General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Done. 1/2 IM in a month Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-31 12:36 AM

Subject: IM Done. 1/2 IM in a month

Hey Everyone,

I just raced at Canada and completed IMC. It feels pretty good getting at 14:55 knowing that I just started my triathlon career 8 months ago.

Now that the IronMan is done (past Sunday) and I have the Myrtle Beach half IronMan next month, what do I need to do between now and October 9 so I can set myself set up for success?

My goal time at the Myrtle Beach half Iron is to beat my 6:10 time at the Kinetic Half Iron I got in May, even if it means that I beat it by a minute.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

2011-08-31 10:58 PM
in reply to: #3666873

User image

Regular
Kansas City
Subject: RE: IM Done. 1/2 IM in a month

Hey I'm in a similar situation and just finished IM KY and decided to sign up for HIM Branson in a few weeks and am wondering what type of training to do as well.

-Ian

2011-09-01 2:43 AM

Focus on recovery just as you normally would.  Don't do anything too long or intense.  Mostly swim and bike, maybe some run/walk after a week or two.  The weekend before I would carefully see what you have in the tank and then taper on into the race.  You're not going to add any fitness and as long as you keep moving you won't lose any either.  But if you don't recover enough, you'll be in for a long day.

Edited by rexcoltrain 2011-09-01 2:46 AM
2011-09-01 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Recover.  How long this takes will be different for the three disciplines, and also depends on a lot of individual things.

Let's guesstimate two weeks for more or less full recovery.  (That doesn't mean two weeks of no training.  It means two weeks of quite easy training, recovery efforts on the bike, perhaps gradually ramping up.  I would not run for a week.  Introduce recovery riding on the bike as tolerable.  Use the swim to maintain good aerobic fitness, because that will come back more quickly than the others.)  Then you get 7-10 days to do some more serious training before you take it easier for the few days leading up to the race.

Meanwhile:  STUDY the run course for MB.  Imprint it in your brain.  Write it on the back of your hand.  The run course is a mess (unless they've fixed it).

2011-09-01 11:51 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Don't underestimate the recovery time from the IM and the lingering effects. I am four weeks past an IM and plan to do an HIM four weeks from now. I started right back into light training after three days of rest and thought I had recovered pretty quickly because I did not have a great deal of soreness but after a week or so the fatigue was getting a bit worse. My body was still tired after three weeks and I'm just now starting to feel like I have some endurance and inner strength.

I'll start a quick build on my bike over the next three weeks while doing mostly easy runs. I have an odd set of races coming up so I'll use those for keeping some intensity in the mix (an Oly this weekend, 15k run race, 17 mile bike time trial, then the HIM). Kind of a fun period of time for me as I'm not too serious about my times and just having a lot of fun. Week after the HIM I'm doing a Hell Run and than a half marathon.
2011-09-06 11:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth

You wont recover in time....and you'll be disappointed with your time in the HIM.

Don't waste your money.

2011-09-07 2:01 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne

Well I really do agree with popracer in that DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE RECOVERY.

I think grbelja is a little bit drastic, but if you expect to beat your previous time as grbelja says pull out now!!

The important recovery has already been considering IMC was 10 days ago and I definitely wouldn't underestimate what that would of taken out of you considering temps were over 35 degrees C.

Hopefully the week after you did some light activity, walking, swimming, cycling for 30-45 min per day with stretching and massage (very very light), this helps increase blood flow to muscles for recovery and helps moved those damaged fibres so they heal properly and don't cause scar tissue.

Diet is super important over this time and getting natural antioxidants in to balance the oxidative stress (like what happens to the flesh of an apple once you remove the skin) your body has experienced internally.  Also midday naps, as growth hormone is released during sleep.

Remember you may experience IM blues.  The buzz is gone and all the time and energy occupied by training is gone/reduced. Semi-depressed.

In the second week you can start thinking about swimming and cycling (from a "training" point of view), but you should still keep sessions easy, short, light.  You shouldn't jog for at least two weeks (or at least 3-5 days after soreness is gone). Do a 20 min test jog (if legs feel like bricks stop! you are not ready). Wait 48 hours, then repeat, keep doing this until you can run 45 minutes easily every third day without abnormal fatigue (pre IMC).  You can then progress to run every other day and then continue onward towards your regular routine.

Diet is still super important to help recovery.

As you gradually start training again you are entering a "grey zone".  You are no longer sore but your body is still damaged and recovering.  To understand this use recovery markers as a guide.  Each person is unique - some sleep more, get stressed easily, eat more, get grumpy.  Use these to judge your recovery.

Week three you can take up a more "base training regime" (not what you were doing in the month before IMC).  Your training should still be moderate, you are still recovering!!

After six weeks you can begin more intense training, but because you would of raced by then you can ignore this!!

You can do it, but I would scrap any goal time you have and remember this SHORT time in between is all about putting your body, muscles back together. 

DO THE RACE AND HAVE FUN BUT LIKE GRBELJA SAID DON'T DO IT IF YOU EXPECT TO BEAT A TIME THAT YOU DID WHEN FRESH EVEN IF YOU WERE "LESS TRAINED/EXPERIENCED".  YOUR DREAMING!!

BTW, I'm planning on doing an IM 3 weeks and 1 day after I do another IM.  I expect at least 25% increase in time best case scenario!!!!!  The first one I will race the second I just hope to finish.

2011-09-07 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Not to hijack, but I'm having some similar questions. I did IMKY and want to do a stand alone marathon on 10/15. I have done a couple of runs including a fast 40 min last night and my legs felt great. I have never done a marathon by itself, so I dont have any hard line time goals. Any thoughts?
2011-09-07 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3676152

User image

New user
Melbourne

TriathletePT - 2011-09-08 12:57 AM Not to hijack, but I'm having some similar questions. I did IMKY and want to do a stand alone marathon on 10/15. I have done a couple of runs including a fast 40 min last night and my legs felt great. I have never done a marathon by itself, so I dont have any hard line time goals. Any thoughts?

DO IT!  And have fun.  Especially because you have no "goals" as such.  But as per my post above listen to your body and take things slowly.  Because it will be six weeks you should be getting close to 100% BUT....... They do say it is closer to 3 months before your body has completely recovered though.

Great to see an Aussie won IMKY!

2011-09-07 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3675650

Master
, California
grbelja - 2011-09-06 9:41 PM

You wont recover in time....and you'll be disappointed with your time in the HIM.

Don't waste your money.

Depends on the individual.  I PR'd my bike and run splits on an Oly 3 weeks after my IM this year.  And I felt reasonably good 1 week after the IM.

Even if not fully recovered, it's reasonable to assume you improved fitness over the previous year.  Nothing to lose by giving it a shot, other than your entry fee.

Edited by spudone 2011-09-07 11:20 PM
2011-09-08 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3677017

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
wild_taz666 - 2011-09-07 8:36 PM

TriathletePT - 2011-09-08 12:57 AM Not to hijack, but I'm having some similar questions. I did IMKY and want to do a stand alone marathon on 10/15. I have done a couple of runs including a fast 40 min last night and my legs felt great. I have never done a marathon by itself, so I dont have any hard line time goals. Any thoughts?

DO IT!  And have fun.  Especially because you have no "goals" as such.  But as per my post above listen to your body and take things slowly.  Because it will be six weeks you should be getting close to 100% BUT....... They do say it is closer to 3 months before your body has completely recovered though.

Great to see an Aussie won IMKY!

He's done well every year there. I think a win in 07, 2nd in 08, and a win this year. Not sure about 09,10 though.

2011-09-08 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
I will also add that I did a sprint 7 days after IMKY back in 08 and that was my only podium to date. I'm not sure how my legs would have tolerated any longer distances, but I was able to just hammer on the bike and the run. I then proceeded to felt awful for the next 3 weeks, but I got my podium and had a fun race.
2011-09-11 6:37 PM

THanks everyone. Question: so technically where do I start exactly? Do I repeat the trainig as if I was 4 weeks from my first HIM when I did it earlier this year? Note that I did almost nothing 2 weeks after my race (family related reasons). Help!??
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Done. 1/2 IM in a month Rss Feed