Charlottesville Triathlon Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 10s
Overall Rank = 15/96
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am ate a bagel with nutella and a banana. Tried to make some coffee with a camping percolator, but wasn't able to get it hot enough to boil the water (didn't have a camping stove). booo.. no real coffee
Event warmup:

Got used to the water, swam for a few hundred yards. Tried to stay in the water as it was still pretty chilly outside, but the water was pretty warm.
Swim
  • 20m 45s
  • 1320 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Curioius about the actual distance, plus I want to see the final results to see how my swim ranked in the overall, but it was pretty cool to get out past the pack after the first turn. I did notice that someone was blazingly fast to the first buoey and figured that Dominick did actually show up as there aren't many people in xterra who can swim like that. Nobody worth drafting off of this race so I swam alone and ended up passing a lot of people from the waves in front of me. I felt very good and comfortable/relaxed during this swim and ready for the hard bike.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, seeing the file from my 310xt, my HR when I exit the water is in the mid-high 150's, only about 10 beats away from the efforts that used to blow me up.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I'm used to a longer run to transition, so getting my socks on my really wet feet was a bit harder than I was used to. I also took the extra time to put my glove on in transition instead of the course as I had noticed that there was almost no real road warm up, it went right in to singletrack.

get socks/shoes on faster
Bike
  • 1h 15m 35s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 9.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode this course pretty tentatively as my goal was to not blow up and to keep the rubber side down. I misjudged some of the climbs based on the map I read so I didn't go hard enough on the climb to the park entrance, and then went too tentatively after crossing the road as I thought the first tough climb was always going to be right around the corner.

I missed a turn late in the race, luckily someone who wasn't affiliated with the race told me I was going the wrong way and I only lost a few seconds plus the time to get back up to speed. Guy behind me was gracious enough to let me enter the single track before him.

Pre-ride the course.. plan a trip down there next year as I also don't like the idea of pre-riding the day before the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Chip time got screwey here and said my T2 was 1:00, but of the three of us who hit T2 at the same time, I was the first out so I'm using the time from my garmin.

Remember how to get to my place, I didn't practice it during my race prep and I didn't find my spot as quickly as I should have.
Run
  • 30m 44s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Judging by how I felt on the run compared to the HR numbers, I paced this one right. Not sure how I thought I could run 7's here.. 7's on the trail is blazing fast, so I guess I wasn't expecting the run to be this hard.

Nothing.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the bike course, probably left a good 3+ minutes out there because of it. Don't know how much of my run would have suffered as a result, but I'll still take it as I wasn't about to leave my wife all alone while I pre-rode the course the day before the race.

Last updated: 2011-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:45 | 1320 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 0/96
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: two turn course through the relatively small lake, basically a triangle with one of the ends cut off where we run on the beach about 100 yards to enter the water again for the second lap.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:35 | 11.5 miles | 9.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Performance:
Avg HR 164, Max 179
Wind:
Course: Ride almost all the trails of Walnut creek state park. First 3 miles are rolling single track, then things get a bit twisty and the climbing starts. Cross the entrance road and go through a very fast and swoopy section before coming to the first of two technical climbs. Climbs are eroded roots, loose rocks with switchbacks so traction can be an issue, go down, then up another loose rooted switchback climb. Descend down to the lake, and back up again through a cool rocky section. Down and up one more time and come back by the lake again and follow that to the transition area.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:44 | 04 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/13
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 8:07 170 HR Avg, 179 max Mile 2: 7:57 169 HR Avg, 176 max Mile 3: 8:13 170 HR avg, 178 max Mile 4: 6:29 (7:20 avg) 173 HR avg, 179 max
Course: First 3.25 miles same as the bike course, rolling terrain with a few hills, come out on the road and take that back to the start/finish area. GPS distance for me was 3.88 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes