General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, I think my first Triathlon is back on the books! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-30 12:33 PM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA
Subject: So, I think my first Triathlon is back on the books!

I DNSed the first one (a "Tri for Fun") on the 20th due to not being confident on the bike and not having run yet following my stress fracture. I am also signed up for a "Tri for Real" on the same course on the 18th of September that I was 50/50 on doing.  I looked at the pictures from the first one last night, though, and it looks so mellow that I think I'd be a total pansy to not give it a shot. (In the bike photos, there was only one person in the frame and very few people way back in the background-- my biggest fear was being a danger to myself/others on the bike.)

700 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 4 mile run.

700 yard swim= should be no problem. Swim is in a lake, my OWS have been in the ocean.

18 mile bike= My longest road ride to date has been 15 miles, but I have done 20+ on the trainer

4 mile run= I like to think I can do this in my sleep (I can do half marathons without any targeted prep.)

I plan to add a brick run after my trainer rides on Tues/Thurs, building up to 4 miles by the 18th and add an OWS on Thursday evenings.

Am I silly to think I can bust this out on the 18th?

2011-08-30 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3665851

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: So, I think my first Triathlon is back on the books!
How has your running been going in the past few weeks? Are you over your injury? If so, than I do not think you have too much to worry about.
2011-08-30 2:47 PM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA

I'm not too concerned about the run (I'll wog it if I have to)-- I've not been doing any "planned running," though. I have more than three weeks back at doing jog intervals with the dog, full impact and weighted plyo during my strength circuit class (jumping up and down steps, plyo lunges, etc.) and have been clear of pain for about a month even with that increase.  This is my 7th stress fracture, so if nothing else I rule at coming back from 'em! I've been clear to run since early August (when I added back in the full impact stuff), I've just been focused on other things.

Since I am so prone to stress fractures, my foray into triathlon (from a marathon background) is to see if I can use other types of fitness to get me through the run with a minimal amount of running in training, so I suppose it will be a test of that theory!

2011-08-30 6:43 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Based on your comments, I agree with you that you would be a total pansy to not give it a shot. Good luck and have fun.
2011-08-31 11:51 AM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA
You are hereby authorized to give me mountains of heck in perpetuity if I wuss out. Tongue out
2011-08-31 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran

Go for it! My mantra on the bike is "safe and strong" to remind myself to watch out and be conservative, but to also give a good solid effort.

On those events where the participants are spread out like you describe, I find myself zoning out (daydreaming!) and my speed drops. With that in mind, maybe set yourself a target avg. speed to keep focused.

Have fun!

2011-08-31 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3667488

User image

Melon Presser

smurfcore - 2011-09-01 1:51 AM You are hereby authorized to give me mountains of heck in perpetuity if I wuss out. Tongue out

I hereby authorize myself to join your personal ANTI-PANSY brigade I know how much you've struggled with road riding and bike handling--congrats on the good work, the concern for safety, and the courage to move forward!

2011-08-31 12:16 PM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA

Melanfi- Good advice- though not sure glancing at my Garmin is quite yet "in my cycling wheelhouse," but certainly I can take some skills from running- like picking someone who looks to be about my pace but up ahead- to keep time with to stay focused.

TriAya- I would be bummed if you DIDN'T give me a heap of poop for it. Bring it on!

2011-08-31 12:22 PM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA

In the spirit of non-wuss-dom, I went back to change the title of this post from "I think my first Tri is back on the books" to "My first tri is definitely back on the books...", but it wouldn't let me. The wishy-washy, flip-flopdom of the subject line is harshing my mellow now.

2011-08-31 3:38 PM

User image

NH
Follow my tag line - Yoda was one smart dude and would have rocked the tri scene.
2011-09-01 11:53 AM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA

My first brick workout-- and my first wog back from the stress fracture-- is done and dusted! I capped off a 55 minute spin class with a quick trip across the gym to the treadmill for .25 run/.25 walk x 4 for 2 miles wogged. Hip is feeling fine-- maybe was a little pinchy at the tail end of the last interval, but that resolved quickly.  

Interestingly enough, I didn't have any issues at all feeling "weird" coming right off the spin bike, but I imagine it's different coming off a road bike since your brain is also involved in that balance process?

2011-09-01 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3669145

Regular
California

I have officially signed up for this as well!

My very first tri ever! ugh, I'm stressing about it already!

2011-09-13 12:18 PM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA

Updates from my world: Today is set to be my second day of doing more-or-less the whole distance of the event in training. (Albeit with the bike portion on a trainer), and I plan to probably do it again on Thursday.  So, I'm not too concerned about getting through fitness-wise. Just really still facing the mental hurdle of the bike. I know once I get up and running I'll be OK (until the spots where I'll inevitably get spooked, but I feel like the "feeling OKish" times in between are becoming more.  I hope that the spirit of race day will distract me from my irrational fears and I'll just HTFU and power through.

