General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
85F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 23m 58s
Overall Rank = 858/2400
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 173/327
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 (a little before the alarm) Tried not to wake up the rest of the family. Left in the dark for Centennial Park. Bike had gone through the safety check and had been racked the previous day, as required. Half of a bagel with cream cheese, bottle of water, ibuprofen and an antacid. Apparently old age requires more pre-race preparation.
Event warmup:

It poured just as transition was closing. It was FREEZING at that point and we went looking for some shelter. Race was delayed about 15 minutes. Lucky for us the massage tent was empty...hmmm....Pre-race massage...a first and a must from now on!
Swim
  • 31m 46s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming is not my forte...Learned 2 summers ago and have worked up to this distance which was super LONG for me. I was in a panic in the beginning. Took me to the first bouy to settle down. There were lots of people around me, which is well out of my comfort zone. (I don't even like to share my lane!)I moved far to the outside and concentrated on making it to each bouy. 10 strokes and then sited with 3 breaststrokes. Got into a nice rhythm. I did have a stitch about 1/2 way through, but it didn't get too bad. I am admittedly slow, but finishing a swim of that length was a feel good experience.
What would you do differently?:

Relax in the beginning...I had a momentary thought of backing out. Swim a little harder. I was afraid to run out of breath, I tend to panic in the water when that happens.
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Had a short uphill run to transitions. Stuck fuel in my sports bra for the ride. Socks on, shoes on, helmet clipped and glasses on face. Grabbed bike and jogged out. Up hill to bike start...grass was wet, so was fairly careful. Jumped on bike and stood to get up to speed. Right turn out of transition area and we were off.

Nothing. A litte faster, maybe.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 53s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 15.70 mile/hr
Comments:

It was just an average ride for me. Not as hard as the weekly training rides, which was good! My cycling group helped my ride tons! That "mountain" was just a steep hill...I passed lots of people, and was passed by some as well. There were some fast women in my age group! I did realize once I got going that I forgot to put my cyclometer on...I use that to guage my effort, so...we will see how it ends up! I did not know the course, but was aware that the run would be a challenge, so I think I held back a little, but not too much. The course was a bit crowded, the cheerleaders on the side were awesome! Signs and noisemakers!

Nothing really...train earlier. Recovery after hills is slow for me. Ride a little harder. I didn't know what to expect from the course and I knew there was a killer run coming up.
Transition 2
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

Average transition...Grass was wet coming down hill. Ran cautiously. Lots of spills from what I hear. (okay so after I wrote this...I saw the splits...I apparently took a short nap on this transition!)

Hurry the heck up and ditch the running skirt...sheesh, talk about slow!!
Run
  • 36m 26s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was very hilly...stitch in side got worse. Tried to run through it, but the hills were a bit much. Speed walked the 2 steepest hills so as not to lose too much time, ran hard on the downhills and moderately on the flats.

Run more...more hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Race had iced towels (Heavenly) grabbed some gatorade and waited for friends to finish. Food was good, vibe at finish was great. Was glad that run was over!

Event comments:

Great venue! Inspiring racers! I was pleased with all of my times but that last transition. I can expect to shave a couple of minutes off of each area next year now that I know how hard to push. I definitely had a little more effort left in me!

Last updated: 2010-11-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:46 | 1094 yards | 02m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 282/327
Overall: 0/2400
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: 1093 (seemed longer) in a muddy lake...yuck.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:53 | 17.5 miles | 15.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 113/327
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Course was rolling hills and one steep hill that was called "Mt. Albert" (I think)
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:26 | 03.4 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 154/327
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly...REALLY HILLY!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-22 2:35 PM

User image

Subject: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

2011-08-25 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3654126

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon
Nice job!!  I hope you stick with this tri business and see LOTS and LOTS of improvements next year!
2011-08-25 11:45 PM
in reply to: #3654126

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon
Great race! Very motivating for me too! The Iron Girl tri look intriguing I think I may have to try one myself next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed