General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any pregnant triathletes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-29 4:33 PM

Louisville, Ky
Subject: Any pregnant triathletes?

Just wondering if there are any other pregnant women out there and what your training looks like. Or if you have been pregnant and kept up with training, what was your training like? I'm 13 weeks pregnant with #3 and hope to keep moving! 

TIA!

2011-08-29 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3664741

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-08-29 5:59 PM

Subject: RE: Any pregnant triathletes?

love talking about this subject so I'll bite:

I wasn't into triathlons when I was pregnant (twice) but I was a marathon runner (the tally is two marathons before kids, 4 after)... anyway exercise is my sanity so I knew I'd keep it up.  I was still running up to about 10 miles at a time first 15 weeks but slower for me.  Then I started to go at a much slower pace but kept running through about 36 weeks, maybe up to 3 or 4 miles at the end... the elliptical machine starts to feel nice too.  With my second, I just didn't have it as much and switched to elliptical at about 20 weeks and also spent a lot  of time on the stairmaster.  Everything with slower intensity, taking it easy, enjoying slowing down.

We had a good thread going here about a month ago about exercising postpartum.

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS.. enjoy! As someone said to me when I was pregnant, being a parent is the BEST (and hardest!)thing you'll ever do.

addendum: I see it is not your first, sorry!

Edited by kr140.6 2011-08-29 6:01 PM
2011-08-29 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3664839

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
If you have time, read the blog written by Elizabeth Waterstraat.  She's a triathlete and coach and had a baby a year ago in July.

If you start at this post from Jan of 2010:
http://elizabethfedofsky.blogspot.com/2010/01/looking-ahead.html

And read through July of that year, you can see a LOT of detail about how she maintained her fitness.  She sprang back pretty darn quick and is back to winning triathlons again.  IN fact, she qualified for Kona again this summer and will be racing this October.

Obviously the extreme end of things, but it's interesting and shows anything is possible.
2011-08-29 6:20 PM

Hi!

I'm 16 weeks pregnant with #3. I got into tri a couple months before becoming pregnant and had already started training for a tri that will be when I am 24 weeks. My doctor has given me the ok to keep training since I had started before getting preg, with the understanding that I will slow down/stop in accordance with my body's needs. My biggest challenges so far have been fighting the urge to sleep in, finding the time to train with 2 other little ones (who thankfully go back to school this week) and figuring out what to wear!

I will say that I have never felt so good during a pregnancy as I have with this one. No morning sickness, really hardly any symptoms. Luckily I'm a high-risk obstetrics nurse so Ikeep doing ultrasounds to make sure everything is ok, because I honestly hardly feel pregnant.

Are you planning on any races, or just keeping fitness throughout the pregnancy? What's your background?

Noa

2011-08-29 8:51 PM

Louisville, Ky
thanks everyone! I will check out that blog, thanks for the link! I've completed various running races up to a 1/2 marathon. I have completed sprint distances and olympic. I am hoping to do some olympics next summer, but we will see as I am not sure how I will get training in with 3 kids under 3 and a husband who works long hours and weekends! Thanks again everyone!

2011-08-30 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3665025

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Kind of late to the game here, but I'm at 31 weeks and still swimming ~1 mile 3x per week, and walk 40-60 minutes per day (quickly).  My swim is about 10-15 seconds per 100 slower than it used to be.  I "ran" a half marathon at 16 weeks and quit after that due to heat and a pre-existing back issue.  I never biked outside once it got nice out due to the risk of falling (not worth it to me) and since I was/am still healing my back, the trainer wasn't the best idea ever.  With cooler weather coming, part of me would love to try to run again...but it's probably not a great idea.  Everyone says that staying active helps with recovery.  I'll let you know in October/November!
2011-08-31 11:05 AM

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Currently 26 weeks pregnant.  I did the run portion of a tri in June (maybe 16 weeks? I don't remember).  I'm still trying to run and swim, I just don't have as much time as I would like with my school schedule right now.

It's a lot harder to run while pregnant, at least for me.  I have to carry water with me, even for short runs, or I get too hot.  I also tend to stick near my house so that I can go to the bathroom regularly.

2011-08-31 12:22 PM

Lafayette, CO

SkirtSports founder and Ironman Wisconsin Champion Nicole DeBoom is pregnant and blogging about it. 

http://www.skirtsports.com/blog/

2011-08-31 12:30 PM

Hi - I'm 33 weeks with #1.  I have not raced a tri this season, but that was a personal decision based on my own personality - my doctor was actually ok with it until ~20 weeks.  But I know I'm too competitive (mentally - not ability wise ) to "take it easy" in a race environment.  I ran until about 30 weeks at which point my pelvis kindly asked me to stop.  I was riding outdoors until about 20 weeks and then I started getting too worried about the crash risk - I've been spinning once or twice a week since then.  I try to get to the pool 2-3 times a week to swim, I have found my swim time is about 30 seconds slower per 100 - and I was slow to begin with, so I"m not swimming far just due to time constraints.  In addition to those tri specific things, I walk the dog a mile every morning and I try to mix in prenatal pilates or yoga when I don't have an energy for more.  I'm starting to get pretty tired though, so I'm finding my activity level is declining.

My plan was just to listen to my body and slow down or stop when I needed too, and it seems to be working although I am starting to get really easily worn out and find myself wondering if I need to push myself more or if I'm somehow not resting enough - this is new territory for me too.

2011-09-01 6:42 AM

Louisville, Ky
Thank you ladies for sharing your stories! You all are so inspiring! I really, really want to get back into racing after babe #3 that I am itching to start training! But with being pregnant my plan will be getting my fitness back. I haven't done a race in 3 years and its driving me crazy!!! I'm going to set up the trainer in the basement, get up early and find a way to get to the pool! Good luck to all you wonderful, active ladies! Keep me posted!

2011-09-01 7:10 AM

Master
Congratulations! I didn't compete in a tri, but I played soccer for the first trimester of my last two pregnancies, and ran races right up to the last week of my last pg (although quite slowly in that last week.. daughter was running cross country so I trained with her). My midwives told me that if I was active before pg, I could continue to be as long as the pg is a healthy one and I'm careful to not get over heated or dehydrated.

May your pg be a comfy one!

Edited by Blanda 2011-09-01 7:25 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any pregnant triathletes? Rss Feed