Reston Triathlon
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 24s
Overall Rank = 247/517
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my "A" race for the year. It is the only Oly distance race in Northern Virginia and the closest to my house. This is my hometown race as I train over a lot of this area. It is also very hard to get into this race. They did registration over 3 nights allowing 200 entries a night and they usually filled in the first hour. The defending champion had to get an exemption into the race. Anyway, I signed up for this back in Feb before I had really started training. I guessed on my swim time as I had never swam 1500 meters before. My bad as they assigned swim waves based on estimated swim times, not by age or gender. I had put down some "hope to not drown time" and ended up in the last wave with people hoping to not drown. So, I ended up with a pink swim cap.

I got up at 4:30 and had a bagel, granola bar and orange juice. This race had two different transition areas, so I drove over to the T2/finish area. I set up my T2 area, picked up my timing chip and rode my bike over to the swim start/T1 area. The last wave's assigned transition area was as far from the entry/exit as you could get. Oh well, live and learn, although I did get a good spot on the rack. Did the usual waiting around, got my wetsuit on and went to watch the early waves.
Event warmup:

Nothing beyond the one mile bike ride from dropping off my car and run stuff at T2/finish area.
Swim
  • 33m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This went way better than I expected. The week before the race, the race director sponsored a practice swim over the race course, as there is usually no swimming in the race lake. It was a disaster as I had big problems with my wetsuit and only swam 3/4 of race course. Anyway, I watched the first 6 waves go off and waited for my turn. I got off to a good start and managed to control my pace over the first 200 meters. The race did a good job of keeping the waves small (about 80 people) and a nice wide race course. I was able to find open water and got into a good pace. By the time I got to the turn around point, I was in middle of the wave in front of me and had caught a few people from the wave in front of that. On the way back, I started having some problems with directional control and looked like I was leading a World War II convoy with all the zig zagging around the course. I felt good all the way to the end of the course and was able to run out of the lake.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to bi-lateral swim and work on siting to reduce wasted time with staying on course. Despite that I was very happy with my swim time and even happier to be out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

After the run to my tranistion spot, I got my wetsuit off quickly and got ready to go. This was the best T1 tranistion I've had. My HR was a little high but came down quickly.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 17m 14s
  • 22.3 miles
  • 17.32 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the worst part of my race. It started with my chain coming off right at the mount line. So, I had to stop and put it on as I was barely moving and it was up hill. After I got going I wanted to pace myself and use the bike to hydrate. From looking at the times and rankings, I took it too easy. I never felt like I was pushing my self but I didn't want one of those death march runs, like in my last race. I also managed to knock the chain off a second time, something I need to fix, on the second loop. Overall, I was disappointed in the bike and it shows me what I need to work on over the winter.

Push a lot harder which I could have done but I definitely need to increase my training on the bike. I thought that I was doing well with my cycling but obviously need to re-assess.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This went well. Shoes on quickly and out of the transition area quickly as I had a good spot. Was able to drink some gatorade.

Nothing
Run
  • 54m 39s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my strongest event during the day. I quickly got over that dead leg, brick feeling and settled into a nice pace. I passed a lot of people during the run but I had a lot of people to pass having started in the last wave of the swim and a sub-par bike. I could have run faster but I didn't know the course that well and they didn't have the distances marked. The finish was cool as they had the finish line in the local High School football stadium. I even won a sprint finish with someone I caught on the track. Overall, it was a good run.

Know the course so that I could have paced myself better. I think I could have run faster if I knew where I was on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

They handed out towels soaked in ice water at the finish. Which felt great and you got to keep the towel. Found my family and got some food. They had bread from the Harvest bread company. A local bakery with great food. I also watched part of the wedding that took place at the finish. Two of the participants got married at the end of the race. They had met doing triathlons and as it was a second wedding for both so they wanted to do something different.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My biggest weakness is on the bike. I don't have a problem with the distance but I need to increase my speed. Definitely something to work on over the winter. I need to be able to push myself on the bike without ruining my run. Time to "Ride lots".

Event comments:

The race was well organized, efficient and enjoyable. If I can get in, I would do this race again. They had pretty good swag, a nice sweatshirt, socks, towel, water bottle and some coupons. Overall a big thumbs up.

I will update this when they post transition times.

Last updated: 2005-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:32 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 239/517
Performance: Good
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: The course was an out and back loop in one of the local lakes. Although the course did have a slight dog leg with a row of bouys down the middle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:17:14 | 22.3 miles | 17.32 mile/hr
Overall: 318/517
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: The course was 3 loops with a tail into the tranistion area
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:39 | 06.2 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 197/517
Course: It was basically an out and back with a side loop on the leg out. This made the leg out longer than the leg back. It was rolling with a few steep ascent/descents
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-14 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: Reston Triathlon

2005-09-15 9:56 AM
in reply to: #246908

User image

Regular
King George, VA
Subject: RE: Reston Triathlon

Hey Ernie, great race report!

Congrats on your first Olympic distance event!!

2005-09-15 10:08 AM

User image

Regular
Lone Tree, CO
Thanks for the race report.  Congrats on your for OLY.  You did a great job.  So, what's next...Ironman perhaps .
2005-09-15 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington, DC(ish)
I was waiting for this one. Nice job and congratulations.
2005-09-16 3:40 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Chris Tree 2005-09-16 3:41 AM
2005-09-16 8:47 AM

Regular
What lake was this in? I used to live in Reston (now in NC) and didnt even know they had a triathlon though I wasn't into tri's back then mid 1990's. And the bike and run? Where were they? I have friends and relatives in Fairfax and would love to come up next year for this race!

Glad you enjoyed the race despite the bike problems!

tridaddy.blogspot.com

2005-09-16 1:07 PM
in reply to: #247835

Expert
Herndon VA
The race is held in Lake Audobon, which sits by South Lakes Blvd. The bike goes through Reston, mostly on South Lakes Blvd and Glade Drive. The run goes on the trail through Reston. See www.Restontriathlon.org for route maps. If you want to do this race, you'll want to watch this page for registration. I said in my report it fills up very quickly (within hours). They are talking about using a lottery next year.

Ernie
2005-09-16 1:36 PM

Regular
Thanks for the info. I used to work right off of Wiehle and live nearby as well. Thanks!

tridaddy.blogspot.com
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reston Triathlon Rss Feed