Also on the plus side, I'm able to run the full distance of the run in a brick workout at a nice, peppy, 8:00ish mile with no hip pain!  If nothing else, that is something to celebrate!

I'll be heading to Sports Basement this week to shop for some goodies-- a race belt and some Yankz and things of that nature. Anything I should be sure to pick up?

2011-09-13 12:20 PM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA
Oh, one possible issue- I've got the sniffles!  Definitely loading up on the Airbourne this week and trying to get in some good, sweaty workouts to get it out of my system.
2011-09-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3684431

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
smurfcore - 2011-09-13 12:20 PM Oh, one possible issue- I've got the sniffles!  Definitely loading up on the Airbourne this week and trying to get in some good, sweaty workouts to get it out of my system.

The race is this weekend, right?  You've got the training in the books, I would rest if you've got a cold.  There's nothing to be gained in fitness and by working out you are not giving your body a chance to heal itself.    If it were me, and I've got a lot of experience, I would rest.   I might do an easy run or bike (one each, perhaps) to "stay loose", but not hard enough to stress my body.   
2011-09-13 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3684488

Regular
California

this is getting exciting!

my training is NOT in the bank, last swim was iffy at best. I plan to get in the pool 2 more times before sunday. Not too worried about the bike and I can go the distance on the run, just wont be fast....just dont want to drown....:/

I dont have a wetsuit and I'm not sure they are required but all the pics have folks with and without...I'm sure I'll freeze

and then there is the poo in the water...thanks for pointing that out earlier....I hear that increases swim times

2011-09-13 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco

A spare tube or two.  Last year at my race a training partner blew two tubes before the race even started.  Fortunately, I had an extra to lend her (she had only brought one). 

If you are going to get yankz get them now.  It takes some time to get them adjusted between shoes slipping off and cutting off circulation (personally, I can't stand them).

You can't pick this up at SB but for some unsolicited advice.....

Practice some transitions at a fast pace. Getting swim gear off(especially if your are using a wet suit), into bike gear, out of bike, into run.   Figure out how you like things set up, where you are going to stash nutrition/hydration and when you are going to take it, if any.  Get a system down so you do it automatically (ie - helmet, glasses, gu, shoes...go).  It's REALLY easy to forget something during the rush of transition.

Your fitness is there, no question. I'd replace a longer w/o for some transition practice and start/stop on the bike.  So your neighbors or people in the park think you're wacko running to and from your bike and changing outfits....it's SF, no one will even look twice. 

You'll do great Laughing

Edited by Chatagirl 2011-09-13 3:06 PM
2011-09-13 4:23 PM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA

I have practiced the swim to "bike" (running out of the water, stripping the suit, getting my bike stuff on, etc., but not actually mounted and rode off) several times. I kind of plan to look at this like a swim, a bike, and a run that just happen to be going on within several minutes of each other, so if I need to take a minute to get my bearings, I'm willing to. Thus, for the sake of my sanity, I'm not too concerned about getting my transitions lightening fast (Am I allowed to call them "trannies?" It feels like I should.

Kristy- If the Yanx are potentially lame, I might just take a pass. I'll have already put socks on for the bike, what's a quick shoetie? (When I "brick" my gym workouts, I tie my shoes and I guess it takes me about 5 seconds.) I just wanted something to buy to feel all tri-tastic (and look like more of an accomplished triathlete than Jeff Tongue out). Any chance you're doing this one?

I suppose there are 4 more days for me to hop in the pool, and no real benefit to doing it today- besides, I am feeling a pretty steep decline the past few hours with chills and whatnot.

Jeff: We need to figure out where to meet up and celebrate our triathlete-dom! I'll bring the water wings and first aid kit!  Incidentally, I am wearing a wetsuit simply because the prevailing advice seems to be, "If you have one and can, then wear it," but it seems like many people don't. The water is in the 70's, from what I understand.

2011-09-13 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3684909

Regular
California

I'll be easy to spot as I'll be DFL most likely

A few of my kids are coming early with me and are going to try to volunteer.

at 7 am I'll be cold even if the waters 90F....

I havent practiced any transitions, nor have I made my list of what to bring yet....

By the looks of your training times, you'll beat me by a significant margin.....I'm ok with that....means I work harder and start training sooner!

and "IF" I finish, yes we wil definately be celebrating....I dont know the site so we'll have to figure out how to meet up.

2011-09-13 6:36 PM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA

I'm considering wearing some sort of flashing "Road Hazard" sign on my back during the bike, so look for me then. Although, I suppose I could also put a massive Hello Kitty Mylar Balloon display on my spot in transition... 

Other ways to tell:

- I'll be girl struggling to put on her wetsuit- come up and say hi!

- I'll be the girl trying to sneak some chamois butter- come up and say hi!

- I'll be the beginner crying the in bushes- come up and say hi!

- I'll be the confused newb trying to lay out my transition- come up, offer unsolicited advice, and say hi!

For reals, some things you might spot: I have a blue and yellow Lemond road bike with THE tackiest, yellowest bar tape you've ever seen.  My boyfriend and our schnoodle will be meeting me at the finishline. I'll probably write Smurf on my bib or person (I do this for "luck")... I know I am wearing black Zoot tri shorts (yeah, me and everyone...) and acid green Nike Lunar Elites (these are pretty hard to miss.)

2011-09-13 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3684909

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
smurfcore - 2011-09-13 2:23 PM

Kristy- If the Yanx are potentially lame, I might just take a pass. I'll have already put socks on for the bike, what's a quick shoetie? (When I "brick" my gym workouts, I tie my shoes and I guess it takes me about 5 seconds.) I just wanted something to buy to feel all tri-tastic (and look like more of an accomplished triathlete than Jeff Tongue out). Any chance you're doing this one?

A lot of people really like the Yanx.  I'm just not one of them.  They are like 4 bucks, give them a try. But they definitely need some fine tuning in the beginning.

If you want to look all tri-tastic get one of those aero hemets and wear it pointy side up(for the bike AND run).  That's what alll the cool triathletes are doing. 

I won't be there this weekend...small lakes freak me out(I'm fine in the ocean, go figure).   Was supposed to do Santa Cruz next week but my crappy lungs(bronchitis) had different plans Frown

Pace13  if your kids want to volunteer I would e-mail the race and let them know.  Usually they assign people prior to the race and need to get a signed waiver (by a parent if they are minors) etc.  Especially if they hope to work together on the course try to get them signed up in advance. 

Edited by Chatagirl 2011-09-13 9:21 PM

2011-09-13 9:59 PM
in reply to: #3685057

Regular
California
smurfcore - 2011-09-13 4:36 PM

I'm considering wearing some sort of flashing "Road Hazard" sign on my back during the bike, so look for me then. Although, I suppose I could also put a massive Hello Kitty Mylar Balloon display on my spot in transition... 

Other ways to tell:

- I'll be girl struggling to put on her wetsuit- come up and say hi!

- I'll be the girl trying to sneak some chamois butter- come up and say hi!

- I'll be the beginner crying the in bushes- come up and say hi!

- I'll be the confused newb trying to lay out my transition- come up, offer unsolicited advice, and say hi!

For reals, some things you might spot: I have a blue and yellow Lemond road bike with THE tackiest, yellowest bar tape you've ever seen.  My boyfriend and our schnoodle will be meeting me at the finishline. I'll probably write Smurf on my bib or person (I do this for "luck")... I know I am wearing black Zoot tri shorts (yeah, me and everyone...) and acid green Nike Lunar Elites (these are pretty hard to miss.)

The wife and friends will [hopefully] be at the finish...

I have a blue and white specialized bike with white bar tape, and I'll be riding in my running shoes (should help my T2 time )

shoes are the blue SSR skechers (I somehow convinced them to sponsor me haha!) got them for free along with some tri/bike/running tops that are blue and yellow checkered that say skechers resistance runner" on them.

2011-09-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3685318

Regular
California

Pace13  if your kids want to volunteer I would e-mail the race and let them know.  Usually they assign people prior to the race and need to get a signed waiver (by a parent if they are minors) etc.  Especially if they hope to work together on the course try to get them signed up in advance. 

I tried emailing the race and the company putting this on also has another race the same day called the same thing somewhere else, after about 10 emails back and forth about the race I realized it was the wrong guy.....then he just said have your kids look for "Chuck" in the transition area when you get there.

They're not hell bent on helping out, so I'll just show up and offer their services. If they are not needed they will be my PR staff and security keeping the tri groupies off of me.

oh and they are both adults (wel kinda...19 and 23)

ok, I'm off to the pool to practice not drowning.....

2011-09-16 1:40 PM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA

Pretty stoked! I woke up this morning feeling crap (I've been sick the past two days) and really wanting to blow off my "swear-I'm-gonna-do-it" pool session. I was sure I'd snot and choke and cough up a lung in the deep end.  But, I coasted through 800 yd in about 14 and some change, and then (thought I) did another 800 yd just for good measure. (Turns out my math skills were not up to snuff and I left the pool after only doing another 600.)  Regardless, one of the strongest swims I've had in a while.

Now, I just have to get mile one and mile 18 of the bike out of the way and I'm golden (to give Jeff a run for his money for the coveted title of DFL!)

2011-09-17 1:04 AM
in reply to: #3689721

Regular
California

I see DFL in my future :/

no longer worried about drowning....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, I think my first Triathlon is back on the books! Rss Feed  

of 2