View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Erie, Pennsylvania
United States
Total Time = 1h 28m 8s
Overall Rank = 206/413
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/31
Pre-race routine:

Since I slept at my sisters, I woke up, had a bagel and a small amount of coffee. This was all after waking up at 5:00 am. Dragged the family out of bed and drove to the race. Then I just took in the swimming course and checked in, got marked, etc. I also was able to get a prime transition spot on the end of the rack near a tree. This gave me a large amount of space to place my things and change my gear during the race.
Swim
  • 12m 26s
  • 640 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

The course began in three waves (I was in the 3rd) that started 8 minutes apart. The water was warm but there was a a bit of sea weed in the lake. I was most nervous about this part of the race because it was my first OW swim. The beginning was much tougher because of the bodies and I couldn't get into my rhythm. I was trying to site after about every breathe. I finally calmed down and swim like I normally do. It was an odd feeling swimming without visibility and without the slightest break. The entire time, however, I never felt the slightest bit of tiredness in my arms. After looking at my times, I am very happy! It seemed like I was suffering through the race, but I am happy with my time.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing here would be for me to practice swimming in the open water. I will rate the overall swim as a GOOD since it was my first lake swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

When I came out of the water I was feeling off balance. Once I got to the bike I regained my balance. The transition was fine. I decided just to sit down for the socks and shoes since I had plenty of space. I don't think this cost me any time because I didn't take my time and I popped up quickly. I figured this may be better than balancing on one foot After the times were released I realize this was a bit long, but I will write it off to a long run from the timing pad to the bike. Overall, ranked in the top 4th of the racers.

I think it went pretty smoothly so I wouldn't change it.
Bike
  • 37m 31s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt very strong on this part of the race. I passed a lot of people from all 3 waves (and I was in the last wave that started 16 minutes after he 1st). Even better, the only thing that passed me was a car. One person passed me, but I overtook her and finished well in front. This ride just felt perfectly right to me. So, so happy! Just got the race data in, and I am even happier because I averaged above 20 mph! This is a huge one for me and one where the training paid off!

Continue to work on my gear changes, but other than that, it was great.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

I had a stupid issue with my race belt and the clip fell off leaving my number hanging. It took me a few moments to put it back together.
Run
  • 35m 24s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I am actually happy with running 10 minute miles. I have hardly trained at all for running because of my shins, so this is a decent time for me. As soon as I started the run my left calf seized up with a crap. I had to quickly stop and stretch it against a tree. Eventually it loosened up and didn't give me problems. Oddly,my shins also did not cause any problems during the race. I was concerned because I couldn't wear any of my braces or tape.

I would be healthy enough to train....
Post race
Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race a lot! There was a glitch with active.com that didn't register me, but the race director quickly took care of the problem.

Last updated: 2011-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:26 | 640 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/413
Performance: Good
Suit: Pearl Izumi shorts and Zoot tri tank
Course: Open water course. One triangular lap.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:31 | 13 miles | 20.79 mile/hr
Overall: 0/413
Wind: None
Course: This was a completely flat biking course, which has been my dream for a race. It was a beautiful scenic ride around the entire peninsula, but I mostly just saw the 3 feet in front of my wheel.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:24 | 03.5 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 294/413
Course: Flat out and back course that was on a road and multipurpose trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes