United States
MidWestSports
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 53m 47s
Overall Rank = 338/1502
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 54/198
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 3:15. Got dressed, ate 2 slices of toast with Peanut butter and jelly and out the door to meet a friend for the ride up at 4:00. Once on site, we got our packets, got bikes ready to go, hit the bathrooms and off to the start line.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. To early to do much.
Bike
  • 3h 53m 47s
  • 88.6 miles
  • 22.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I was in wave 7. I don't remember what I put for a speed, but could probably have put a faster time to get in a faster wave. We started out going at a good pace. Did not see as many crashes as last year which was very good. Things were going along quite well until just before Oshkosh (about 45 minutes into the ride) when we got stuck by a train crossing the road! In talking to other people, it seemed that none of the waves in front of us got stuck. It seemed like we were there a long time but my official time of 3:56:07 was just 2:20 slower than the time I had by stopping the watch when we were waiting for the train. I have entered my time here, but the official time is what is published if you look it up. If only there were a way to get the waiting time removed from the official time...but I digress.

While waiting for the train, I took my first of three gel packets. After that, it was a large group of riders going through Oshkosh. As soon as we left the city, I was not happy with the pace, so I went wide and passed the group to chase the few riders out front. As soon as I caught up to them down the road, a group of about 20-25 that must have followed my break away passed us. We all stuck together all the way through to High Cliff.
Entering the park and approaching the hill I realized that the first half of the race is so flat that I was in one gear the whole ride. Once there, there must have been about 50 or so of us together. Going up the hill in the park, I seemed to have an extra gear because I was passing everyone. By the time I got to the top of the hills and exited the park, I was by myself.

The whole next half of the race I was passing people left and right. I was feeling great and was able to keep a nice pace. At no time did I hit a wall. There were a few times I would catch up to someone and hang on their tail for a while, but I would then feel I was going to slow and have to go around. I do have to say that I was on the other end of "that face" this race. You know "that face"? The one where you are struggeling to get up a hill and someone breezes by you in the areobars or seems to be easy pedaling going past you? I have given "that face" to many people through my career. Today, I got to see "that face" from many many people. I almost felt bad seeing the frustration and questioning looks on their faces. I said almost because it felt SO GOOD!!!

We got 3-4 miles from the finish and I just hammered to the end. I just felt great. Very good training ride for Ironman. I know I will not be going this fast there, but the confidence I got from this will be very valuable.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing I could think of would be to try to start in an earlier wave.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little bit and then went to get something to eat. After getting home, I went for another 25 mile ride at a slightly slower pace.

Event comments:

Great race. My only concern is checking the train schedule to not get people caught or else figure out a way to credit the people that got stuck.

Last updated: 2011-01-31 12:00 AM
Biking
03:53:47 | 88.6 miles | 22.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 54/198
Overall: 338/1502
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Clockwise around Lake Winnebago
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-22 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Subject: Race the Lake

2011-08-23 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3654662

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Race the Lake
aaaaahhhhh, what can I say other than NICE bike split.  But next time maybe go a bit faster so that you cross the RR tracks before the train comes through!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Race the Lake Rss Feed