General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events, Inc
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 50s
Overall Rank = 404/1879
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 68/182
Pre-race routine:

Had the alarm set for 3am, however hit the snooze but a couple of times before crawling out of bed. Had two Cliff Bars with a cup of coffee, set tire pressures for the mine and the girlfriends bike in preparation for the race, strapped on the gear for the 4 mile bike ride to transition.
Event warmup:

A little stretching and mental preparation to get over the anxiety of seeing crashing waves and massive chop along the bike ride to transition. Amazingly calmed myself once I got in the water.
Swim
  • 21m 6s
  • 820 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

I knew there was nothing I could do about the water conditions, so I just tried to stay calm and swim a comfortable pace. Unfortunately I did not position myself well for the start, as I was in the back of the pack, this was my fault do to inexperience in starts like this. The first 200m was very slow for, as I tried to work through the group and find some open water, but after I cleared traffic my pace was good and started passing swimmers from the prior two waves.
What would you do differently?:

Position myself at the front of the line. I have a swim time goal of 17 minutes, including the run to transition.

Once I got into open water, I was so relaxed and comfortable I didn't even think about the waves and chop.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Bike
  • 41m 34s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I have ridden the Lake Shore path countless times, so I knew going into the ride what to expect, and tried to stay low on the drops to keep my large frame (I am 6'3", 230 lbs) out of the wind and minimize the impact, all the while trying to save legs for later. The ride out was pretty slow, possibly 5-7 minutes slower than the ride back. Since I conserved enough legs for the back segment, I was able to pick up the pace closer to the 30 mph range.

Not much given the headwind conditions. My training ride prior to the event averaged 22-23mph, so there was a definite impact from the wind.
Transition 2
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Completely blew past my transition spot from bike in, and spent what felt like an eternity looking for my gear. Turned out my gear got moved while I was on the bike.

The switch to run went smooth once I found my stuff.

Add a big neon sign shows my transition location.
Run
  • 30m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Let's face it, I am built like a tank, so running is not my favorite. However, I ran the 5k in the time as expected and was comfortable doing so. Walked a couple of times, mainly at the water stations and kept on trekking to the finish. It was amazing and motivating the amount of support along the run, from spectators, volunteers and fellow competitors. As much as I hate running, this segment was my favorite of the Chicago Triathlon.

More run practice.
Post race
Warm down:

Enjoyed the finish and met up with my family that came to town in support. Then rushed over to swim start to was the girlfriend start her swim wave.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More and more practice. I am new to triathlons and only got into doing them after losing 80+ lbs since January. I am now addicted.

Last updated: 2011-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:06 | 820 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/182
Overall: 534/1879
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Sleeveless
Course: Straight along the harbor.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:06
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:34 | 13.67 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Overall: 158/1879
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back along Lake Shore Drive. Nice smooth course with just a few bumps to look out for, as well at pavement seams between lanes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:15 | 03.11 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 1075/1879
Course: Nice run along the harbor, past the Shedd Aquarium and Soldier Field, finishing in Grant Park... Great run path!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?