fatrabbitracing.com
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 15s
Overall Rank = 138/196
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/25
Pre-race routine:

RUN! My alarm didn't work so I woke up at 6:05. The last bus from the transition area to the ferry left at 6:40. I threw my stuff together, grabbed a bannana and a slice of bread, filled my water bottles, and ran out the door. I was staying about 20min away from the park. By the time I parked my car and rode my bike to the transition area they were announcing the last bus leaving in 5 minutes! It's a miracle I made it and didn't loose or forget anything in the process!
Event warmup:

Warmup? After all that heart-racing excitement getting to the bus we had to wait for an hour in the ferry dock and crammed together on the ferry.
Swim
  • 39m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

First thing was the goggles. I managed to keep them on for the jump from the ferry, but my straps came loose. I had to roll over and reseat the goggles.
Not sure what went wrong, but I had trouble swimming straight on this one. One minute I was drafting along fine, the next I was far far left. The time reflects that. Last year I was 4min faster.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straight
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Took my sweet time. There was alot of sand and I missed the foot washes, so I took the extra time to towel off the feet and get the socks on.

Hit a foot wash, learn the pre-clipped shoe technique.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 59s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 20.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty country, good roads. Minor hills. I could have gone faster. I met my goal of not getting passed, and I went from place 139 up to 71 on the bike.

Push harder. If my wife finds out I didn't gain any speed over last year she'll ask what I bought the P2K for :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Average T1. Not sure what I need to do to speed it up.
Run
  • 1h 07m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to not walk on this one. Somehow I managed to go almost as slowly as I did last year with the walk-run combo. The added sand took out what I was saving for the final road mile, so I shuffle-jogged to the finish.

Focus on run training leading up to this one. I did too much bike in August.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bev and kept moving. I walked it off the 300yrs to the transition area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm beginning to regret my non-tri wetsuit. It doesn't give me the leg bouyancy others are getting, which throws off my balance. And it's a short-sleeve which restricts my shoulders a bit.

I should have put my goggles inside my cap.

In this case I should have trusted the draft instead of my spotting.

Some apprehension of flaring up the overuse strain on my biking knees made me hold back on the bike.

Lack of run focus in my training made for a very slow run.

Event comments:

This is a really fun challenging race. It's gaining popularity every year because of the Alcatraz slots. This year there were 15 states represented.

There are always a number of random-draw alcatraz slots available too. They start with 8, and for every age group unrepresented or with no finishers who want to go, the slots go to the random draw. We had 20 this year, and only about 50 people who wanted them, so there was a good chance to get one.

Last updated: 2005-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:12 | 1640 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 139/196
Performance: Below average
HR 164
Suit:
Course: Jump from the ferry ~.9mi from shore. Straight swim to the beach. After the breakwalls the loor comes up quick, so dolphin technique is a must.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:59 | 24.9 miles | 20.75 mile/hr
Overall: 71/196
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Around Marblehead peninsula.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:07:37 | 06.2 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 167/196
Avg HR 170
Course: SAND! Look at this: http://www.fatrabbitracing.com/images/events/GLE_Run.jpg All of that along the shore, and about a third of the parts away from shore were sand. The beachfront had the close-to-water option of compressed sand, but much of the time you had to venture out into the loose stuff. This was truely a leg draining effort. I found out from the organizer after the race that they actually added a stretch of loose sand around the 4.5mi mark this year.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes