General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri this weekend, transition/rain questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-22 11:22 AM

Subject: First Tri this weekend, transition/rain questions

I have my first sprint tri this weekend and I'm so nervous.  What do I need to make sure I have for transitions?  I'm wearting my running shoes to bike in and I am going out tonight to get tri shorts and a shirt that I think I'll swim/bike/run in.  What else do I need?  towel, water?

also, the weather for this weekend is rain, tropical thunderstorm actually, will they still hold the tri?  also, what will make this different for me especially on a bike if the roads are wet?

2011-08-22 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3653681

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: First Tri this weekend, transition/rain questions

Well In transitionS I carry

a mat to put stuf on

Swim to bike:

Bike shoes, helmet, towel, Road Id, (socks- I dont wear socks for bike but I do for run) Powder, body glide,

Bike to run:

Towel, body glide, sunglasses, visor, race/fuel belt, Socks, food

As for weather if it rains the tri will still go on, if the weather is severe they may cancel the swim and just do a run bike run, kinda a deal...on the bike, just be careful, you may have to ride conservative if wet and slippery....But just try to relax and enjoy yourself. Im new to the game as well just did my first Oly earlier this month...and the best thinkg I learned was don't get frustrated if things are not going your way, just do your best and work from there....good luck

2011-08-22 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Philly Outsider

They say "Nothing new on race day", and that includes clothes. So, good luck with new tri shorts and top.  I'll suggest getting some body glide and applying it around the arms and neck of the top, and around your 'sensitive areas' for the shorts.

For the rain, I suggest getting a medium sized plastic container to put your stuff in for transition. That'll keep your shoes dry until you get there. You can pick these boxes up for $6 at target or walmart.

There's a TON of strategy and suggestions for what to put out, and what to do in transition. Most people like to put down a towel on the ground to mark their space and wipe their feet on. Beyond that, you can search the forum for transition tips threads.

Good luck!

2011-08-22 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

I did my first tri a few weeks ago so I'm no expert, but I have one tip for you.  Many people carried most of their gear from the parking lot to the transition area in a five gallon bucket.  Which they then sat on during transitions to make getting their footwear situated easier, looked like a brilliant idea as I sat on a towel on the ground.  You could also use the bucket to keep things dry.  And go for at least one run and one bike in the new clothes, if they rub you wrong you'll know it immediately.  As far as riding in the rain goes, be careful of running over street markings, especially big ones, when they are wet.  They can get very slick and skinny road bike tires won't grab at all on them.  Don't go crazy trying to avoid them, doing that might cause a crash all on its own.  But be careful of them.

2011-08-22 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

The first rule of transitions is: never sit in transition. Wink 

I learned a lot about transitions from watching YouTube videos. There are a ton out there.

2011-08-22 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3654146

My first sprint tri ever is in 3 weeks.

Do you need a bike lock in the transition area?   

I'm planning on swimming in plain old shorts, toweling off and running/biking in them too. 

2011-08-22 5:03 PM

New user
Bremerton, WA

You should not need a bike lock in transition. Only participants should be allowed in and out of the transition area and someone should be checking that the number they mark on your body matches the number attached to your bike. 

If you think you will be running through sand/dirt from swim to the bike, take a bottle of water to dump over your feet to get rid of the grit before putting on socks/shoes. Put your helmet on as soon as you get to your bike. That way you don't forget, and it is out of the way. 

I highly suggest getting a race belt to attach your bib to for the run (some races also require a bib for the bike). The belt is super simple to snap on as you run out of transition and you don't have to pin anything to your new tri clothes. Hope this helps!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri this weekend, transition/rain questions Rss Feed