Columbus, Ohio
United States
Ultra Fit
Total Time = 1h 27m 9s
Overall Rank = 15/169
Age Group = 35-29
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15, stopped at Tim Horton's for coffee. Sipped coffee and gatorade on my way to the race. Only a 25 minute drive. Got there at 6:10, parked pretty far from the TA. Got body marked, timing chip, and set up my transition area by 6:45ish. Ate a cliff bar before the race.
Event warmup:

Swam about 100yds just to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 15m 54s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Average swim from a deep water start. I started in the second row and tried to draft for a bit, but the person I was drafting off slowed down, so I had to go around. Probably the most contact I've had in a swim start, but that is because I usually avoid the crowds, now not so much. In the first 200yds, I accidentally nailed someone in the head and felt terrible. I apologized, but doubt they heard me. After the turn, I almost ran head on into two other swimmers coming the other way. A little freaky when you're sitting on something in the distance and all of a sudden see something coming right at you close up. Also the seaweed made for an interesting time, but didn't slow me down at all. Anyway, swam strong into shore and had a little trouble finding where the drop off started to get out.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to go stronger on the swim in sprints. After I panicked on my first tri, I've been reluctant to put too much effort into the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Run from swim to T1 was longer than expected, but that impacted my swim time, not my transition time. Wetsuit came off really quick, put my sunglasses and helmet on and ran out of the TA.

Nothing
Bike
  • 47m 11s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I know I could have done better here. Started off great (and knew it was going to be great because of the tailwind). I dreaded the turnaround because I knew that wind was going to hit me for 8 miles straight. I think it got in my head because it slowed me down too much and looking at my HR data I realize my HR wasn't even going that hard which leads me to believe I could have put in much more effort. Also put a new saddle on my bike last week and have taken several rides with it and adjusting, but my shoulder was killing me at mile 13-16.

Not get psyched out by the wind and install my old saddle until I can figure out the fit of the new one. I could have easily taken a minute off this time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

The bike dismount line came up so fast, I barely had time to get my feet out of the shoes. I was able to do it with no problem, so it's nice to know that I can do that so quickly. Simple, easy transition, helmet off, hat and shoes on (no socks this time), and carried my race belt with me.
Run
  • 22m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Uneventful run. Passed a bunch of people, got passed by 1 or 2. I didn't go all out. I really think I could have taken 20-30 seconds off this time. I don't know why I am so scared to go all out. Anyway, not a bad run. I can't say how nice the air temperature was. I should have taken advantage of it, usually I'm sweating like a pig and moments away from potential heat stroke. .

Go harder and stop being a wuss.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed finish line, got a banana and gatorade and stretched a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Don't want to make excuses but the wind (which got in my head), and me not wanting to push myself too hard on the bike or run.

Event comments:

Good race, nothing to write home about with regards to the course. Probably could have set the swim up differently, but I imagine they do it that way so weaker swimmers can get to shore quickly, so I'm not going to argue with safety. Overall a good race somewhere really close to Columbus other than Alum Creek. Nice change of scenery.

Last updated: 2011-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:54 | 875 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 24/169
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit.
Course: Out and back along the side of a quarry. Even though the quarry is a 1/4 mile across, the course still hugs the shore which makes for some people-dodging.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:11 | 16 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 22/169
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: Lollipop course with small rolling hills here and there.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:26 | 03.11 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 16/169
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back multi-terrain course. Roads, gravel, sand, gravel, road, dirt path. Actually kept it interesting.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes