General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spectators Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-08-23 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern New Hampshire
Subject: Spectators

I used the search feature to see if a similar topic exists. My apologies if this has already been discussed.

I ran my fourth Tri alone this past weekend. I didn't invite anyone to watch me race (family, friends, girlfriend) because I picked up subtle hints over my past three Tris that they were bored silly at each race. The race organizers go out of their way to provide entertainment (bands, solo musician, DJ's, etc) but there isn't much for spectators to do while waiting for me to return from a bike or run.

It's also a tough sell to ask my family to get up at 5AM, drive X number of miles (or hours) to an event for a 7AM start, and then have them be bored. It was kind of a bummer to cross the finish line this weekend with no one I knew watching.I'm gung-ho about Tris but no one else I know is.

Does anyone else no longer invite their friends/family to watch you at a Tri?

2011-08-23 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3655196

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Spectators
I guess I'm lucky someone is almost always there. The only times there wasn't was when my wife was still on the course.

People who care about you will be there reguardless if it's "fun" for them or not.....period!

Anyway, try some cool destination races with other things to do, that would be fun for them. Also, suggest they sit by the bike out. That's always good comedy!!
2011-08-23 10:24 AM

User image

Chicago
My wife loves to come watch so she'd be at pretty much all my races with kids in tow, but it doesn't always work out.  I'll likely be flying solo at a race later this year.  I'm cool with it, I do most of my training solo too, and just use the whole thing as "me" time, which I almost never get outside of training.  I'm usually not one to be super crazy excited and huggy after a race anyway - I enjoy myself, but am also usually pissed about some aspect of my race or my performance, so it doesn't bother me to not have people telling me how great I did if I personally think I only did OK.
2011-08-23 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
My wife is always at my tri's. It has helped that my last two were in Hawaii and Sonoma Valley.

I also do a lot of running races. At least one every three weeks or so. Mostly local races. I almost always do those alone which I do not mind.
2011-08-23 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago Area

My wife has been at all 3 of my tri's and brought our 3 boys along too.  I know what you mean about that bored look in their eyes also I know it's difficult for the wife with 3 little boys under 6 years of age getting bored.  At my last one I kept dropping hints about her not having to come, but she wanted to be there for me which I'm proud of.

If someday she decided it was too much for the 4 of them to make it out would completely understand, but I do love the hugs and high fives when I cross the finish line.

2011-08-23 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3655230

User image

Lafayette, CO

Meulen - 2011-08-23 9:13 AM I guess I'm lucky someone is almost always there. The only times there wasn't was when my wife was still on the course. People who care about you will be there reguardless if it's "fun" for them or not.....period! Anyway, try some cool destination races with other things to do, that would be fun for them. Also, suggest they sit by the bike out. That's always good comedy!!

Wow.  I disagree with that blanket statement.  I have a lot of people who care about me, I don't ask them to come to races very often (only asked 1 to come to my first HM and my mom and stepdad flew in for my first tri).  This is MY hobby, why should they be expected to be at every event? 

I am fortunate though that the vast majority of races I have my running club there for me. At this weekend's 13.1 I came to the finish which ran right by the beer garden.  With most being faster than I there was a crowd of about 10 of my teammates who all yelled at the top of their lungs for me.  Every single person in the beer garden turned to see what the ruckus was about.  Sure made me feel special (and a little embarrassed). 

2011-08-23 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
My wife and kids are rarely at my races unless it is a part of trip that has a dual purpose, i.e. visiting family.  It is just too crazy for her to run around with a 3 and 6 year old.  I would like them there but I know that unless I specifically ask her to go that it would just be too much trouble.  And in the end it is ok because I would probably feel the same way.  However, it is nice to have a loved one at the finish.
2011-08-23 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3655230

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Meulen - 2011-08-23 10:13 AMPeople who care about you will be there reguardless if it's "fun" for them or not.....period!
Seriously? maybe if you cared about them you wouldn't require they be somewhere "not fun"? Triathlon is a lousy spectator sport at best, I gain little benefit from having friends and family being on site where I can glimpse them in the few minutes it takes me to pass through transition. YMMV.
in reply to: #3655283

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
COSkiGirl - 2011-08-23 10:42 AM

Meulen - 2011-08-23 9:13 AM I guess I'm lucky someone is almost always there. The only times there wasn't was when my wife was still on the course. People who care about you will be there reguardless if it's "fun" for them or not.....period! Anyway, try some cool destination races with other things to do, that would be fun for them. Also, suggest they sit by the bike out. That's always good comedy!!

Wow.  I disagree with that blanket statement.  I have a lot of people who care about me, I don't ask them to come to races very often (only asked 1 to come to my first HM and my mom and stepdad flew in for my first tri).  This is MY hobby, why should they be expected to be at every event? 

I am fortunate though that the vast majority of races I have my running club there for me. At this weekend's 13.1 I came to the finish which ran right by the beer garden.  With most being faster than I there was a crowd of about 10 of my teammates who all yelled at the top of their lungs for me.  Every single person in the beer garden turned to see what the ruckus was about.  Sure made me feel special (and a little embarrassed). 

maybe that didn't come across right. There are always times things don't work out, but yes, people who care about you should be making an effort if they know it's important to you.

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Most of the time I have spectators, but not always.  For local races (tris or running races) my usually wife comes along bringing our Corgi but my kids only a few times.  It is sort of the same old same old after a while. 

My family comes to my IM races, usually everyone but sometimes not.  My youngest daughter (16) takes pride in having been the only family member at all 8 of my IMs.  Lake Placid, Cozumel, Arizona, Canada, Coeur d'Alene.  Some better places than others for spectators during the race, and things to do pre-race.  Canada is really boring for spectators, the others not so much.

2011-08-23 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago

I flew solo for my last race, and this weekend's will be the first my boyfriend has come to.  My parents came to one in July - I like having people there but I'm perfectly happy making friends there

The last one where I was solo, I kind of enjoyed the "me" time it gave me.

2011-08-23 11:21 AM

Veteran
Perhaps a big benefit of joining a club or team is the "family" support and cheering at races.
2011-08-23 11:30 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut

I don't think it is fair for me to ask my husband and three kids to get up before dawn and come to an event that is for me.  So my husband stays with the kids and I get to go and have fun.  It is what works for us.  Perhaps one day they will come to a race but if not, that is okay too. 

2011-08-23 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3655289

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
TeddieMao - 2011-08-23 8:44 AM

My wife and kids are rarely at my races unless it is a part of trip that has a dual purpose, i.e. visiting family.  It is just too crazy for her to run around with a 3 and 6 year old.  I would like them there but I know that unless I specifically ask her to go that it would just be too much trouble.  And in the end it is ok because I would probably feel the same way.  However, it is nice to have a loved one at the finish.

I'm in the same boat. It really is a long day for my wife and it tests her endurance to have the kids at my longer races.

I work pretty hard to pick one point on the run in which we can see each other and then at the finish if that is possible. When I see them, I purposely stop, give kisses and hugs and let them know that I love them. I've seen too many people that want family at races but mostly want to run by quickly with their race face on. I think this is rude and confusing to kids.

Another thing I've noticed is finish line is a really chaotic place for my kids. The noise between the cheering, music and crowds can wig them out. So I totally understand that it may not work for them at this time. Also, it really is hard to stuff my face while my family wait.

2011-08-23 11:36 AM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

It's nice to have a reception or a crowd at the finish- the noise, the music, Mike Reilly shouting "YOU! Are an IRONMAN!"

Mostly though, I'm in my own little world. I don't see what is goingon around me because I'm pretty focused on what I'm doing and concentrating hard on doing it. Crowds are cool- they make you feel "pro", but the noise can be disturbing when you are trying to concentrate on getting through the discomfort.

I don't want or need friends other than participants at the finish line. They can't relate. I do like to cross the finish line and sit with other competitors though. I really enjoy that. At Steelhead they had a little "recovery area" just past the finish chute. Same with Vineman. No spectators allowed- only competitors. You could sit down, get a cool drink, put a wet towel over your head and just kind of be part of the "scene" wth the other athletes. It's cool: Thrown Room of the Gods....  Wink

2011-08-23 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3655296

User image

Lafayette, CO
Meulen - 2011-08-23 9:46 AM

maybe that didn't come across right. There are always times things don't work out, but yes, people who care about you should be making an effort if they know it's important to you.

So you mentioned a wife that was still out on the course.  Do you ever ask someone to attend your races that are not in the sport? 

2011-08-23 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
I'm going to my next one alone. The second one, my family didn't even get there until 30 minutes after I crossed the finish line. Kind of pointless. Since the next one is four hours away, I just told them to bag it. It's kind of a bummer, but I understand that they don't get the same excitement I do from watching random strangers swim, bike, and run. :-)
2011-08-23 11:56 AM

Master
Northern IL
I've never asked anyone to come to a race.  I race because I like it and it's for me.  I don't need any fanfare at the finish or anywhere on the course.  The self-satisfaction is more than enough.  People will ask when my next event is because they're curious about what I'm doing and I'll tell them.  If they show, they show.  If not, they don't.  It doesn't make a difference one way or another.  I don't want to make people feel like they have to be there, especially with me because I do actually prefer not having many (or any) people around.
2011-08-23 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
My husband has been to all of my running races and attended my first (only) tri.  He is trying to get days off for the other two tri's I'm doing this year.  I love having him at the finish line and he is good about finding ways to stay occupied while I race.  Yup, he's the best! Our adult son was at my first tri too.  That was pretty cool.

Edited by rrrunner 2011-08-23 12:03 PM
2011-08-23 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3655425

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
COSkiGirl - 2011-08-23 11:50 AM

Meulen - 2011-08-23 9:46 AM

So you mentioned a wife that was still out on the course.  Do you ever ask someone to attend your races that are not in the sport? 

I don't ask. People come out. Especially, local races. My parents, in-laws, my cousin, some friends have all come out. None of them are active people at all. I've even had my parents travel to a race, and friends come out to a race that was within an 1 hour from their house but I travelled to.

Edited by Meulen 2011-08-23 11:59 AM

Regular
Raleigh

My guys have been to a half marathon, but not to any of the tris I've done so far.  Same as some other posters - crazy to get young kids up at a ridiculously early hour and have them bored to tears.

It really doesn't bother me all that much and has become somewhat of a running joke.  They are always interested in how I did and want a call soon after I've finished.  It's just practicality.

I have a friend who competes in many of the same events and her family are usually there - we joke that they adopt me for race days.  Smile 

in reply to: #3655425

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I assumed everyone thought my races were boring (I know my husband thinks so), but I have a few people who really like cheering and have come to my events without my asking.  Actually my mom said she felt bad because I didn't invite her.   I feel kind of silly as a 34 year old married woman having my mom come, but at least I didn't do sports when I was kid so maybe she's making up for lost time.  My mom actually drove, stopped and cheered at about 4 places during my 3.4 mile run at last weekend's Ragnar since we ran near her house.  Pretty amazing, I think.   She also came to my half iron distance race, which was was conveniently located in a nice vacation area, in addition to a handful of local sprints.

I actually find having a spectator very stressful. I feel like I have to talk to them at the beginning instead of focus on my task.  I also feel rushed at the end because they inevitably want to go for lunch, etc.

The perfect scenario for me is to go to a race alone but have a bunch of friends who are racing.  We can cheer each other on but also ignore each other if need be.  It's great to have a bunch of equally sweaty/dirty pals to hang out with during the awards/door prizes who want to stay exactly as long as I do.  Also no guilt about whether it was actually fun or even interesting.

I have been to races totally alone and that is sort of a buzz kill.  I tried to chat with people, but I guess I am not impressed enough with myself to not get lonely.

I have never actually spectated at a race, something I realized this summer.   I am going to do that for my BT friends next summer and see for myself what it's like.
2011-08-23 12:01 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
My daughters might kill my wife if they weren't allowed to come watch me race, but then again my daughters love it.  Not sure about the wife though.  My 4 year old is already asking about dualathons and just soaks up the atmosphere, not to mention the free fruit post race.  Yes my kids opt for the fruit instead of the pizza and cookies.  Embarassed
2011-08-23 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3655451

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
uhcoog - 2011-08-23 12:01 PM My daughters might kill my wife if they weren't allowed to come watch me race, but then again my daughters love it.  Not sure about the wife though.  My 4 year old is already asking about dualathons and just soaks up the atmosphere, not to mention the free fruit post race.  Yes my kids opt for the fruit instead of the pizza and cookies.  Embarassed

Speaking of spectators, I hate it when I find them in the food line... I hope this means you bring your own or give them your share?
2011-08-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3655447

User image

Chicago

BikerGrrrl - 2011-08-23 11:59 AM
I actually find having a spectator very stressful. I feel like I have to talk to them at the beginning instead of focus on my task.  I also feel rushed at the end because they inevitably want to go for lunch, etc.

I'm with you here...I actually had a houseful of spectators for my first couple races.  It's great having a supportive family, but trying to entertain out of town guests (even if they're family), when you're nervous as hell and just trying to get your ducks in a row for your first tri is not cool.  I eventually put the ban on them and said, if you wanna come that's great, but don't bother me before the race...don't even look in my direction, I can't handle it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spectators Rss Feed  

of 3