General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I tri without putting in too much running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-30 10:02 PM

Subject: Can I tri without putting in too much running?
Evening all -I just completed my 2nd tri a few weeks back and I had been ignoring pain in my left foot for a while before the event. Decided to see a podiatrist last week and it turns out I have arthritis of the cuboid bone. I'm 38 and suddenly feel I'm getting old (although I fully appreciate that this can affect all ages). My doc advised me to swim and bike as much as I wanted but to lay off the running. I had a cortisone injection and it feels much better now (I have not run for 6 days now). So... Do you think I can concentrate my training on swim/bike and strength/toning and the just do the 5km at the event or maybe a few runs before?Thanks.

2011-08-30 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3666806

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Can I tri without putting in too much running?

I would say that you can, but don't expect to win the race that way.  

I just did a Tri this past Saturday with a good friend of mine who hadn't ran in years due to a bad back.  He did the 10k just fine.  It was slow and he walked a lot, but he finished it just fine.

I would say there's a risk of injury running without any training, but if you take it easy on 5k distances you're probably ok.  But I am just some dude on the internet who doesn't really know what I'm talking about so please take that into consideration with my advice.  

2011-08-30 10:48 PM

Thanks Tony. I am in no way looking to win - just to get fitter and faster every time!! The run is my worst section and probably needs the most work, sadly. I was just thinking about running maybe once a week to keep where I am now, and spend my other sessions swimming, biking (doc said I can do spin classes too) etc. Seeing the doc in another 3 weeks, hopefully we can figure out what I can/can't do!
2011-08-30 11:13 PM

User image

Master
Houston

I would look into aquajogging.  It is suppose to help maintain run fitness without the impact of real running.  There are a lot of people on the site who are fans of it.

Good luck on your recovery.

Also, some Tri's offer an Aqua-Bike division.  Basically your race ends before the run starts.  If you really can't run you can still compete in multi sport events and even get the T-Shirt !

2011-08-31 2:11 AM

User image

Aqua jogging. There is more than one person who has trained for iron distance and marathons without setting foot on pavement except for race day.

2011-08-31 2:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Traveling
Aqua jogging is definitely a plus. If you doctor allows it I would actually try to run 5 times a week but very short distances like 1k along with aqua jogging. I also have arthritis in my back (45 years old) and I find that I feel better with more running not less. Also, there are some nutritional diets out there that help with athritic conditions. Good luck.

2011-08-31 3:22 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I've been doing that for a while due to injury. You'd be surprised how little running you can get away with if you have to. OTOH, there are consequences. Sometimes the last miles are ugly, for one thing.

Does he think you can return to running eventually or does he say no running ever? If it's the later, sometimes learning to race walk makes doing tris possible again. (Some people race walk faster than I run.)

Also, AquaBikes are becoming more popular. There are a couple of them around where I am and they often sell out before the main race they are attached to.

2011-09-04 7:37 AM

Thank you all for you help. I'll certainly look into aqua jogging and race walking. There are also a couple of aqua bike events near me so that may be the way to go too. I am seeing the doc in another 2 weeks - he wasn't really clear on whether he wanted me to stop running, or just temporarily. I haven't run since my appt with him and although I'm not in actual pain anymore, it does still ache by the end of the day. I'll see where to go from here I guess. Thanks again for your help.
2011-09-04 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

My first Tri was this past March and I've done 4 races this year all total.  Each race up to this point my training focus was swimming and biking - the more fun of the 2 legs for me.  I developed some knee soreness (patellar tendonitis) at some point and my run training has been limited to jog/walk ... a 3 min to 1 min ratio.  I truly suck at running, but so what ... I'm sweating, racing and participating just like everyone else.  I'm there to participate regardless of what anyone else does. 

I have changed my training regimen to run slower, but longer and this seems to work for me. 

To answer your questions, ABSOLUTELY you can do it.  Have fun, participate but do not push yourself to the point of injury. 

2011-09-04 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
I always disliked running so I didn't train for it. I just trained mostly on the bike and figured I could just DO the running. I would have been totally wrong if I hadn't trained at least a little for both. My swimming is still hard and running is as well, but they got tons easier from when I first started. I tend to go too fast for my pace average and run out of energy and breath too soon and quit. I finally can make it to my desired pace with running almost a full 7 miles. It's still not where I want it, but the improvement if I hadn't done at least a little is dramatic. I couldn't make it a mile without stopping before and I can now go almost all the way mid-full strength. If I had gone into my tri just thinking I could make up the time with biking as the rest, I probably wouldn't have gotten done in time for the award ceremony. Now, thankfully, I can go into it pretty much knowing I can at least become in average position which will be great for my first tri. The first one is all about experience and I chose a longer distance just to see if my endurance is on par with where I want it and how much I have to work with it. Good luck!
2011-09-05 4:11 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
When I have had injuries, I ease by in with walking... and then a walk/run. Something like a 4 minute walk, 1 minute run. Then I work down from there as the pain reduces.

Although, I have only done that when I have had to train for upcoming races. Once those races were done I took a good month off running to get all healed up. It worked. Fixed, the Achilles tendon issue I dealt with from Sept 2010-March 2011.

2011-09-05 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sure you can try to TRI!
2011-09-05 1:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Yep, my boyfriend can't train the run at ALL due to a bad back and a bad knee, but he's finished tris with both 5K and 10K runs by run-walking them. Like someone else said, you won't win that way, but you can still get out there and have a blast.  Another option is to look into if there's any aquabike events in your area while you're healing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I tri without putting in too much running? Rss Feed