World Triathlon Corporation
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 44m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Steve (hubby) and I left Florida on Wednesday and arrived early friday morning as we stayed over in Nashville. Long drive!! As soon as we checked in the hotel I felt the "ironman energy" all around us! I love that. Went to the expo, picked up the package and did some shopping. Relaxed, did some walking later and met up with some friends. On sat I ran 20 min to the pre race swim practice. I decided not to do the swim due to the crowds and I did not feel the need for it. I am a slow swimmer but usually comfortable in the water so I felt ok. Went back to the hotel, got the bike ready and bags as well. Sat night we had a nice dinner at the spaghetti factory. I was feeling pretty relaxed and ready for the morning to come.
Event warmup:

Woke up at 4am and had my usual breakfast: oatmeal, craisins, agave, 1/2 banana and coffee. filled my water bottles with NUUN and off we went. I think steve was more nervous than I was!! Arrived at transition, filled my tires, my nutritio bag, checked everything 3x, dropped my special needs bags, found Steve and started walking to the swim start. Wow! the line was huge which made me a little anxious but I thought Oh well it is what it is and I will deal with it. Made myself comfortable in the line, gave a kiss to steve and he left to go to the grassy area near the swim start so he could see me start!
Swim
  • 1h 28m 52s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

I definately prefer a mass start! waiting in line made me anxious. I had more contact in this swim than in my one and only prior IM in cozumel. Unfortunately, within my first 25 yards I heard some screaming of"help" and as I looked I saw chest compressions being done on a swimmer...AGH! not a site I wanted to see and all I could think of was oh please don't let Steve see this (this would be the third time he would see CPR being done in a participant among all the races I have done...not good). I did a little prayer for the swimmer and his family and moved on. overall I felt pretty good, I just kept on moving, never stopped and my sighting was great. The diesel smell was nasty and the color of the water!! I do all my swims in the ocean so this was a little strange for me. I felt great thought. Running to the transition I saw Steve and gave him a big smile and thumbs up!!Ran grabbed my bag and into the changing tent!!
What would you do differently?:

I guess get faster!!! lol..
Transition 1
  • 09m 40s
Comments:

I did it as fast as possible

again get faster
Bike
  • 7h 53m 14s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I had been having nightmares about this part for months!!! being from south florida I had been nervous about the "rolling hills". I had done some training in clermont, fl which has rolling hills but still it is florida. I trained in very hot conditions with high humidity so I felt the temp on race day was perfect. Ok, so I get on the bike and within 20 miles I start getting horrible stomach cramps, I begin to think..hmmm is it the nasty river water? no, I did not swallow any..hmmm holy $#@%^ it is period cramps (sorry TMI)..OMG!! no this can't be happenning..I ignore them but the cramps get worse and worse...I think happy thoughts...sing...curse...and up we go on the rolling hills and I actually hit 37MPH going down one of the long hills which for me is very fast. I am sipping NUUN, eating my cliff blocks, pretzels, etc and overall feeling ok except for my u know what. I stopped at the special needs bag section early (33miles) and took some advil that I had packed just in case and went to the bathroom. Off I went again and luckily my cramps went away and never came back!!! woooohooo for advil!!!! I did what steve told me to do on all the hills..."granny gear up and pedal pedal pedal fast downhill to get me up the other one" and it worked!!! I never cramped and never thought once I would not finish the bike ride. I stopped to help a guy who was cramping up really bad and offered some sea salt, he put it in the water and off I went again. I only stopped once to help (I can't help it, I hate seeing people in misery..and I hope someone will stop for me if I need it). I did see a couple of accidents but the paramedics were there already. I stopped at 66 miles and had my peanut butter sandwich..hmmm delicious! I enjoyed the people cheering at La Grange, and all the volunteers were awesome. Steve was at La Grange but I missed him, he did see me so that was good for him. I am a slow bike rider but I am very proud that I did the hills well. I wish I had hills near me!! Oh yeah, I did not enjoy going over that little bump at the bike dismount. My nutrition and hydration was perfect!

practice hills, get faster on the bike...
Transition 2
  • 09m 52s
Comments:

took my time, went to the potty and off I went...wooohooo now for the dessert part of the race!
Run
  • 6h 03m 14s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good when I started. I gave a big kiss and hug to steve and thumbs up again! I had plenty of time for the run even if I had to crawl.
My stomach was perfect, I had no GI discomfort, I was drinking coke, water, some perform (gross), broth, pretzels and a grape here and there. Never felt nauseous. At mile 13 I actually thought i had a chance of making it at 15 hours as nothing was really bothering me besides the normal exhaustion. Then my left achilles started to really hurt...aghhhhh I had to walk run alot!! it really slowed me down more and I missed the opportunity to get 15hrs. I found the run course a little boring at times but it was very well supported with police and hydration/food stations. The finish was awesome and I was greeted by the winner!! wow! I smiling, crying all at once. It is the best feeling to cross that line!!! the volunteer walked me to steve who had already picked up my bike, thank God! we walked over to the food and overall I was feeling k.

get faster!!! I know I could have run faster and with less walking if my left achilles had not hurt so much.
Post race
Warm down:

I was pretty disappointed that they had no pizza, only cookies and chips and soda. So we walked over to a restaurant and ordered to go food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am just a slow racer!!! but I love it and will continue to do them for as long as my body allows me to. I love the training, testing my body and mind and the feeling of accomplishment when I cross the finish line ;-)

Event comments:

Great volunteers! very organized I just wish they would have had more food options at the finish. I later learned the participant did die in the swim portion. I hope his family is able to get some peace knowing that he died doing what he loved to do because no one goes into an ironman race unless they love racing. May he rest in peace. I hope Ironman corp sends his family the race medal.

Last updated: 2011-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:28:52 | 3862 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: one lap, time trial. I got in the water 20 min after the official start. For some reason I felt there was alot of contact, more so than in a mass start. Water was very dark!! and had a diesel smell that was disgusting.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:53:14 | 112 miles | 14.20 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills and an area with some long hills, fast downhills. I am from south florida so these were mountains for me! some areas felt windy but not so bad. Course well marked and very well supported.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:03:14 | 26.2 miles | 13m 52s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 2 laps, able to see the finish line going around first lap which I find motivating! it is a tease
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-31 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2011-08-31 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3667156

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville

Congratulations Ironman!  Talk about bad timing with the cramps.  You gotta love Advil though 

Edited by Cincyman1113 2011-08-31 11:41 AM
2011-08-31 12:39 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats!!!  I can't imagine what happened to the pizza....when I got there, the pizza was piled high!!!  I have never seen so much pizza in my life.
2011-08-31 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Great report Alicia!     Awesome job with IM #2!!!!      You are a great inspiration!!   Happy for you!   You also proved how much "Iron" spirit you have with getting the job done with all that got in your way leading up to the race!  (not to mention helping the guy that was cramping-very nice)

Sorry about there not being any pizza for you at the finish.   Tell you what, next time you and your hubby come to Chicago area, I will make sure you get the best pizza possible!   My treat! 

Very sad about the person that died.  As you say, at least he died doing something he loved! 

2011-08-31 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

We had to cross paths out there at some point through out the day ~ our times are so close!!

There was no pizza when I got in there either Frown.  Oh well, we happened to find a place that was delivering until 4:30 that morning!! Smile

Congratulations on your race!!

2011-08-31 4:36 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Great job and nice race report! Can't believe about the cramps that is the worst timing-- but love your attitude and lucky you had medicine!

I'm kinda shocked the pizza was not there for you, booo! I can't eat normal pizza (gluten free here) but I'd ordered a gluten free pizza to-go the night before the race and had my BF bring it to the finish line, ha! 

Congrats again, Ironman!

2011-08-31 4:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Great job out there! I saw you running through the finish chute. Congrats on your 2nd Ironman. I agree that WTC should send the athlete's family his medal. Congrats again!
2011-09-01 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
You did a fantastic job! Good stuff! 
2011-09-02 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Ohio
You're right, that Ironman perform stuff is NASTY. I can't stand it. Great job out there, 15 hours or more, any Ironman finish is a good day. Way to go!
2011-09-05 8:25 AM

User image

Regular
Holland, Mich.
Well done,and great report!  I wasn't that much ahead of you.  I wonder what happened to all the pizza.  There was plenty at the convention center when I got there, but I was only able to get down one piece since my body had been "living" on gels, water, and shot blocks all day.  Best wishes for the future!
2011-09-06 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Nice race! Us flatlanders sure had a rough time on those hills! I know for me, it was my first time riding hills and it really zapped me for the run. Way to hang tough and finish!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed