General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stroke analysis and GoPro Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-28 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: Stroke analysis and GoPro

I filmed myself swimming for a few minutes and would apprecitate any positive or negative comments about my stroke. Keep in mind the camera add 15 pounds!

This is the second release of my stroke, and this one is better, but I thought I would look more like Ryan Lochte   I just filmed this on my new GoPro, and if you are interested in it read the review below.  Between :25 and :35 the video flashes, which happened in the .wmv conversion, but past that its crisp.  Any comments on my stroke would be appreciated.  I'm not hammering it out just swimming a normal pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4M3ZfUwX5M

Its available in 1080p so if you want to get some popcorn and watch it on the big screen with the family that option is open! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GoPro Review:

This week I bought a GoPro HeroHD.  A few weeks ago I used my Olympus Waterproof camera to film for stroke analysis probably learned more off that video than I did in months.   However the resolution was terrible and turned off after 3:00 minutes, running out of space.  After a fateful incident with water leakage, I needed a replacement.  DC Rainmaker's blog helped me decide:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/03/analyzing-your-swim-technique-in-pool.html

The wife and I went to Best Buy and got the GoPro HD with Helmet cam for $299. Arriving at home we learned it also needed an high transfer SD Card, which cost another $50 (doh!).   If you are planning on getting one, make sure to get the high transfer (10) cards.  Anything lower supposedly does not work as well. 

After viewing a few YouTube videos, I had it up and running and went to the pool. The interface is a bit confusing but with only 2 buttons and a small gui you don't get much; that's the only real issue.  I set it up the same way DC Rainmaker set his up and swam for about 15 minutes with the camera viewing me under water.  I did a quick 50 with it out of the water to see my recovery (which wasn't good) and turned it off and went home.

The quality was amazing.  I had it in 960p with 30 fps, and it much better than I expected.  The sound is poor, but its a waterproof camera, with the mic housed inside.  After analyzing 10 minutes of video, I chopped it down to 4:00 with Windows Movie Maker, which I do not recommend using, as it encodes in WMV and had some chop at the beginning of the film.

I'm not sure the $300 price tag is worth the time I'll gain, but if this was cycling spending $300 to save 3 seconds would be must have. 

As for cycling and running, I plan on using it for those after my achilles tendon heals   however there are tons of videos out there on YouTube to peruse and judge for yourself.

Overall, decent product 4 out of 5 *'s.

Edited by furiousferret 2011-08-28 9:10 PM

2011-08-28 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3663205

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Subject: RE: Stroke analysis and GoPro

Your legs look lower than the upper half of your body.  There were a few right handed strokes esp at 1:19 I believe, that look as though you are pushing down on the water.  That wasn't consistent however.  It also appears that your body is "snaking" through the water and doesn't appear very streamlined.  

Disclaimer:  I have no idea if that is what I'm actually seeing.  I'll be looking forward to other's replies as well.  Thanks for posting.  

2011-08-28 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3663205

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Head down a bit more particularly when you breathe. It will help bring your legs up. It's a bit hard to see from just under water, but it looks like you might be dropping your elbows a bit after entry & before the catch.
2011-08-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3663316

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

E=H2O - 2011-08-28 8:54 PM Head down a bit more particularly when you breathe. It will help bring your legs up. It's a bit hard to see from just under water, but it looks like you might be dropping your elbows a bit after entry & before the catch.

I've been really trying to improve my catch,  I used to drop the elbows horrbily but now you may be right, it looks like I still do it somwhat.  I'll work on keeping the head down.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stroke analysis and GoPro Rss Feed