General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports Chalet Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-10-07 12:23 AM
in reply to: #3714510

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Sports Chalet Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
homhead - 2011-10-06 8:44 PM

OK, I've been following your posts for a while here. I drove the Oly bike course today (as far as I could go just a mile short of the Power Plant) and was a little freaked out at the 2nd ascent. I saw the description but being on the course was a whole other animal. 

Your two hour time is very impressive. I take it you did this Tri last year or the year before? I have done 3 Sprint tri's in the past 2 years so this would be my first Olympic distance. From past experiences, do most of the riders just plow up the first two ascents? Do you see people just taking it easy or even stopping at some point? After seeing the course first hand I just want to finish somewhat respectably but even if I am last in my AG I could care less.

I saw some entrants took 5, 6 or even 7 hours last year. I figure I can do that. Any other advice? All my previous Tri's have been Ocean swims (Malibu, LA Tri at Venice).

Good luck on Sunday! 

Hi there!  Thanks!  The climb right of the swim is going to be very hard indeed.  I recommend you pace the 1st ascent slow enough so you can save your energy for the 2nd one because it's a more difficult grade.  I think it's okay to stop at the turnaround (where the power plant is) and take in a gu gel or Clif shot bloks.  Just make sure you pull over and you're a good distance away from cyclists who keep going.  The 3rd ascent is somewhere in between but after the 2 prior ascents, your legs are going to be burning! 

Use the swim as a warmup and save your legs.  It's going to be slightly easier than the ocean swims as there will be minimal chop.  Maybe some kicking near the end of the swim at the most to get them warmed up for the bike.  Make sure you put your bike in an easy gear before you bring it to the transition area.

This is my first year racing actually.  I've done 2 sprint tris this year (July 31st and Sept 9th) and this is also going to be my first Oly.  I've been cycling as a weekend warrior for the past 16 or so years and been climbing the hills around Griffith Park.  I'm glad I did that because the experience enabled me to complete the 2 test runs I've done let alone one in extreme temperatures. =)

Good luck to you as well!  The weather forecast is looking great! ^_^

~Roland

2011-10-07 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3654684

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Subject: RE: Sports Chalet Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
Looks like 50F at race start and 80F by mid afternoon

2011-10-07 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3714550

Thanks for the info, Roland.

I'm excited! I went to Sport Chalet and picked up my packet. At first I thought there was an expo under the red and white tent only to realize it was furniture for sale next door! But the volunteers were super nice in the store. 

I just read about wearing ASICS gear to get into the VIP tent so I am trying to dig up some of my clothes with an ASICS logo on it. 

Weather should be good. Not the hot temps people mentioned last year and not as hot as the weekend you rode. 

I may try to drop off my bike tomorrow. One less thing to worry about on Sunday morning. I have done some rides at Griffith Observatory too with a start from the LA Zoo lot. But this course equals about 3x more ascents so I will just have to take it easy on the climbs. See you on the course.

2011-10-07 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3715901

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
homhead - 2011-10-07 7:14 PM

Thanks for the info, Roland.

I'm excited! I went to Sport Chalet and picked up my packet. At first I thought there was an expo under the red and white tent only to realize it was furniture for sale next door! But the volunteers were super nice in the store. 

I just read about wearing ASICS gear to get into the VIP tent so I am trying to dig up some of my clothes with an ASICS logo on it. 

Weather should be good. Not the hot temps people mentioned last year and not as hot as the weekend you rode. 

I may try to drop off my bike tomorrow. One less thing to worry about on Sunday morning. I have done some rides at Griffith Observatory too with a start from the LA Zoo lot. But this course equals about 3x more ascents so I will just have to take it easy on the climbs. See you on the course.

Right on man!  I'm going to pickup my packet tomorrow and drop off my bike as well.  Before I do that, I'm gonna go for an easy ride on the run course to loosen up my leg muscles a bit.  What AG are you in?  I'm in AG35-39.  ASICS logo gets you into VIP???  Nice!  What time are you going to drop off your bike tomorrow?

2011-10-07 11:44 PM

Hey Roland,

I am 5 years older than you (at least Smile  . I just registered last night and then this morning received an update from "anneka" at regenegade racing. It included the following:

>>ASICS VIP/HOSPITALITY
For those of you that have opted for the VIP/Hospitality option and will be picking up your packets on Sunday morning, you can look forward to these great perks: VIP area is located adjacent to the Transition Area ? go here to pick up your packets on Sunday morning. We will have light refreshments in the morning and our Official Food Sponsor Rubios will have a taco bar available for your post race cravings. The area includes upgraded Port-a-Potties, a seating area and other amenities.  

>>?NOT A VIP? WEAR ASICS!
If you didn?t sign up for the VIP option but want access to the ASICS VIP/Hospitality Area with Rubios Fresh Mexican Food then WEAR ASICS running shoes or apparel (shorts, shirts, jackets) and we will let you in. 

So bring your ASICS shorts, shirt or jacket if you have one. I am still digging through my closet. I have all kinds of New Balance gear and Saucony shoes so I might even go out and buy something if I can find it cheap enough!

2011-10-08 12:00 AM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
i just picked my packet at sports chalet and got a gift card for the store which was a pleasant surprise. I used it right away for a new bike bottle and some gels .
Running in the clydesdale division , Olympic distance . #116
Planning like roland says to go
Easy-ish on the swim , sustainable pace on the two big climbs , recover drink and stretch on the half mile of flat road we have and (hopefully) has some gas left to run the 10k.

Still about 150 slots open so if the mother in law is in town
you can now have something better to do sunday morning.

2011-10-08 12:21 AM
in reply to: #3715977

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Did either of you see how many confirmed Olympic distance racers there are by chance when you picked up your packet?
2011-10-08 1:25 AM
in reply to: #3715986

No idea on how many confirmed but there are four waves and wave 2 (my wave) is scheduled at 8:03am. So I am assuming 3 minutes apart for all waves and everyone is in the water by 8:12am? 

Smart of Van Paulus to have used his gift card right away. I looked at it when I got home and saw that it has a printed expiration date clearly on the front of 10/7/11. Today! So I lost my $5 chance. There is also a 15% off coupon for Sport Chalet in that bag as well which would have come in handy had I been thinking a bit more clearly.

I was planning on just going with my usual tri top and tri shorts on Sunday but I read a report last year of an entrant who said he was practically freezing on the two major descents. I never considered wearing anything different and assumed a tri top would actually be perfect for those two long climbs in the sun. Would anyone actually just wear a cycling jersey? 

2011-10-08 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3715986

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
kloofyroland - 2011-10-07 10:21 PM

Did either of you see how many confirmed Olympic distance racers there are by chance when you picked up your packet?

About 350 registered between HIM and OLY . with
room for registration today and tomorrow morning.
2011-10-08 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3716001

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
homhead - 2011-10-07 11:25 PM

No idea on how many confirmed but there are four waves and wave 2 (my wave) is scheduled at 8:03am. So I am assuming 3 minutes apart for all waves and everyone is in the water by 8:12am? 

Smart of Van Paulus to have used his gift card right away. I looked at it when I got home and saw that it has a printed expiration date clearly on the front of 10/7/11. Today! So I lost my $5 chance. There is also a 15% off coupon for Sport Chalet in that bag as well which would have come in handy had I been thinking a bit more clearly.

I was planning on just going with my usual tri top and tri shorts on Sunday but I read a report last year of an entrant who said he was practically freezing on the two major descents. I never considered wearing anything different and assumed a tri top would actually be perfect for those two long climbs in the sun. Would anyone actually just wear a cycling jersey? 

4 waves eh?  Looks like I'm going to be in a wave after yours.  I'll find out today when I pick up my packet. =)

Tri top and shorts for me too.  Where did you read that report about the freezing guy last year?  I don't remember seeing anyone wearing a cycling jersey in a triathlon but then again, I really don't pay attention to what people are wearing. ^_^

2011-10-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3716116

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

van_paulus - 2011-10-08 6:37 AM
kloofyroland - 2011-10-07 10:21 PM Did either of you see how many confirmed Olympic distance racers there are by chance when you picked up your packet?
About 350 registered between HIM and OLY . with room for registration today and tomorrow morning.

That's it??? Wow!  I thought there would be 500.  Must be because this course is very grueling and intimidating.  We are not afraid!!!  We are going to kill it!!! =D

2011-10-08 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodland Hills, CA
I just got back from the 10K.  I took 2nd overall.  I'll be back out there tomorrow handing out Wheaties Fuel.  Stop by my table and say hi.  Have a great race.  
2011-10-08 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3716327

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Destroyer - 2011-10-08 1:11 PM

I just got back from the 10K.  I took 2nd overall.  I'll be back out there tomorrow handing out Wheaties Fuel.  Stop by my table and say hi.  Have a great race.  

Wow congrats on the Hardware .. You probably got your number from me as I was volunteering at the registration

2011-10-08 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3716001

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
homhead - 2011-10-07 11:25 PM

Tri shorts and Sleeveless cycling top as i want the three pockets to:
store my sunglasses on the climbs
, take on a water bottle at the exchange near the power and
, store a supply of goo gels
Also will be wearing the cycling gloves and socks

2011-10-08 8:25 PM

User image

Well, this is it. Good luck to everyone tomorrow. I went to the packet pickup today and it was pretty quiet.

2011-10-08 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3716327

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Destroyer - 2011-10-08 1:11 PM I just got back from the 10K.  I took 2nd overall.  I'll be back out there tomorrow handing out Wheaties Fuel.  Stop by my table and say hi.  Have a great race.  

Congratulations man!  See you tmw! =)

2011-10-08 11:09 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Transition bag packed and ready to go!  Left my bike in transition today to save time tomorrow morning.  Good luck everyone!  Sleep well tonight if you can. =)

~Roland

2011-10-10 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Wow!  What a brutal race for my first Oly!  Finished a bit behind my goal time but did the run seem longer than a 10K???  My sportband reported something closer 6.7.  Blistery feet, quad cramps on last 2 ascents, and a fake out finish really slowed me down. >.<  I did beat 4 hours though yay!!!
2011-10-10 4:38 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
I really liked the course. It's a worthy challenge. The weather was good ,clear skies, no wind . The lake was 68F. The bike course was open to cars but i only saw a couple on their way to a paintball park. Water bottles exchange before climbs was great. I liked doing half the HIM run course (a quarter marathon) even though it made our announced 10 km more like 10.6 km.

2011-10-10 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3718266

It was a fun course but the hills on the bike are definitely intimidating. Still, glad I did it. I stayed in the saddle almost the whole time except about 30 seconds on the second ascent. I'm not bragging since the lead cyclist was on his bike 45 min less than me! But I feel pretty good now. My legs and behind are now a bit sore but happy to be able to say we "all did it!" Congrats to the rest of you on this site who finished and thanks for all the input and encouragement. 
2011-10-26 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Would you do this race M3 if they moved to June instead of October ?

2011-10-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3739247

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

van_paulus - 2011-10-26 12:45 PM Would you do this race M3 if they moved to June instead of October ?

I'm not sure until I get an exact date.  I have several bowling tourneys that happen in June and July.  Seems like a good idea?  The weather wouldn't be as extremely hot?

2011-11-07 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3739247

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
I think that June would be a tough one because of the temperatures.
2011-11-07 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Actually Renegade said they checked with the park for June availability and there was none so they
wont be moving the date,
So the race will be back in october 2012
2011-11-08 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3893413

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

van_paulus - 2011-11-07 4:56 PM Actually Renegade said they checked with the park for June availability and there was none so they wont be moving the date, So the race will be back in october 2012

Roger that.  Thanks Paul.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports Chalet Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2