General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Annapolis HM - new race! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-25 7:29 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Annapolis HM - new race!

Presenting the Inaugural Annapolis Half Marathon 

Join us on November 19, 2011 for the newest half marathon on the east coast. Enjoy a course through beautiful, historic Annapolis, MD.

Register Now

Race Highlights

• Inaugural Half Marathon in Maryland’s capital city
  • Performance ¼ zip
    long sleeve shirt to all registrants
  • Great medal and 
    additional premium
    at the finish
  • Everyone is guaranteed an Annapolis Half PR
    (this year only!)
  • Prize money to top three overall and first masters finishers
  • Avg November high temp of 56°F, avg low of 36°F
  • Scenic course throughout historic Annapolis
  • Start and Finish at Navy-Marine Corps Stadium
  • Finish Line Party featuring music by The Rovers
  • Plenty of food and beverages!
  • All net proceeds go back to charitable organizations in Annapolis

http://www.annapolishalf.com/

2011-08-26 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3659966

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Subject: RE: Annapolis HM - new race!
I've been kicking around the idea of running the Richmond HM to keep me motivated but this is pretty tempting.  I've heard that Annapolis has a habit of canceling or changing races at the last minute because people complain about the course.  Anyone have a an idea if this might be at risk?
2011-08-26 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland

I know the race directors have run the Annapolis 10 mile race before so they are probably pretty experienced in working with the city.

As far as I know the A10 hasn't ever been canceled because of community issues.

2011-08-27 2:00 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Registered!
2011-08-28 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Looks like alot of fun! I wasnt going to sign up for a 1/2mary until next year but this has me thinkng about this year. Just want some others point of view, farthest I have ever run is a 10k and it was hilly but I did it in 1:12:03, given that time and amount of time left before the race, do you think I have enough time to safely train for this race? All I want to do is finish but the website didnt say if there was a time limit or anything. All thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
2011-08-28 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3662895

User image

Master
University Park, MD

dmbfan4life20 - 2011-08-28 5:22 PM Looks like alot of fun! I wasnt going to sign up for a 1/2mary until next year but this has me thinkng about this year. Just want some others point of view, farthest I have ever run is a 10k and it was hilly but I did it in 1:12:03, given that time and amount of time left before the race, do you think I have enough time to safely train for this race? All I want to do is finish but the website didnt say if there was a time limit or anything. All thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, based on your logs for the past month, I'd say it's a bit of a stretch, and there's no need to hurry it. Probably better to work your way into regular running, and target a fall 10k where you can aim to destroy your previous 10k time. A little and often goes a long way in run training.

2011-09-05 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
signed up today. Hope to see some MD BTers down there.
2011-09-05 10:22 PM
in reply to: #3674001

User image

Pro
Burbs

dmbfan4life20 - 2011-09-05 9:31 PM signed up today. Hope to see some MD BTers down there.

Definitely! Maybe we can get together for a brunch afterwards??

2011-09-06 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3674109

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
trishie - 2011-09-05 11:22 PM

dmbfan4life20 - 2011-09-05 9:31 PM signed up today. Hope to see some MD BTers down there.

Absolutely that would be great. My girlfriend and I were planning on doing that anyway but are not really familiar with the area. MD BTer brunch sounds like a fun time.

2011-09-16 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodstock, MD
I'm in!
2011-10-19 7:06 PM

User image

Rock Hall
I'm registered and coming off of great Baltimore Half! Looking forward to Naptown.

2011-10-26 7:35 AM

User image

Elite
2011-10-28 7:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-11-08 10:42 AM

Master
Crab Cake City
10 more days people!
2011-11-16 9:05 PM

New user

Hi, everyone

I'm running the Annapolis HM this weekend, and I'm pretty excited.  I am new to beginnertriathlete.com and new to the sport of distance running and triathlon.  I'm a former high school and college athlete who got dangerously out of shape and am just getting active again.  I am proud to be a competitor and finisher, albeit my focus is the finishing part; I should probably classify myself as a participant and finisher.  I am pumped and crazy excited to be active and in realative good health.  46, father of 3, studying for personal trainer certification and building my fitness resume; I am so glad to be one of you...

I have completed the following events in 2011 (a couple events slip my mind at the moment)

1. Cherry Blossom 10 miler
  2. DC Triathlon
  3. Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k
  4. Bolt Blue Crab 10k trail run - Little River State Park
  5. Bolt Blue Crab 10k trail run - Little Bennet State Park
  6. DC Carribean Sounds 10k
  7. Fort Meade 5k
  8. Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon
  9. Marine Corps Marathon
2011-11-17 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3674109

Master
Millersville, MD
trishie - 2011-09-05 11:22 PM

I recently had brunch at Reynolds Tavern and for the sweet potato fries alone, you must go there.  Heck, I might consider running the half mary just for the right to get more fries.  They also have more brunchy items but I went straight for the lunch menu.  Reservation strongly encouraged.

2011-11-20 7:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Woodstock, MD

Fun race, but...

The good: No one else seemed to know they could turn onto Farragut Ave and pull into the parking from the back side - so once we made it to Farragut, smooth sailing.
The bad: No one else seemed to know they could turn onto Farragut Ave, and with no one directing traffic, the backup on 50 was rediculous. People we still arriving for the race at 6:45.

The good: Lots of time to talk to other runners.
The bad: Because the race didn't start at 7:00. More like 7:15. And standing around waiting was cold.

The good: My first ever HM, so a guaranteed PR at the distance.
The bad: My tri-club teammate's GPS measured it at 12.75 miles, so maybe I need to do another HM to qualify for a PR.

The good: No silly mile markers to distract me with how much further I had to suffer.
The bad: No, wait, my mistake, that's bad. Turns out the person who was supposed to set out the mile markers that morning had fractured his foot, and they had no backup plan for getting them set out.

The good: Lots of people at all the water tables. I never had to wait for water, never had to slow down.
The bad: The staffing they had for five water stops should have been used for six or seven stops. I was suffering pretty bad towards the end. And no gel, or blocks, just water and Gatorade.

The good: Tasty breakfast burritos right at the finish line.
The bad: All the emails promised a vegetarian option. I overheard one of the people handing out burritos say sorry, the vegetarian ones never showed up.

The good: The after race party had copious amounts of beer available, and the Rovers were downright rocking!
The bad: The beer was Bud Light or Fordham Light. Nuff said.

The ugly: Well, race pictures aren't available yet, so I'll spare you that part :-)

All in all, this race has so much potential: great location, great course, lots of people, lots of fun. Unfortunately, it seems pretty obvious this was the first time they ran a race like this, and some of the details of implementation weren't quite up to par. I will definitely do it again next year, and hope they've worked out the kinks by then.

And hope that I've worked out the kinks by then too: I hit the wall at mile 10, started to cramp a bit, had to slow down and suck wind to try to get myself going again. Probably I outran my fitness - ran at a pace I couldn't sustain. Crossing that bridge for the second time hurt. And I'm still sore this morning.

Now to slow down, recover, start back on base work, and get ready for next season - that's going to be a busy one for me!

2011-11-20 8:34 AM

Master
Crab Cake City
I agree with most everything that Wannanorseman said. It was also my first HM and I had a blast. Great setting and great views but I agree that I would have liked more water stops, mile markers for distraction, etc. Traffic was crazy!! during the morning. I came from Baltimore and traffic was backed up on RT 50 at the exit for Rowe BLVD and it took us close to 50mins to go 3miles. I didnt know that you could turn onto farragut ave either and there was nobody directing traffic (that early in the morning, nobody was on the roads but we all still had to wait for the lights). My GPS did measure the race at a little over 13.1 though. I was a little dissapointed in the post race food because I didnt like the burritos and the only other option was a banana, I would have liked a little more. Overall I think it was a well run race (for first time) and great race support and crowd support. One of my favorite things was people all over the course with cow bells and really funny signs to read which gave me a good laugh and provided a little extra boost. I am glad I finished and now I can spend the rest of the weekend being sore because I feel like I cant move lol.
2011-11-20 9:47 AM

2011-11-20 4:25 PM

Elite
If you run the A10 you know what a nightmare Rowe can be. I planned to be there at 6:15 and had no issues, but I was coming from MoCo.Pretty funny when some spectator asked ," hey, what mile are you at?" and 5 people say in chorus,"we have no idea!"It's very similar to Annapolis ten miler, so that I liked, but the trail part was dangerous. I also saw what is a first for me, a fight almost break out when a runner gently said to a meathead, "hey if you're walking, move to the side." dude screamed obscenities then tried to run and catch him! I thought 3 miles in between stops was too much (mile 2.5-5.5) and there was a lack of volunteers and no gel. Thank god I brought mine. It has a lot of potential but the ten miler put on by the striders blows it away.
2011-11-21 4:19 PM

Master
Millersville, MD

Race tip that will wizz some of you off...

On a half marathon, if you fueled well and it's not insanely hot or something, water/fuel stops are just unnecessary mental breaks.  At most, you should *need* one stop.  I predict that blowing by the water stops will give you a faster overall time than slowing down for each one... by the time you begin to dehydrate or run short on fuel the race should be over.  Below is my semi-informed advice... for a half marathon of:

-1:45 or faster don't stop

- 2:00 or faster 0-1 stops

- 2:15 or faster 1-2 stops

- 2:30 or faster 2-3 stops,

- 2:45 or faster, you get the idea

Our bodies can store far more glycogen (your primary fuel source in a HM, though depending on your pace you may burn quite a bit of fat too) than it takes to run 13.1 miles.  It's not until a longer race, or in extreme conditions, where it's worth it to expend the energy necessary to refuel/rehydrate. 

Edited by JoshKaptur 2011-11-21 4:33 PM

2011-11-24 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3910625

2011-11-29 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3914097

Master
Millersville, MD
trotpntbll - 2011-11-24 11:57 AM
JoshKaptur - 2011-11-21 5:19 PM

Race tip that will wizz some of you off...

On a half marathon, if you fueled well and it's not insanely hot or something, water/fuel stops are just unnecessary mental breaks.  At most, you should *need* one stop.  I predict that blowing by the water stops will give you a faster overall time than slowing down for each one... by the time you begin to dehydrate or run short on fuel the race should be over.  Below is my semi-informed advice... for a half marathon of:

-1:45 or faster don't stop

- 2:00 or faster 0-1 stops

- 2:15 or faster 1-2 stops

- 2:30 or faster 2-3 stops,

- 2:45 or faster, you get the idea

Our bodies can store far more glycogen (your primary fuel source in a HM, though depending on your pace you may burn quite a bit of fat too) than it takes to run 13.1 miles.  It's not until a longer race, or in extreme conditions, where it's worth it to expend the energy necessary to refuel/rehydrate. 

There was also a study/discussion around top marathoners (nothing about the half distance) and their lack of taking in water/nutrition during the race. They basically came to conclude that the blood removed from the legs to digest food/water wasn't worth taking in anything. Granted, I don't think anyone would advocate losing 10% of their body weight for an AGer, especially if a podium isn't on the line, but I agree with what you say. Although, some people get insane cotton mouth and like to rinse that feeling away. I get it in really hot races, and I prefer to suppress that feeling.

The insanity that is water stops is enough to keep me away from them. Even staying left I had to slow down in a few cases because people were trying to avoid the "zombie drinkers."

To each their own. But in instances in which the water stops are clearly stated, such as with Annapolis, if you know you will want to take in more water, I'm not sure why one wouldn't wear a race belt.

I'd change my tune for a mary, where you do not likely have enough stored energy to complete the race... and choking down gels without a chaser is not my cup of tea.  I think it was Higdon (not sure though) who bet any first time mary runner they would be faster overall if they walked every water stop at a mary.  But I appreciate that if there's at least some evidence stops are overrated for 26, then then they certainly should be regarded with suspicion for 13.

In general, this was me sticking up for the Annapolis half mary organizers -- pushing back a little on those who complained about the number of water stops.  Water stops are there ever 2 miles in a HM because the general populus THINKS they need it... but not because they are needed.

As for cotton-mouth... I chew gum in almost all my long races, including my IM marathon... and really like it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Annapolis HM - new race! Rss Feed