World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 09m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Oh Ironman. You sucked me in for a second year in a row. After doing IM Wisconsin last year I was somehow brave (or stupid) enough to sign up for another one - luckily I talked LindaKC into doing it again as well, awesome to have such a great friend who is just as crazy as me.

I hired a coach for the first time in my life to guide me through this experience. Glad I did, and you'll see why as you read on. Training this summer was tough, as the HEAT DOME of summer 2011 settled over Kansas for about 6 weeks. All of my long runs and rides were in 100-110 degree weather. I was ecstatic to see the weather reports for Louisville were only in the '80s, really lucked out on that.

Michael and I picked up Dave and Linda in Kansas City Thursday morning and we trucked on to the LOU like veterans. We had done this before, and I almost felt a little bad at how nonchalant I was feeling about this Ironman. I guess that's just the inner voice of experience, but my attitude this year was more like "Eh, I guess I'm doing an Ironman in a few days, Huh."

Friday we met up with Adam and Jeff from Wichita for coffee - it was so gorgeous we sat outside for breakfast - nice! Then we did a quick ride and a quick run. Except I tripped on the sidewalk running and fell on my left shoulder; I'm an incredible clutz. At the time I laughed, but it ended up hurting and being tender to the touch up until Sunday - I was pretty worried about it for the swim. Linda and I breezed through athlete check in, then back to the hotel for a nap. I made some rice to eat before the athlete dinner, and then we headed to the BT gathering at Starbucks and then the dinner. Again, I was just so relaxed and calm, everything seemed like deja vu at the dinner and pre race briefing.

Saturday we did the practice swim (which was lovely!) and then Michael and I participated in the Underpants Run. SO much fun! Then we checked our bikes and gear bags in. A quick nap and then it was time for dinner with my family. Had lots of fun at dinner but was anxious to get back to the hotel and try to get some sleep or at least relax. Ended up watching a movie till about 10 p.m. and pretended to sleep for a few hours as my mind finally seemed to realize I was doing an Ironman the next day.
Event warmup:

Up at 3:45 a.m. with my checklist. Oatmeal, coffee, Garmin, athlete tracker, Gatorade, morning clothes bag. Grabbed Linda and we were out the door by 4:45 a.m. Parked at the Galt House garage and walked to transition - dropped nutrition in T1 bag and dropped special needs bags. We also got a fabulous pre-race picture with Mike Reiley himself, sweet race omen, eh!

Began our 0.75-mile walk to the swim start (which really did not seem that far), ran into Eric, and when we got "there" it was super difficult to find where the line ended. Just so many people! We hooked up with another girl and together finally discovered the "end" and claimed our spot. Once the line tightened up, everyone sat down so we did too. Ate my 2nd breakfast (PB/honey sandwich) reluctantly and sipped on Gatorade.

The sun started to come up and revealed some lovely cloud cover. Heard the pro start gun go off and knew we were getting close. Swim cap and goggles on, now the line was moving. Winding and snaking through the line progression I kept looking for my family, who knows if I will see them before the start this year. But lo and behold, as we got right up to the last section before turning towards the river there they were! There's nothing like a huge hug from your mother to start the day! Just after we passed them, they stopped letting athletes in the water for 10? minutes. Learned later that a 46-year-old man suffered cardiac arrest and later died. Really sad.

When the line started moving again, it was only a minute or so before I was running and jumping off the dock.
Swim
  • 1h 20m 41s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wahoooo I'm doing an Ironman! Again!
I halfway expected some contact at the beginning, they were sending people off so quickly. But nope, no contact whatsoever for the ENTIRE swim! Not 2 minutes in though, my goggles started to leak. Something they NEVER do. I had to tread/breaststroke to adjust them 3 or 4 times in the first 500 yards since the water had already made one contact slip up into my eyeball. Not the best way to start but I wasn't upset - stuff happens and you adjust, right?

Passing the sandbar I saw people standing up and walking - I resisted the urge but had to laugh as I thought "is that guy walking faster than I'm swimming?!" Pretty sure he was.

Really uneventful swim; a good thing I suppose. I saw a guy with a snorkel, people doing the backstroke, someone with no goggles, all kinds of stuff. Didn't really notice the current coming back in, but my swim time was 3 minutes faster than Wisconsin (and without a wetsuit).

Made my way to the exit stairs and let two volunteers pull me out of the water. The swim seemed to go by so quick! I felt great and immediately started running, didn't want to waste any time here.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - I was calm and relaxed probably more than any race I've done... really happy with this!
Transition 1
  • 07m 40s
Comments:

Grabbed my bag and RAN into the women's tent - one of my goals was to cut some time off of transitions so I was moving as fast as I could.

NO volunteers available, which I expected. Had to search for an empty chair but found one and got to work.

Bike jersey on top of what I had on, towel off, sunscreen face and body, socks, bike shoes, helmet, sunglasses, race belt... I was really moving in here and without any help!

Ran out of the tent and left my bag at the door since no one was there to take it. Made my way to my bike, unracked, and headed out - my brother in law and nephew were right there cheering me on!

Nothing - I hustled in here and it paid off.
Bike
  • 7h 32m 53s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I got on the bike all smiles from seeing my family, but a little "ho hum" about riding for 112 miles. The media motorcycle was filming me for 2 or 3 minutes right at the start, wonder if I will end up on the TV coverage, ha! My upper back muscles/shoulder blades hurt pretty bad but I hoped it would loosen up as I went (it did).

The flat section out to the "finger" was fun - I was happy and feeling great, watching everyone zoom by me. At the very first aid station I had a super aggressive volunteer try to give me water - shoved it in my face before I'd decided. I was saying "no" but he kept pushing it on me and then ended up dropping it HARD on the bone of my forearm and it bounced off into the street - ouch! I don't mean to be a baby but that hurt really bad - it swelled up and turned purple, throbbed for at least the next 5 miles. Dang. Linda passed me about an hour into the ride looking great!

On the "finger" I enjoyed the down hill but was really dreading coming back up for some reason. There were two devils and a gream reaper dressed up on this section - I told the first devil I was hoping I'd see him and he took his pitchfork and poked me in the butt! I laughed really hard at that. Hit the turnaround and kept my spirits high as I chugged onward. For some reason I had remembered the climb being much longer and sucking much more, so I was surprised when it was over... I kept waiting for more but that was it! Nice!

On to the first loop and suddenly I see the special needs bags area. But wait I'm only at mile 35ish? I guess I will stop and re-sunscreen just in case they are not out when I get around to my 2nd loop? I had no idea we would pass them 2x but I stopped anyway and sunscreened myself again just to be safe. Stopped around mile 45 to potty - had to go BAD. There were 4 people in line but I couldn't hold it anymore. Probably cost me 4 minutes.

In LaGrange it was just as advertised... hundreds of spectators and my family was there whooping and hollering! Pretty awesome but it went by in a flash. Nothing exciting until the turn to start the 2nd loop, Michael and Dave were cheering at that corner - woooo! GO LISA GO! Was the first time I'd seen Michael, a nice way to start the 2nd loop.

By this time the crowds had thinned out but the wind had picked up a little, it was probably 10-15mph so not bad at all. The sun was out, but again not bad as it creeped up to probably the low to mid 80s. This loop was pretty boring for me but I just chugged along. Got a small hot foot issue somewhere in here so I kept taking my right foot out of the pedal and shaking it on the downhills. Flew by special needs without stopping this time.

Second time through LaGrange my brother in law was ahead of the spectator chute and he ran beside me asking how I was... said I was getting tired but feeling okay! My family was more spread out here... saw my Mom and sister and nephews, then my Dad at the end. I high fived all of them in the chute! Fun!

OK now I had to pee again, pretty bad (yay for being hydrated!). It was all I could think about, and there just hadn't been that many porta potties on the course at all! It got to be almost painful, and I was looking for somewhere to stop on the side of the road but everything was open with no big trees or bushes nearby. Finally I decided I could try to pee on my bike. This was a big mental step for me - something I said I'd never do. But here I was, standing up on a downhill, trying really hard to relax. On about the 5th try, it happened. Not a lot because I had to sit back down to pedal, but enough to get a little relief. Gross, but so necessary at that point.

Came up on the last aid station at mile 87 to see Linda stopped there. Wait, what??? She passed me like 5 hours ago, why the heck would she be here? I saw her face and knew something was wrong. I pulled off and she said she was feeling really bad, terrible headache, had felt bad since mile 20. I offered her everything I had... Tylenol, payday, sports beans, salt pills... all she wanted was 1 Tylenol. The volunteers took her to sit under the tent while I pottied, and when I came out she was sitting in a camp chair in the shade. I sat down with her to try and assess if I could help, or see if she knew what she was going to do from here. I knew I was going to add some minutes to my bike time but I absolutely didn't care - this was my friend and I had to know she was going to be okay. She told me she didn't know if she was going to finish and that made me so sad. I told her I think you will be mad at yourself if you don't at least try - I know you feel bad but you will be upset. Didn't know if that helped or hurt the situation but she told me to go on, and I said I would see her on the run. Left the aid station feeling like I was about to cry - and I spend the entire rest of the ride praying for her.

The last 10 miles were very flat and relaxing - Jillian (from BT) passed me on this stretch, I recognized her pink bike. I was happy when I saw the downtown buildings but a little deflated thinking about my girl back at mile 87.

I was really happy to ride into transition - got off the bike and a volunteer took it. I joked and told him to put it on eBay, haha.

I was a little surprised at the lack of spectators and witty signs throughout the bike ride, compared to Wisconsin. Maybe it was harder to get out to this course but I was pretty bored on very long stretches with no one in sight. Overall my body felt good - crotch and feet were talking to me a little, but nothing alarming. Felt great to get off the bike!

For my level of bike fitness, nothing. I am simply not a fast cyclist and that's okay. I enjoyed this ride and thought I executed well.
Transition 2
  • 09m 41s
Comments:

I immediately took off my bike shoes to relieve the pressure on my feet - and started running. Everyone else was walking so slowly but not me. A volunteer had my gear bag, grabbed it and kept running into the tent. I gave out a little whoop whoop as I entered the tent - man I love T2!

Inside the tent I got a volunteer after I found a chair. She helped me with my wardrobe change and went through all of the stuff in my bag. She was so sweet and nice! I had Olay wipes for my face and body - those are lifesavers; felt like a new person after that. I almost left the tent without tying my shoelaces but my volunteer alerted me to that. Gave her a hug and ran out to the sunscreen girls and had them coat me. The sun seemed intense at this point in the day.

Ran towards the timing mat and saw my family - thank goodness, I needed a pick me up.

Nothing - the wardrobe change cost me maybe a minute, but I needed it. Glad to have a volunteer here as I was a little scatter-brained.
Run
  • 5h 59m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Right across the timing mat I gave my family hugs and high fives - told them if they saw Michael and Dave to let them know about Linda. My legs felt pretty good and loose - just the run now, Lisa. You can do this.

Made my way to the bridge, which I'd heard was the only "hill" - oh so cruel to put that at the very beginning of the Ironman run! I cruised up about halfway and decided to walk the rest while I applied some chapstick. Got to the turnaround and there was Michael on his bike! Woohoooo it was such great timing! He rode on the sidewalk beside me for a bit, encouraging me like crazy. It was just what I needed.

Off the bridge there was my family going nuts for me... I squirted the boys with some water from my hand held and smiled big as I ran past. The sun was out and I was getting warm! Really glad I had my own water bottle on the run.

The first 4 or 5 miles I was holding a sub-12-minute-mile pace, which pleased me greatly. If I could just keep that up, I thought, I could knock so much time off my run. I didn't want to get ahead of myself because I know the Ironman run is not kind - but I felt great so far and I let the possibility of a run PR propel me forward.

I took cold sponges at the first 6 or 8 aid stations, putting them down my top. I took sports drink at all of these, too, and re-filled my bottle with ice water when it got low. I knew hydration would be key on this run, especially when I glanced down at my black shorts which were caked with salt so early on.

I averaged in the 12s for the ENTIRE first half which I was so proud of. I was running all but the aid stations, maybe stopping for some chap stick or a salt pill here and there. I was hot, but after the summer I trained in, this was nothing. Towards the middle/end of the first loop my stomach was predictably volitile. I was hungry, but icky and a little nauseous. I decided I needed some calories so forced down a GU and one mini tootsie roll.

Came up to special needs and stopped to get my inspirational cards my family had written to me at dinner the night before. I took out my salt & vinegar potato chips and ate 4 or 5, they didn't taste good or bad.

As I approached the point where you either finish the race or start your 2nd loop, Todd my brother in law was there and he did something so awesome. He jogged beside me for a bit, asking how I was, and then he turns to the crowd and yells "Let's hear it for LISA!" - motioning in the air with his arms - and the crowd went wild. He ran up on the sidewalk ahead of me, screaming for the crowd to cheer me on - and they did. It was so sweet, all of these people saying "GO LISA!" over and over... by the time I got to the rest of my family I had a fan club, and it was so uplifting, I was just about to cry. A few steps after I passed them, I saw Michael - I can't cry now! He jogged beside me for a little bit, encouraging me and telling me how great I was doing. I walked for 20 seconds or so and he got me jogging again, then said he'd see me soon. This was mile 14.

After all of that comotion I was emotionally overwhelmed with of the love and support from my cheerleaders - I finally let myself cry a little. This was hard, but they definitely made it easier.

At mile 16 I was on a walk break and noticed a girl who I'd been close to for most of the run walking as well. I turned to her and said "wanna try to run with me?" and to my surprise she said yes. Horray I found a buddy!

For the next 4 miles we chatted and stayed together. This section had ups and downs - I was happy to have a talking buddy, but I was REALLY starting to hurt - I was alternating Coke and broth, waiting for one of them to kick in. Pretty sure the Coke did so I stuck with that. Around mile 18(?) I heard "Lisa!" from behind and I knew it was Linda. OMG I was so relieved to see her! She said she was fine and was going to keep going she felt so good! HORRAY! SO relieved!

I felt like we were walking a little more than I wanted to, so at mile 20 I said I was going to try and run the entire way to the next aid station - Amanda said she would try, too. AND WE DID! We noticed for both of us that when we would walk, we hurt MORE. For me it was my feet - they were throbbing and incredibly painful. Running made it better. So I ran. Mile 21 aid station meant I could walk and get more Coke. Then I ran to the next aid station - couldn't believe I wasn't walking huge chunks of this! At mile 22, my buddy said she was going to stop to walk - I thanked her for the company but said I felt good so was going to keep running. And I did.

Now alone, I started to count my steps. I did this in training and it helped me so much mentally. Just count to 100 over and over and over. Sometimes it was out loud (helloooo crazy girl!) but I was passing people left and right; I didn't care. Miles 23 and 24 seemed to take forever, but I was RUNNING. Running!

I hit mile 25 and got super excited, but it was so hard to move. I did take 2 or 3 walk breaks in the last mile, I was starting to hurt bad. I love all of the people in the last mile - you can actually believe them when they say "Almost there!" because it's the only time all day they are right. There was a big line painted on the ground that said "Mile 26"... I looked at a volunteer and I said hesitantly, "This is it? The finish?" and he said "YES you are at mile 26 - go!" and I turned the corner with wide eyes. This was, indeed, it.

I knew this finish line would be amazing and it did not disappoint. As soon as I turned the corner there was such a bright light it blinded me! I squinted and decided to look at the crowd instead of the light. People were saying really nice things I can't remember, but I do remember nodding my head and smiling like a crazy person. I kept saying "I SEE IT!" which is something I say in training when I first spot a landmark. I SEEEE IT!

Getting closer now, lots and lots more people. I am in the finish chute of an Ironman! Again! All of my pain disappeared and I looked up and around at Fourth Street Live - all of the neon and lights and music and cheering. I was alone in the chute, so everyone was looking right at me! I finally decided to high five some people - you can't go through an Ironman finish chute without doing that. I went to the right-hand side and got my high fives and to my surprise just a few people later there was my entire family! How lucky that I went to that side of the chute at just that time! High fived ALL of them and looked ahead - just a few more steps.

I took in the last moments with utter joy and pride and happiness. I looked up at the lights and crowd again and started fist pumping and going crazy. Was I really PRing my Ironman by almost an hour?! Mike Reiley started talking about me - like I said I was the only one in the chute so he said a lot... said I had finihsed Wisconsin last year and now was finishing Louisville... from Wichita Kansas - 32 years old - Lisa Conklin - YOU are an Ironman!

Not much. My coach worked all summer with me on my run, I did three long runs (2.5hr, 3hr, 2.5hr) this year as opposed to one last year - and learned a lot about my individual sweat rate and hydration needs through him. Good stuff, and stuff that likely made the difference this year.
Post race
Warm down:

My finialy line catcher expertly guided me through getting my medal, hat, finisher photo, water, blanket, etc. He left me with my family, and we took pictures and re-capped the day with each other.

About 10 minutes after the finish, I started to feel really weird. Nauseous and dizzy all at once, it was not so good. I tried to keep moving; went and picked up my morning clothes bag, but when I got back outside I felt worse. I had to sit down on the ground for a minute. Thinking I felt better I stood up, but minutes later I felt like I was going to pass out - my eyes were seeing black spots and I knew that wasn't good. Michael had me lay down flat and almost force fed me some pizza (gluten free pizza that I'd specifically ordered at dinner the night before and had him bring to the finish!). It did not want to go down but I tried really hard and it started to. The guys went to get the car and someone a few feet away from me DID pass out and they took him away on a stretcher. I did not want to be next! I ate 2 pieces of my pizza and drank some water and eventually felt better. That was scary.

Finally said good bye to everyone (my poor family, I think I scared them good there) and climbed in the car. Back at the hotel I ate a few more pieces of pizza and Michael forced me to drink a ton of water and Gatorade - realy glad he did. My legs and feet were throbbing and aching so bad when I laid down, even with compression socks on. So I took an Advil PM and zonked right out.

Slept till probably 9:30 the next morning and packed up to head back home. 12 hours in the car was a little daunting, but my legs actually felt really great, all things considered. Definitely better than last year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't really like this question, but speed I suppose. I know I'm not fast, but I don't do triathlons to compete. I do them because I simply love to train and race. They make me happy, and that's what this life is all about :)

Last updated: 2010-11-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:20:41 | 4224 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto 400-mile shorts, TYR tri top
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
07:32:53 | 112 miles | 14.84 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Beautiful!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:59:00 | 26.2 miles | 13m 42s  min/mile
Course: 2 loops
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-30 9:56 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2011-08-30 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3665545

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congrats on a second IM and a PR. You seemed to be very mentally strong all day, a good friend, had the ability to soak in the full atmosphere. Enjoy the recovery!
2011-08-30 10:41 AM

User image

SWOH
Awesome race report, and congratulations!
2011-08-30 10:55 AM

Wonderful race and report to match.  Thank you for sharing, and a hearty congratulations!
2011-08-30 11:04 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Great race and great report!
2011-08-30 12:06 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Way to go Lisa!!! Congratulations!!! Kiss

2011-08-30 1:20 PM

User image

Pro

Congrats!!! Awesome race - great finish!

2011-08-30 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas
GREAT JOB LISA!!!!
2011-08-30 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia

Woohoo!  Awesome!  I think I saw you on the run, but I was in BAD shape at the time and literally was unable to scream out.  Eventually evened out, but didn't see you again!

So glad you had a super race!  What a great day and city for an IM.

2011-08-30 2:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio

congrats! great race and great report on the day.

2011-08-30 2:51 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Awesome job Lisa!!! Congrats to you! We will miss you in Wisconsin this year!

2011-08-30 3:10 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
EEEEEAAAAAWWWWsome JOB LISA!!!!!
2011-08-30 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
wow...great read and congrats!!!!....this race is on my radar for next year and I admit I got chills reading your post...thanks and congrats again......IMCDA next yearLaughing?
2011-08-30 3:41 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Congrats Lisa, reading this makes me want to get to my first Ironman soon!
2011-08-30 4:05 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats, Lisa!!!!!  It was good to meet you at Starbucks before the athlete dinner.  Way to go for a PR!!!!
2011-08-30 4:17 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Love reading your race reports, congrats on a great race!

2011-08-30 5:32 PM

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI
GREAT JOB LISA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2011-08-30 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

Congratulations Lisa!  So glad that I got to meet you at Starbucks   Awesome job on the PR!

2011-08-30 10:58 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Good job, Lisa.  I like the counting steps thing, I'm gonna try that if I ever get to race again. 
2011-08-31 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Awesome RR...Thanks and Good Job!!!
2011-08-31 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
After all of those super hot runs this summer I just bet you were thinking "This isn't so bad!" the entire time (and it shows! Good work!

2011-08-31 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Awesome report Lisa!!!  Made me feel like I was right there.  Come on and do Florida next year!!  Glad to see the weather was in ther 80's.  Last year it was upper 90's, a roaster.
2011-08-31 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
You so crazy Lisa! 2x Ironman!!! Sounds like it was every bit as rewarding and amazing an experience as the first. Congrats on a great race and PR.
2011-08-31 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great job and very nice race report.  It really captures the experience!
2011-08-31 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3665640

User image

Master
Central Kansas

"He jogged beside me for a bit, asking how I was, and then he turns to the crowd and yells "Let's hear it for LISA!" - motioning in the air with his arms - and the crowd went wild. He ran up on the sidewalk ahead of me, screaming for the crowd to cheer me on - and they did. It was so sweet, all of these people saying "GO LISA!" over and over... by the time I got to the rest of my family I had a fan club, and it was so uplifting, I was just about to cry."

I am crying! Your report is so inspiring. Congratulations!! You are amazing!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  

of 2