General Discussion Race Reports! » America's Finest City Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

America's Finest City Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 15m 52s
Overall Rank = 4073/6777
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 413/573
Pre-race routine:

Got up plenty early, but was feeling a bit "rough." Mainly, my tummy wasn't feeling super. More on that, probably much more than anyone wants, later.
Event warmup:

Mostly just milled about. Was focused on taking care of business, so to speak. Hadn't worked out in a bit over a week, and was hoping it was just that.
Run
  • 2h 15m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Let's face it, I was struggling from the get go. My first bout of GI issues. I won't get too graphic, but let's just say things weren't in smooth working order.

Started out on a decent pace, and obviously felt good going down hill. I felt confident, but things sort of set the tone when I saw my "fast" pace was only fast if I were on flat ground. Figured I'd keep it up, and give myself a shot.

About mile 5, the course flatten out, and I realized my time was just on pace for 2 hours, or maybe a bit better. Not promising given the terrain. Kicked along anyway.

Around mile 6, the wheels started falling off my GI wagon. Felt increasing unsteady, and that progressed steadily to panicky looks for a potty. Found a fixed building men's room, and nearly ran over some poor lady taking a swift right turn toward it. Stood in line forever (probably 7-8 minutes), and then got my turn at the toilet, sitting there next to the urinal, with no wall, no door, and 10 other guys waiting their turn. Did my business as my good friends looked on. Just great.

Got back on the course, and cruised the rest of the race. Walked at water stops, and just enjoyed the rest of the day (yes, feeling much better).

Not my most glamorous moment in sports.
What would you do differently?:

Skip the El Pollo Loco the night before. My wife was out of town, and I'm an idiot for doing that.

Oh, and also train more, but that, for once, seems like a secondary issue.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pretty obvious from above, no>?

Event comments:

Good race; nice course; well organized. Would do again.

Last updated: 2011-04-20 12:00 AM
Running
02:15:52 | 13.1 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 413/573
Overall: 4073/6777
Performance: Bad
Course: The race starts at the Cabrillo National Monument. This means its cool, pretty scenic, and gives you almost 5 miles of downhill out of the gate. Course flattens out at Spanish Landing, and stays flat until a moderate hill up 6th St. into Balboa park. A PR kind of course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes