General Discussion Triathlon Talk » upping the distance. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-26 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Subject: upping the distance.

ok. Stupid question. I am 46, been training for 3 years and competing in sprint triathlons for the last two. I usually do them in about 1hr 50 mins to 2 hrs 15 mins and I'm usually last or 3rd from last. However, I have been inspired by reading a book about ironman and seeing the bolton ironman uk coverage to think that, in about 4 years, if i start to go up through the distances i could do an ironman triathlon.  I admit i would have to be a bit more consistent in training, and I am generally slow and would hate to do all that then not make the 17 hours. My question is, do you think this is possible, at my age, from such a standing start?   

thanks

2011-08-26 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3661287

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: upping the distance.
depends, i think its possible but when we get older we are more injury prone. if you try to increase to fast you could have major setbacks. im 40 and thought i was increasing the right amount but still went to fast and have suffered achillis tendonitis and now ostietis pubis and my not ever recoup from that one. good luck and take it slow.
2011-08-26 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I certainly don't think your age is a limiter!  

Okay, I took a quick glance at your training log and see the biking seems to be a problem for you.   You don't have many miles this year and you also complained about not being fast.

The problem with longer distance triathlon is that it starts to get really bike heavy.    You will need to multiple your time on the bike by about 5 just to be prepared for an Olympic distance race.   Longer races than that, you need a lot more bike time.     You can look at time cutoffs for the races you are interested in, but I think you need to average at least 14 mph for a 112 mile bike ride (8 hours) to get by at the bare minimum.

I would work on biking first.  Find ways to ride more, do you have a good bike?  Can you join a cycling group to have support on longer rides?  See if it's fun and manageable to do more biking.  If you can get that up, I think you can proceed in upping the distance.  It's all just a matter of time and commitment.
2011-08-26 7:24 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

If you are really motivated, able to honestly assess what it will take, and willing to stick with it, then it's absolutely doable. Good way to celebrate turning 50. Building it up over 4 years sounds like a sensible approach.

As already stated, getting in more miles on the bike would be a good way to start. On the bike you can put in a lot of time without hurting your body from the pounding. Perhaps create some motivation by signing up for some of the great sportive rides that can be found around your neck of the woods. They are good ways to get you used to riding longer distances. Check out cyclosport.org for a great resource for doing longer distance rides.

I noticed in one of your race reports that you mentioned that you were really tired after the swim leg. You'll likely find that some swim technique training could make this a whole lot easier, and at a higher pace. If the swim is a real struggle at 3+ min per 100m then you probably stand to gain a lot simply by working on form and relaxation in the water, even before you worry about fitness gains.

Good luck.

2011-08-27 5:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Thanks for taking the  time to reply and the tips you've given.  I have been aware that I don't  do enough on the bike. I have a mountain bike and a trek entry level racing bike (which has helped me speed up without any extra fitness.) I am that I am a bit scared of road traffic, but that's not a very ironman attitude is it??  And I am becoming increasingly aware how important the right can do attitude is for triathlon.

SO, I'll just have to get on and do it..and see how far I get. Thanks again. I just needed people to say - yes you can do it.Laughing

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » upping the distance. Rss Feed