General Discussion Race Reports! » Hotter'N Hell Hundred Ultra Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hotter'N Hell Hundred Ultra Road Race - CycleCentury

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wichita Falls, Texas
United States
Hotter 'N Hell
105F / 41C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 25m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4am for the 6:15 start. Got the bike ready the night before. Had a Gu and a bottle of water. Prepped my bottles and met my friends in the lobby of the hotel at 5am. Rode over to our friend's camper at the event, and then to the starting line. Got to the line around 5:45 or so.
Event warmup:

Ride over was the warm up.
Bike
  • 4h 25m 21s
  • 76.72 miles
  • 17.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out with the intention of either doing the 100k or staying with my friends doing the 100 mile and peeling off at Hell's Gate for a shortcut back which brings it in around 80 miles.

First 20 or so miles fly by. Pace lines everywhere, pretty high speeds, and everyone just motors along.

Had to stop at the 20 miles rest stop as my friend busted a spoke just before it. So we stopped there to see if they could repair it (they took it out) and I visited the porta potty.

Still cruising at pretty high speeds for me and I joined up with some of my other friends that were planning on going a little slower. Better for me, for sure. we stopped at the 40 miles stop (which took a while with the long porta potty lines), then a few more stops along the way.

Felt good at Hell's Gate so I continued on with my friend's which was a mistake. Rest stop at mile 76 (they call it 78 I think) I felt ok, got my bottles filled, ate a cookie, etc. We were all hanging out the shade just relaxing. I go to top off my bottles before we head out and I felt light headed and dizzy, so I called it a day and got on the sag wagon.

Sag wagon ride was long and HOT. Stopping for others to check on them or load more on eats up a lot of time. I'm not complaining, since I needed the help too. It's just hot.

Did I mention it was hot? :)
What would you do differently?:

Stick to my original decision to do the 100k, or make the short cut turn.
Post race
Warm down:

Ride back to the hotel. It's about 1.5-2 miles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more LONG rides and more heat training I guess. But who trains for 105?

Event comments:

Love this event. It's only my second year, but it is SO well supported by the community. The volunteers ROCK!

Last updated: 2011-08-27 12:00 AM
Biking
04:25:21 | 76.72 miles | 17.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-27 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Subject: Hotter'N Hell Hundred Ultra Road Race

2011-08-27 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3662106

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Hotter'N Hell Hundred Ultra Road Race
Kudos to you no would have found the air conditioner somewhere instead. 105? Name fits huh? Nice job.
2011-08-27 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Wichita Falls

i started cramping at Hell's Gate and tried to push through... my body locked up at mile 92 and i took the SAG wagon in myself... it was EXTREMELY hot today... when i was in the wagon, it said that it was 108*... sucked so bad to end up that close to the end!

Good ride overall!  Kudos to you for listening to your body earlier than i did to mine...

2011-08-27 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Wichita Falls

TJ-  I am moving to ABQ in a couple of weeks... i would do the enchanted circle, but it will be too close to my move date... i am planning on the day of the tread and tour of rio grande valley

2011-08-27 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3662282

User image

Master
Albuquerque
macfights - 2011-08-27 6:03 PM

TJ-  I am moving to ABQ in a couple of weeks... i would do the enchanted circle, but it will be too close to my move date... i am planning on the day of the tread and tour of rio grande valley

Nice! I'm still debating on if I have the time (schedule-wise) for one of those. I hear Day of the Tread is a lot of fun and they just restarted doing the Tour of the Rio Grande Valley, so it should be good (and much flatter).

2011-08-27 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3662272

User image

Master
Albuquerque

rizer22 - 2011-08-27 5:55 PM Kudos to you no would have found the air conditioner somewhere instead. 105? Name fits huh? Nice job.

Thanks! Yeah, it was pretty brutal. I'm cooked.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hotter'N Hell Hundred Ultra Road Race Rss Feed