Kingston, Tennessee
United States
Race Day Events
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 49/138
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

I arrived early, about 10 minutes before transition opened. Got a great spot on the end of the rack. Hit the bathroom and drank some coffee until the swim start.
Event warmup:

I got in the water about 5 minutes before the start and was pretty chilly. They measured the water temp about 5 days before and said it was 82. Well they had been generating water for the last 5 days and I would put the temp at 77-78. Quite cool and I believe could have been wet-suit legal.
Swim
  • 19m 45s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Although the course was short, the swim went very well. We waded out and I held onto the dock so I wasn't treading water. After a couple of minutes the cannon sent us on our way! Only a few bumps here and there closing in on the turns...but nothing bad.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Smooth transition. Not rushing too much but I am happy with the time.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 11m 51s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went smooth. My garmin had me at 19.8 mph and I was trying to hit 20 so I am happy with that. The hill slowed me down quite a bit. I hit 40 mph on the downside though so that helped! I wasn't too gassed but definately was feeling that hill in my legs getting off the bike.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Went perfect. If I can keep T2 under a minute I am happy.

Nothing
Run
  • 57m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This run went TERRIBLE! I got a stitch in my side about a mile into the run. My first split was 7:58...right on pace. After the stitch hit I could not get it out! I tried all the usual remedies (hand under the ribs, deep inhale and forced exhale, walking with hands above head, etc.) This thing was brutal. I felt like I had a broken rib on my right side! I have had many a stitch before, but nothing like this. It lasted until mile 5 of the run, so I was over a 10 minutes mile on all of those splits trying to work it out. Then my final split came in at 8:08 after I finally got it out. I don't know what I could have done to prepare for that bad boy...tips in the comment section are welcome!

Maybe more long ride bricks would have prevented the stitch? IDK.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water and bananas and talked to a few friends that were doing the race. Then hung out with the family before heading home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The Stitch of Death.

Event comments:

They did an EXCELLENT job for this being a first itme event. Although I think the course was a little short on all three parts...everything went great. Organizers were great, volunteers were great...really enjoyed everything and I am really looking forward to next year!

Last updated: 2011-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:45 | 1640 yards | 01m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 36/138
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The course was a rectangle and was quite a bit short. I am not sure by how much, but I took it VERY easy on the swim and was expecting around 27 minutes if that tells you anything.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:51 | 24.85 miles | 20.75 mile/hr
Overall: 25/138
Wind: Little
Course: Again...a little short. About .8 miles by my Garmin. The hill at the end was a bit challenging...but fun!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:50 | 06.21 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 86/138
Performance: Bad
Course: A little hilly in the last 1.5 miles, but other than that relatively flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-29 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Storm the Fort Triathlon

2011-08-29 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3663744

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Storm the Fort Triathlon

Good job dude, working through the tough spots!

In regards to the run, I think it's likely just finding where your line is currently off the bike.

How was your nutrition?

2011-08-29 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3663811

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Storm the Fort Triathlon
Leegoocrap - 2011-08-29 11:32 AM

Good job dude, working through the tough spots!

In regards to the run, I think it's likely just finding where your line is currently off the bike.

How was your nutrition?

Thanks!  My nutrition was good.  I had a bottle of water and a gu on the bike...and about 20 ounces of water on the run and a gu at mile 3.  I had plenty of energy, I just couldn't run at my desired pace because of the stitch.  Everytime I would get 1/4 mile at my desired pace it would be so bad that I was getting no air!...so I would have to walk and try to remedy it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Storm the Fort Triathlon Rss Feed