General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming Back Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-26 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Coming Back

11 years ago, I was diagnosed with chronic bilateral shin splints in both legs.  I was discharged from the Marine Corps because of it.  Since then I have done 5 triathlons, but I have never really got to enjoy the experience because I was upset at the fact that I couldn't run and had to walk the run portion of all the sprint triathlons I did.

So I did my last triathlon a little over 3 years ago, I got rid of my bike, HRM, shoes, helmet, everything.  I was to frustrated and I quit doing triathlons.  Since then I have put on a lot of weight and became more frustrated.  The pain in my legs started hurting even when I got on the bike, elliptical (sp?), lifting weights when it envloved my legs, and even walking.  So I was out of luck.  I used to be an awesome runner, I could run with the guys, I could finish a mile in 6:45, now I couldn't even do a lap in that amount of time without being in pain.

So back in May, I started the journey again to see if I could find a doctor that could diagnoise what was wrong with my shins.  I had every test done imaginable by the military, nerve test, compartment pressure testing.  Nothing came up possible.  But I figured, since it's been 11 years maybe they have come up with some type of new testing.  I wanted to go to a new doctor, but just telling the as little as possible, I wanted them to look at my shins as a clear plate without knowing that all my test have come up negative before.  The first doctor I saw said he thought it could be compartment syndrome, but he did not have the capabilites to do the testing so he referred me to another doctor.  I was sent to the wrong doctor and ended up seeing a spin and nerve doctor when I was supposed to go see a doctor that could do the pressure test.  Well, the spin and nerve doctor swore up and down that it was nerve problems and wanted to do something my shins that would stop the pain.  I didn't like his approach and it just seemed wrong to me.  He was treating the symptoms and never looked to see what the cause was.  My last effort was to go on my own and find my own doctor and tell my insurance that I had to get approval to go to this doctor.  Well I went to that doctor, the doctor spent 45 minutes going over everything.  I never told them I was tested for compartment syndrome, but they wanted to have me tested, after I did a short run and came back and they could feel that my legs were getting tight.  4 weeks later I was back in the doctors office being tested for compartment syndrome.  My initial readings before even running were already high, after running, they found that all 4 compartments had to much pressure and that was the cause of all my pain.  I was estatic.  Come to find out the military doctors did my pressure test wrong.  I had had it all along, but because I told doctors about the pressure test they never thought to do it again.  So I am having surgery next week to have surgery on all 4 compartments.

I once told my husband that if I was ever able to run again, I would do an Ironman.  I have always wanted to do one since I can remember.  I remember watching the Ironman back in the 80s, that's how long I have wanted to do one.  I also told him that I wanted to run a marathon.  I want to do it all.  I know what it is like to have the one thing I loved doing taken away from me, and this time I don't want to take it for granted.  I don't know if I will ever be able to run a 6:45 mile again, but I will do an Ironman.  Maybe not in 2012, but 2013 is looking very promising.

Sorry so long, but if you read the whole thing.  Thanks for reading.

2011-08-26 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3660738

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Coming Back

Awesome read.  It's good to read that you are finally finding some results.  Good luck with your surgery - I hope it solves the problem for you and you are able to do all you want!

I am trying something similar going to doctors with a fresh slate to see if I can find a better answer.

I'll send you all the shin mojo I can!

2011-08-26 11:28 AM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I was injured in the military and military doctors told me I needed to start getting ready for a life where I would never walk again. That I may be able to walk with an appliance.

Wrong. Ehhh. Not. Cancel.

I left the military and got treatment in the private sector. One year later I took my first running steps after my incident on Ali'i Drive in Kona while I was there covering the race for a magazine. Two years later I did Ironman again. A few years after that (and a few surgeries) I was the top U.S. finisher in a 106 mile ultra distance running race near the Jordanian/Iraqi Border. My injured leg was so banged up and full of hardware it took years to come back. Here is a photo of me in Northern Africa at a 152 mile ultra-running event in the Sahara. Look at the difference in the size of my left leg versus my right leg:

My point? Don't give up. A bad diagnosis can happen. Take care of yourself but don't surrender the dream. Don't give up your long term goals.

Set intermediate goals and check them off your list as you work toward your primary goal. You'll get there. You're a Marine.

2011-08-26 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Thank you both.  It will be a long road back, but after 11 years I am very hopeful. 
2011-08-26 1:22 PM

User image

SWOH

This story is so freaking awesome. I am ecstatic for you! Don't know what I would do if doctors took tri away from me. You will definitely be a woman on a mission come race time.

My cousin recently had surgery for compartment syndrome and it has alleviated all of her issues. I hope it's successful for you as well. Good luck!

