General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 5h 36m 49s
Overall Rank = 46/128
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/17
Pre-race routine:

I was working all day before into the night shift. No exercise, just relaxed at my office desk. I have eaten Ramen Noodle soup at about 9pm and have some buttermilk at midnight when I got home from work. I woke up an hour earlier because of the thunderstorm. All the way to the Springfield was wondering if they have the same weather. I decided not to drive in my tri-suite, and it took me a long time to walk to bathrooms and wait twice in line! I should have done it in one trip.
Event warmup:

Jumped into the water and swim round for about 5 minutes.
Swim
  • 40m 14s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was ok, I did not really put all the effort knowing that there is a bike/run ahead. The water was calm and I had no problem to spot the buoys, but I relied more on the crowd, the white cups were more visible.
When I got out of the water the crowd by the water yelled: "You are in top 10!" But in the middle of the hill they start yelling: "You are in top 20!" however nobody passed me... :))
What would you do differently?:

I need to learn how to swim
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

The uphill run to T1 is not my favorite, but I knew about it and expected it. Did not run the full speed, just normal.

Get to the race earlier. It was very little space on the rack when I showed up.
Bike
  • 2h 48m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.98 mile/hr
Comments:

I have ride the course a week or so before, so it was familiar. I have decided to ride the first lap saving the energy and fire up the second lap. I did not raise on my pedals the first lap, I was just trying to keep my speed above 20 MPH. Did not need water, I had the Profile Design bottle between my aerobars and it was great. I sipped as I felt I needed, and finished 32 oz in about 30 miles. But when I tried to add more water into it, I spilled it all over and my computer went down! So the rest of the course I had no idea what my speed/time/distance was. I had three or four gels too.

My shoulder got sore, and my seat bones felt uncomfortable at the end, though I did not have such problem before. I need to re-adjust my aero bars + seat again, or get rid of them completely and get a TT bike instead.

I did not reach my goal of 20 MPH average, but was close to it like never before.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I did not have my rubber laces on my running shoes, but it was ok overall.

Nothing, maybe move my body faster.
Run
  • 2h 04m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

My running was the WORST. I have two pair of running shoes: older ones that will give a trouble after 10 miles, and newer ones that could be a trouble at ANY time, or NO trouble at all. I ran in them for 15 miles once and it was ok, but another time I started to hurt in 5-6 miles.

Anyway, my pinky toe started to hurt already after THIRD mile! I did not ever reach the first turn around and it was a pain. But then, both of my feet started to really hurt after the first turnaround, I felt like I was stepping on needles every step. I walked on aid stations, but walking hurt more so had to keep running. I had two or three gels, and dumped the water on my head anytime I could. Also kept an ice to my neck. The weather was great, I did not feel that it was too hot. Stopped once for the bathroom break.

Change the shoes?
Get inner soles?
have not decided yet.
Post race
Warm down:

When I kicked my running shoes off, it was a bloody mess, but I was fine by the end of the day. Just need to wear flip-flops for couple of days.
I did not want to eat, so have to force a banana into my mouth and some drinks. I did not dehydrate, no leg pain, nothing bothered me the next day. lost the 7 lb though.
I was kind of dizzy on my was back, so set my car on cruise control and did not drive fast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My poor swimming
My aerobar position.
My running shoes

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:14 | 2112 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 56/128
Performance: Good
Suit: Full size
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:48:11 | 56 miles | 19.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/128
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:04:56 | 13.1 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/128
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-25 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon

2011-08-25 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3659206

User image

Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon
Good job and don't be too hard on yourself!
2011-08-26 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3659206

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon
Nice race! Hope you can figure out your shoe issues before the next one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed