Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-08-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3655196

User image

Expert
Prattville, AL
Subject: RE: Spectators
My wife has attended a couple of my races but she has told me that she is not interested in going anymore... too early, very boring from a spectator perspective and she is really not interested in triathlons to begin with... the sport of triathlons from my perspective is that they are a fairly selfish sport... I relish in the opportunity to share in my personal successes with my family but I certainly don't want the resentment aspect of them feeling like they are forced to attend either... if they want to come... GREAT... if not... great... I miss the company on the ride to/from but sharing the details of the event with someone not really interested is not very satisfying either... it is what it is at this point... Undecided

2011-08-23 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3655468

User image

Veteran
Southern New Hampshire
BikerGrrrl - 2011-08-23 11:59 AM

I actually find having a spectator very stressful. I feel like I have to talk to them at the beginning instead of focus on my task.  I also feel rushed at the end because they inevitably want to go for lunch, etc. 

Even though I was a bit bummed not having a loved one at the finish line, I did like not feeling the additional pressure to have to focus on them in addition to the race. It's a good thing too because my pre-race routine was all fouled up at this past race due to breaking off my bike's valve stem in my tire pump 20 mins before the race. I also liked being able to enjoy the post-race activities (like Food!...LOL) without feeling rushed.

I guess there are pros and cons to having spectators. I appreciate everyone's comments...thx!

2011-08-23 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3655283

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
COSkiGirl - 2011-08-23 8:42 AM

I am fortunate though that the vast majority of races I have my running club there for me. At this weekend's 13.1 I came to the finish which ran right by the beer garden.  With most being faster than I there was a crowd of about 10 of my teammates who all yelled at the top of their lungs for me.  Every single person in the beer garden turned to see what the ruckus was about.  Sure made me feel special (and a little embarrassed). 

^^^^This.  Find a tri or running club in your area and you will rarely be alone at the race.  It's a lot of fun having people around that are as excited about the event as you are and....are actually interested in your minute by minute race analysisUndecided Not to mention a ton of support on and off the course each time you see another club jersey. 

If you don't have clubs where you are I met a lot of my running friends on-line. Now, my favorite part of road races is seeing all my running peeps.  Not to mention the pre race excitement and post race refueling/rehydrating together.

I have never asked or expected someone to a race.  If it's a destination race and I have friends and family they will usually come out but I don't have them come until close to when I expect to finish.  I can't imagine asking them to stand around for hours.  Volunteering at an event is another option for friends/family members.  It keeps them busy and can actually be a lot of fun.

Don't worry....the longer you keep at it, the fewer non tri/runner/cyclist friends you will have so every race will pretty much be like a 'family reunion'.

2011-08-23 1:18 PM

I'm a widow and my family lives out of town, so it's not like there are a lot of people available to watch me race.  When I started running my son was 12 and I very definitely did NOT want him down at the race by himself.  He did come out for a marathon that went two blocks from our house.  He trotted up to me and said "Mom, I was on Amazon and I found this game..."  Then he proceeded to jog down the street along side me, bugging him to buy this game for him.  I had been running in the pouring rain for 3 1/2 hours, but did he care?Laughing

My boyfriend has come out for the races I've done since we've met and I was very glad to have him at my first tri because I was worried about driving myself home.  He's a musician and brings his banjo to play while waiting.  It's nice of him to come, but I've told him he doesn't have to and I would understand if he didn't. 

2011-08-23 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3655613

User image

, Texas

I've had family at about 85% of my races. My races have always either been local or at a campground we've camped at. For the local ones, they'd leave (much) later than me with the plan to see me come in off the bike and stick around for the finish. I've also only raced sprints & olys, so it's not too bad.

Sometimes, they just don't feel like going and I'd never think any less of them for it.

2011-08-23 1:51 PM

User image

Bountiful UTAH
My wife comes and brings a book. She likes sitting in the shade and reading while I am racing. She has set my gear up in the transition area while I checked in on a couple occasions. There has been a couple races where we were only start time and finish time. She does a good job of keeping track of my transition times and yells them out to me. (pre-Garmin)

On one occasion I was racing with a guy from work. (I can't stand him) we made a joke of her yelling "BRIAN IS WINNING!" it was fun to have her yelling at me when I came into T1 and T2. Even though I beat him by 10 minutes, he blamed it on his bike out of T1 and his running shoes out of T2...

2011-08-23 1:54 PM

Everyone who says triathlons are boring for spectators have never been to a half much less a full marathon.  Just due to the nature of the sport, they get to see you a minimum of 4 times: start, T1, T2, finish.  That can't be said for a longer run race where you leave and never come back until the finish.

My wife loves coming to the races.  Like others have said, she usually reads or goes on a short walk in between my predicted arrival times for transition and finishing.

2011-08-23 2:38 PM

Master
Northern IL
Or some might say that the marathon is even more boring.
2011-08-23 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3655680

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
fuzzy34 - 2011-08-23 1:54 PM

Everyone who says triathlons are boring for spectators have never been to a half much less a full marathon.  Just due to the nature of the sport, they get to see you a minimum of 4 times: start, T1, T2, finish.  That can't be said for a longer run race where you leave and never come back until the finish.

My wife loves coming to the races.  Like others have said, she usually reads or goes on a short walk in between my predicted arrival times for transition and finishing.

I agree!!! I'm not racing this weekend at all. I'm being a spectator for my wife at the Chicago tri. I had a blast last year. I took pictures and cheered her on. Chicago is really great for this cuz you can actually walk along the harbor wall through the whole swim. I had a blast watching people come out of T1 with helmets backwords and all the other mishaps! It was a comedy show!! To top it off you get to see the smile on her face when she finishes and know how all that training paid off. I'm into tri's so it's fun for me to even check out all the fancy bikes, but even if I wasn't, the time spent there is exactly what you make of it. People could figure out how to have a good time there if they want to.
2011-08-23 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
My next one I'll be doing alone or with a friend whose participating or genuinely interested in going. My first tri this past July, my boyfriend and my son came and I could tell my bf was not happy about having to stand around after the swim during the bike and run.  Plus, he's not an athletic person, period.  That day did not end well, and let's just say I'll never ask him to come to another.
2011-08-23 7:07 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

My immediate family hates coming to my races too. The kids are bored and my husband hates crowds and meeting new people. This makes the experience kind of excruciating for them. So mostly I don't make them even though I appreciate the support. If it's a really important race to me and I feel like I really, really need them, I do make them come. But most races I will know a ton of people from my tri club and so I don't need them and don't make them since I know how miserable they will be.

I've tried the "destination race" concept but I couldn't get anyone in my family to come with me to those races either. They are coming to WDW for the Marathon Weekend but I bet they won't actually come out to the race unless I insist (which I probably won't as I'm doing the races with friends). But I tried to bribe them with Cozemel and Canada and they just weren't interested.

OTOH, my mom loves crowds and meeting new people and is coming to IMC and I'm sure she'll have a blast. Too bad she lives on the other coast from me and so can't get to too many of my races.

2011-08-23 7:41 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

Why do they have to be there at the beginning? Why not just have them come around the time you will be finishing?

My husband has been to all my races and I have been to all of his, our kids come to some of them. When I did my HIM my husband saw me get out of the water and leave for the bike then he went home, got some chow, packed up the kids and drove back. They were there for my multi lap run.

It does not have to be a 5am deal. They can show at 8:30 or whatever time you will be finishing and then everybody is happy.

2011-08-23 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3655295

User image

Master
Canandaigua

the bear - 2011-08-23 11:46 AM
Meulen - 2011-08-23 10:13 AMPeople who care about you will be there reguardless if it's "fun" for them or not.....period!
Seriously? maybe if you cared about them you wouldn't require they be somewhere "not fun"? Triathlon is a lousy spectator sport at best, I gain little benefit from having friends and family being on site where I can glimpse them in the few minutes it takes me to pass through transition. YMMV.

2xxxxx

My wife came to my first one to support me.  After that I have discouraged attendance as i don't care to watch paint dry either.  I do get a big benefit if I do get to see them and get some cheering.  I'm sure get more you get more then you think Bear.  MYMP.

2011-08-24 6:30 AM

User image

Veteran

My wife was very supportive of my first Tri.  She was there bright and early to wish me well and to remind me not drown on the swim.  The problem I had with it was all the logistics that go into inviting someone to come and watch.  Did she find parking, can she find me, does she have everything she and our 5 year old will need, what if they see  me make a complete fool of myself(ok, happens all too often).

The second one I did I went solo, while it was awesome being able to get into my early morning ritual where i enjoy my ipod and some mental alone/focus time, I was also left feeling a little bit sad at the finish.  It's great when they come so here's what we do.....I can realisticlly set a finish time within 30 minutes and if they make it they make it and if they don't they don't.  I usually look for them at the end of the run near the finish line about a 1/2 mile out and they cheer me on through the last of the event.

They seem to show for anything longer than a sprint which works for me and them since I only do sprints they are not commited to attending but 1 Oly event a year.  Since i'm BOP they have plenty of time to sleep in and still cheer me on. This works out great for all of us.

2011-08-24 7:35 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Do the Rev 3 Cedar Point. Your family (if your kids are old enough, mine are 8 and 13) will drop everything to get into the park with almost no one else there. Of course my son was too busy riding roller coasters to actually come see me at the finish line.

Before we even left the 2010 race the kids were begging me to do this race again.

For other races; I have gone to about 90% of my races solo. I like it when my wife comes and cheers but don't expect her to get out of bed to watch me run around in spandex.
2011-08-24 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3656297

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
dexter - 2011-08-23 8:30 PM

the bear - 2011-08-23 11:46 AM
Meulen - 2011-08-23 10:13 AMPeople who care about you will be there reguardless if it's "fun" for them or not.....period!
Seriously? maybe if you cared about them you wouldn't require they be somewhere "not fun"? Triathlon is a lousy spectator sport at best, I gain little benefit from having friends and family being on site where I can glimpse them in the few minutes it takes me to pass through transition. YMMV.

2xxxxx

My wife came to my first one to support me.  After that I have discouraged attendance as i don't care to watch paint dry either.  I do get a big benefit if I do get to see them and get some cheering.  I'm sure get more you get more then you think Bear.  MYMP.

I don't require anyone to do anything. They just do. I enjoy people being there but I don't think it would be the end of the world if they were not. Apparently, I'm lucky, or more people care about me than some of you others! LOL

2011-08-24 9:12 AM

User image

2011-08-24 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

I have been reading through the replies and have found each person's experience very interesting.  My wife is my biggest fan.  She bought me a TT bike, she worries when I take a day off (even though it was a scheduled day off)  She helps me set up my transitions,  she yells my swim time when I come out of the water, the list goes on and on.

Every time one of these types of threads come up I check in with her to make sure she doesn't feel pressured to do any of this.  She laughs at that and says "You couldn't keep me away from the races".  Her and my daughter have a blast.  I'm lucky.  

2011-08-24 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3655788

User image

Extreme Veteran
Meulen - 2011-08-23 3:40 PM

I agree!!! I'm not racing this weekend at all. I'm being a spectator for my wife at the Chicago tri. I had a blast last year. I took pictures and cheered her on. Chicago is really great for this cuz you can actually walk along the harbor wall through the whole swim. I had a blast watching people come out of T1 with helmets backwords and all the other mishaps! It was a comedy show!! To top it off you get to see the smile on her face when she finishes and know how all that training paid off. I'm into tri's so it's fun for me to even check out all the fancy bikes, but even if I wasn't, the time spent there is exactly what you make of it. People could figure out how to have a good time there if they want to.

This is good to know.  I'm racing Chicago this weekend, and my husband is going to be on the course with our 4 kids - ages 6, 4, 3, and 18 mos.    He's taken them to at least a half dozen races this year, and it always works out. 

2011-08-24 11:22 AM

My 18 year old daughter has been on the finish line for my two previous races, but could not attend my du last week-end, and even though I understood why she could not come, I was a bit sad when nobody was there to cheer for me at the finish line... especially since I came in almost last !

2011-08-24 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3657017

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
jarvy01 - 2011-08-24 10:57 AM

Meulen - 2011-08-23 3:40 PM

This is good to know.  I'm racing Chicago this weekend, and my husband is going to be on the course with our 4 kids - ages 6, 4, 3, and 18 mos.    He's taken them to at least a half dozen races this year, and it always works out. 

last year I saw my wife the entire swim at Chicago. I then went over to transition to catch her sitting on her butt getting her cycling shoes one! I ran to the bike out, and saw her leave on the bike. I saw her come in on the bike and walked around transition to watch her start her run. I caught her one more time on the run course and then at the finish. That would be a lot of running with kids in tow, but there are still plenty opportunities to see you at Chicago. There is tons of things to do within walking distance of the course too. If the kids get board they can go over to Millenium park and splash around in the animated fountain. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiXxeiWoJ-0) They can go see the been or eat at Benigans on Michigan Ave. The expo at Chicago is the best tri expo I've seen too, and the resteraunts in the area are REALLY good!!!

2011-08-24 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Always by myself. Tri's are boring to watch. I love them enough not to ask. And honestly, I'm fine with it. I don't have to worry about whether or not they're bored, hot an miserable for hours. My wife and kids have been to a few but the novelty wore off years ago!
2011-08-24 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3655374

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
abier - 2011-08-23 11:21 AM Perhaps a big benefit of joining a club or team is the "family" support and cheering at races.

X2. I'm a member of a large club and the support you get when you wear the colors is pretty cool--both from spectators and participants.

Edited by zed707 2011-08-24 2:09 PM
2011-08-24 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3656227

User image

Veteran
KeriKadi - 2011-08-23 7:41 PM

Why do they have to be there at the beginning? Why not just have them come around the time you will be finishing?

My husband has been to all my races and I have been to all of his, our kids come to some of them. When I did my HIM my husband saw me get out of the water and leave for the bike then he went home, got some chow, packed up the kids and drove back. They were there for my multi lap run.

It does not have to be a 5am deal. They can show at 8:30 or whatever time you will be finishing and then everybody is happy.

^^^^x1 this is what I did for my duathlon my sister and I competed in last weekend. My wife brought both kids was really upset she did not get there in time to get any pictures of me competing. I finished before she got there with the kids. She is an photographer and is always experimenting with the lighting, shutter speed, etc.

Its her hobby! like mine is biking and working out!

PS I know my sister and since her husband went to work instead of coming to the race. It hurt her feelings.

2011-08-24 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3657430

User image

Veteran

what is like being a part of a club? do you just pay your dues and then what? do you run together compete together?

what?

sorry if it is a dumb question!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spectators Rss Feed  

of 3