2011-08-26 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3660773

User image

Expert
Musicodm - 2011-08-26 9:21 AM

Awesome read.  It's good to read that you are finally finding some results.  Good luck with your surgery - I hope it solves the problem for you and you are able to do all you want!

I am trying something similar going to doctors with a fresh slate to see if I can find a better answer.

I'll send you all the shin mojo I can!

Good luck with your doctors.  In the end, I did google searches for doctors in my area.  Once I found a name I would try and find reviews on them and see what other people thought of them.  I tried to do as much homework on a doctor as I could.  For me personally, it was finding a doctor at a teaching hospital with a repituable sports program that worked best.  Good luck and thanks for the shin mojo!!!   :-)

2011-08-26 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3660782

User image

Expert
Tom Demerly. - 2011-08-26 9:28 AM

I was injured in the military and military doctors told me I needed to start getting ready for a life where I would never walk again. That I may be able to walk with an appliance.

Wrong. Ehhh. Not. Cancel.

I left the military and got treatment in the private sector. One year later I took my first running steps after my incident on Ali'i Drive in Kona while I was there covering the race for a magazine. Two years later I did Ironman again. A few years after that (and a few surgeries) I was the top U.S. finisher in a 106 mile ultra distance running race near the Jordanian/Iraqi Border. My injured leg was so banged up and full of hardware it took years to come back. Here is a photo of me in Northern Africa at a 152 mile ultra-running event in the Sahara. Look at the difference in the size of my left leg versus my right leg:

My point? Don't give up. A bad diagnosis can happen. Take care of yourself but don't surrender the dream. Don't give up your long term goals.

Set intermediate goals and check them off your list as you work toward your primary goal. You'll get there. You're a Marine.

Congratulations on all your accomplishments.  I'm sure finishing with a swollen leg made, your accomplishment all that much greater.  

Yes, I do realize bad diagnois do happen.  From this point on I will not look back on them and realize that it was just a wall that was once put up in front of me and know it is knocked down and I will start rebuilding a better one.  I also realize that baby steps are what is going to help me be the most successful in the long run.  I hope sometime very soon in the not so distance future I will be able to experience the joy you had in finishing an Ironman.  I hope in the not so distance future that I will be able to write to fellow BTers here on the forums and tell them my complete journey of becoming an Ironman.

2011-08-26 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Congratulations!  What a great story.  Very happy to hear your happy new beginning Laughing
2011-08-26 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Good luck with your surgery and your Ironman dream.
2011-09-08 12:00 PM

User image

Expert

I am officially 8 days post-op.  My ankles are swollen and some tightness in my calfs.  I start physical therapy on the 13th.  

Since I have been spending much time on the couch, I have been doing looking at runs and marathons to do.  I sold everything I had triathlon related in order to pay for doctors to find out what was wrong with my shins including my bike, so I am having to start all over in buying gear for triathlons.  Knowing that my goal for completing an IM will be in 2013.    I would love to do a HIM before hand, but money may be somewhat of an issue.  If push comes to shove, I may have to resort to using my husbands bike, since he is short it may be able to work.  We will see.  

Until then if you know of anyone selling a bike or bike shoes or anything tri related please tell them to IM me.  I'm 5'4-5'5 and my men's shoe size is a 7.5 (sorry don't know my women's size).

Thanks again for listening.

2011-09-08 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3677941

User image

Melon Presser
iwantotri - 2011-09-09 2:00 AM

I am officially 8 days post-op.  My ankles are swollen and some tightness in my calfs.  I start physical therapy on the 13th.  

Since I have been spending much time on the couch, I have been doing looking at runs and marathons to do.  I sold everything I had triathlon related in order to pay for doctors to find out what was wrong with my shins including my bike, so I am having to start all over in buying gear for triathlons.  Knowing that my goal for completing an IM will be in 2013.    I would love to do a HIM before hand, but money may be somewhat of an issue.  If push comes to shove, I may have to resort to using my husbands bike, since he is short it may be able to work.  We will see.  

Until then if you know of anyone selling a bike or bike shoes or anything tri related please tell them to IM me.  I'm 5'4-5'5 and my men's shoe size is a 7.5 (sorry don't know my women's size).

Thanks again for listening.

Welcome back, and I hope you keep healing well. It really sucks to pay out the nose for health costs, but the good news is it is possible to do triathlon--even long course--on the cheap. Keep your eyes peeled in Pay it Forward and on low-cost sites where they offer X deals for X minutes or hours or until it sells out.

It has amazed me how I've been able to not just 'make do' but get really solid gear that works at very little or no cost.

Is there a tri club in your area that you can connect with? Sometimes members are happy to give others who are hard up their lightly used or not-quite-right gear.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming Back Rss Feed