago and the hills kicked my tush. I was determined to beat this course into submission this time :) I felt awesome coming off the bike and my running has improved dramatically the last 2 years. My goal was to stay around 11/min mile on the outbound because the hills are mainly up going out. I managed to do that- at the turnaround the Garmin said lap pace was 10:50, which is a big deal for me. I knew going back in I could open it up a little without reaching LT, so I did. I managed to keep an 8:55 pace on the second half. Very very happy about that. On the 2nd half of the run I knew I was going to hit the podium given the fast swim and the bike, and I didn't see anyone from my AG pass me once. This was good motivation to keep on cranking.

Given my inability to run because I'm 6'5 and 240, nothing. This is a tough course and I strategized correctly.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished! I checked my time and I PR'd this by 13 minutes from the last time I did it 2 years ago. I had a great time hanging with Kerry, Steve, Neil, Gaye, etc. Handed out a ton of Wheaties Fuel samples. Had a beer to celebrate my victory :) It was a great showing for BT- TEBeal won overall, Trimama530 took second in her AG, and I won Clydes (also was good enough to win M35-39). Fun day. Not as fun as Rattlesnake would have been, but still fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, I am really pleased with this performance.

Event comments:

Fun race. I love these Highlands Ranch races. I prefer OWS for sure, but this is a fun alternative. The bike and run courses are challenging and make me appreciate how awesome this state is. RD and her staff do a terrific job. I won a t-shirt and a gold medal for my AG too- that's always fun :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:58 | 1100 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 1/51
Performance:
Suit: Altitude Tri Suit
Course: 2 pool swim. You do the first 650 inside, and the last 550 outside. 4 people per lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:32 | 20 miles | 20.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 12/51
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops around HR... elevation change of 400+ feet.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:05:49 | 06.2 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 40/51
Course: Tough out and back course with lots of rollers. Probably the most challenging run of any course in Colorado.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-22 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Olympic Course

2011-08-22 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3653586

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great race.  I feel so anti social, being as I didn't know you guys were from BT.  I was 3rd in the 40-44 sprint.  So add one more medal.

I remember seeing you swim.  You were looking really smooth out there.  Several of us remarked about it while waiting.

Also remember seeing you coming back down the dirt hill after the school on the run.  I was powering up.  Your a pretty big guy especially since I'm 5'6 155.  I tend to remember people that dwarf me.  But you looked controlled and smooth at that point on the run as well.

Good job on the PR.
2011-08-22 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Great race matt!  You're looking rather svelte in those pics too!  Talked to Tom about the race, he said you killed the swim and it took him awhile to catch you on the bike.

Can't believe I'm going to help a fellow age grouper but here's the deal:  I'll help you knock at least two minutes off your T2 and you can take a crack at my aching shoulders during freestyle and medial knee pain during breast stroke!  Give me a call soon!

2011-08-22 5:02 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Nice job Matt.  Your swim times are always incredibly fast!  Congrats on 1st in AG!
2011-08-22 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch

Great job, Matt.  It was awesome to see you as the first swimmer to the outdoor pool, the concrete part of that swim is at least a minute.  You negative split the bike?  Very nice.  And there's really nothing easy on the run course.

Congratulations on the podium dude!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed