General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54 (Geeze)
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

This is my 20th triathlon, so a small milestone.

Drove up from Cincinnati. Half a PB&J, banana and coffee 2 hours before race time.

Recovering from a cold I caught Tuesday. It was pretty mild, so maybe it won't slow me down much.

In the interest of full disclosure, I signed up for and did the mini-triathlon. There was a Mini-duathlon that started earlier, and for some reason, the system thought I was doing the du. My swim times are based on my watch, all the other times are based on chip. (The Du started about 11 minutes before my swim wave, so my "official" time to T1 is overstated. All other chips times are accurate) For purposes of this report, I have gratuitously and shamelessly inserted myself where I actually finished in the triathlon (2nd in my AG).
Event warmup:

Swam a bit. Waited.

Bummed to see that my heartrate strap (transmitter) apparently had given up the ghost (after 8 years, not bad). So no HR data during the race. If I were doing a half iron, I'd be bummed, because I pace myself based on HR in a Half. But Oly distances I do mostly by feel.

Swim
  • 23m 1s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't learn to swim until I was 40. So it's not my strong suit. Also, I breathe on my left side, so having the buoys on my right was not ideal.

A bit more contact than typical. Nothing too bad, but just enough to keep from developing a good rhythm. Not that I have swim rhythm anyway. Achieved my first goal of the day...don't be the last one out of the water. (2nd to last is okay, just not last)

LONG jog up to T1. Out of the water in 21:31, plus 1:30 jog to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Go back in time and learn to swim as a kid.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Wetsuit came off fairly easily, which I was very please with. Wetsuit removal has always been a sticking point with me. (Get it? "sticking" point.) Socks took a bit too long to get on.

Maybe think about doing oly distance races sockless.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 6s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I like the bike course at this venue. (I did the Half 2 years ago.) I went a bit harder than usual, but not overly so. I had one bottle of stuff* along with a couple Endurolytes. The weather wasn't too bad, but I knew it was getting warmer and I'd be sweating on the run.

My goal was to average at least 20 mph on the bike. Averaged about 20.7, so mission accomplished.

*stuff = a 7:1 carb/protein drink I make myself with maltodextrin, whey protein and unsweetened koolaid for flavor. Nothing special, but it's cheap and I use it in training.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

2nd fastest T2 in the whole mini-tri. Woo Hoo! They should give out hardware for that. Like a little silver foot going in a little silver shoe with little silver Yankz on it.

Zip.
Run
  • 49m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was to keep it below an 8 minute pace. Took a little water a most aid stations. It was getting pretty warm in the unshaded areas. Passed someone in my AG in the last mile. That always feels good. The long uphill to the finish line was not appreciated. But at at least you know the end is near.

There were a few spectators with cowbells, and every time I ran by I would yell "More Cowbell!!!" I could tell some of them got the reference.

Finished with a 7:56 pace. So 3rd goal accomplished.

Post race
Warm down:

Low-fat Chocolate Milk!! Nectar of the gods. Discovered this as recovery drink a couple months ago. Now, I can't do without it. Walked around, sat, walked around, sat. Felt very satisfied with my performance. Was hoping to break 2:30, and did.

Rinsed off and changed at the state park facilities. Felt like a new man for the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being old, short, bowlegged and flat-footed. Other than that, I'm a rock star.

Last updated: 2011-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:01 | 1094 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless
Course: 1 long rectangle parallel to shore. Clockwise swim. Keep the buoys on the right.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:06 | 24.85 miles | 20.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Performance:
One loop. Very picturesque!
Wind: Little
Course: One loop. Very picturesque! One short section just had chip-seal (?) put down, and that was a bit dicey, but not too bad. Most of the course was fairly flat, with a few rolling hills. All in all a nice bike course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:14 | 06.21 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Performance:
Course: Out and back along a paved multiuse trail. Some shaded, some not. The "out" was mostly a mild gradual downhill, with a more pronounced downhill right after the start. Reverse all that for the "back."
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-22 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Triathlon

2011-08-22 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3654009

Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Triathlon
Nice Job seeing someone accomplish so many goals. I accomplished mine also. Finished my first ever.
2011-08-22 5:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice race, and congrats on your 20th race!
2011-08-22 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3654371

User image

Veteran
Thanks.
Matt, I see you did the half. (sorry about your bike & shoe woes)

I've done seven HIM's and every time when I pulled into T2 after 56 miles, there were always a stream of people leaving who had done the shorter races. They were recovered, rested, watered, packed up and heading home. There was always a part of me that said "I wish I was them."

Yesterday...I was them!!! It felt great.

My hat's off to you guys. It was a hot run.

JC

2011-08-23 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia

Really solid bike out there! And it was picturesque! I was wondering if other people appreciated it as much as I did. The fields were beautiful and even the occasional manure smell didn't bother me. The roadkill out there was a little ripe though.

Way to put together a really nice race though and congrats on accomplishing so many goals!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Triathlon Rss Feed