General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training and aging: I'm confused, need input! (long) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-02 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
Galesburg
Subject: Training and aging: I'm confused, need input! (long)
This is for 50+ people (like me), and anyone who knows stuff about training related to different stages in life.

I'm 55 years old.  I LOVE to train, and to do endurance events.  So far I've checked off my "bucket list":  A (road) half marathon, a (road) marathon, a trail 50K, two sprint triathlons and an Oly
triathlon.  I would LOVE to be able to train for three more items on my "list": 
A trail 50 miler, a half Ironman tri, and an Ironman.  I had a conversation with
my DW the other day, which led to a conversation with her chiro.  He said he
went to a conference where Dr. Cooper, the "inventor" of the concept of aerobic
training, was a keynote speaker.  He (Cooper) talked about how when people are
over 50, if they over-train, there are diminishing returns, and that free
radicals are released, and persitent over-training will lead to early death from
heart disease and/or cancer.  According to the chiro, Cooper defines
over-training for a +50 as strenuous exercise for over 30 minutes, and certainly
anything over an hour.  Which translated means running at a fast pace (~7 m/m)
for more than 30 min. and more than an hour for slower running ( />10 m/m),
more than an hour of hard cycling, and more than a half hour for fast
swimming.

The book te chiro pointed me to is The Anti-Oxidant Revolution by Cooper. 

Here's a few questions I have. 
1.)  Cooper's book was published in 1994.  17 years ago.  Has there been research
since then that has either confirmed or cast doubt on Cooper's
statements?
2.)  If Cooper is right, and strenuous exercise for over 30 min.
for +50's leads to early death from cancer and heart disease (he uses Lance
Armstrong as an example, saying his persistent long training is going to cause
him to die young from cancer), then there are a lot of age groupers like
me who can look forward to an early grave!  Have I been, for the last 2 years,
bringing on early death?  And if Cooper is right, why isn't there a hue and cry
from the medical community saying, "Anyone over 50 who is into distance running,
utra running, triathlon or any long-distance endurance sport--STOP!  You're
KILLING YOURSELVES"?

If I am really doing damage to myself by long runs and such, I'll stop.  I want to be there for my 6 year old's HS graduation, college graduation, wedding....  But if Cooper and my chiro are wrong, well.... 

Thanks for reading this screed, and thanks for your feedback!

2011-09-02 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3670679

Pike NH
Subject: RE: Training and aging: I'm confused, need input! (long)
Hey Buscha, I am a 64 yr old and I started training at the ripe old age of 63. So far this season I've done 5 sprint triathlons and another one this weekend. I even podiumed in my age group once. I've found that this new life style has done nothing but good for me. I feel terrific, better than I have in years. Better than at 54 and probably better than even 44 but I can't remember back that far. The key for me is moderation. In my youth I was a scholarship athlete so I was used to pushing my body as far as it would go, but I find at this stage in life moderation is the key. When I first started training in earnest  I ran 1 mile in 14 minutes and I was exhausted. Today I can run 10k under 12 minute miles, I can swim over a mile and have done a 12 mile bike averaging 18.5 mph. In the beginning of the training I experienced a lot of muscle pulls and tore my meniscus as my body adjusted from being mostly sedentary to being very active, but since the season started I've been injury free. Again, the key is that I've increased my training gradually, probably less than 10% a week. I now train 5-7 hours a week. My goal for next year is to do at least one Olympic distance and maybe even a half IM. I take it one day at a time and will go with this as far as it takes me. Since my personal experience is so positive I would be very leary of any theories that caution against vigorous exercise at a later age. If you personal message me I can put you on to a internet group for 50+ triathletes. Ed
2011-09-03 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3670770

User image

Veteran
Calgary

I can't speak from any medical or scientific perspective ... but I will tell you that in my old triathlon club one of our coaches was in his 60's and had been doing endurance sports his whole life. One of our teammates was 74 and could smoke just about anyone on the bike leg, he had been doing triathlons for over 30 years. We had a few other members on the team who were 50+ and they were ALL healthy, strong, and happy.

If we spend our lives worrying about what's going to kill us, we'll miss living. Sure you could quit endurance sports with the hopes of preventing cancer in 10 years - but tomorrow you could get hit by a bus. Just sayin'.

2011-09-03 7:58 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I'd like to see the scientific evidence to this Cooper person book.  As a sports medicine professional, and admittedly without doing a medline search, I'm gonna call BS on this one. I have trouble getting most of my pts off the couch.  The American College of Sports Medicine guidlines right calls fora MINIMUM of 30 minutes of exercise a day I believe.  I'd say you are way fitter and healthier than your sedantary counterparts.  Train on.
2011-09-04 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

Consider Lew Hollander.  He did his first Ironman in his mid fifties.  He's now 80 and still doing them. 

http://www.bendbulletin.com/article/20101011/NEWS0107/10110333/

Other older Ironman athletes, Bob Scott, http://ironman.com/events/ironman/worldchampionship/fran-arfaras-profiles-2008-mens-75-79-age-group-winner-robert-scott-naperville-il-usa#axzz1Wzlh53ys

and Milos Kostic just beat the 70-75 age group record in last week IM Canada by going 11:14 )….he’s in his 70′s!!!!

2011-09-04 11:41 AM

User image

Melon Presser

No. Just ... no. Good grief.

If you want a good, evidence-based, scientific resource regarding endurance training and aging, I'd suggest Pete Reaburn's website:

www.mastersathlete.com.au

2011-09-29 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I've been looking for info from other older athletes for awhile so I was pleased to find this question.  I'm not familiar with Dr. Cooper but I am a retired Chiro and I can't imagine telling anyone over 50 to be wary of exercise.  Yesterday, I rode my first 80km in a slow 3:48:14 (there was a major headwind - both ways and it was uphill both ways).  My heart rate averaged 137bpm and hit a max 174bpm.  Today I feel a bit stiff and my butt's sore but I feel great.  I need a better saddle.

I think it would be wise for us to maybe take some extra strength anti-oxidants as free radical protection.

Recently, I rode with a group of older fellows (I'm 61 in Oct.) and these fellows (65+) had to slow down to allow me to keep up.  My best ride was 26.8km/hr for 40km with a strong tailwind.  These fellows avg well above that.  I want to ride with them to ride faster but I can't keep up...YET!

This year I heavily volunteered for Ironman Canada and loved it.  In the race Sister Madonna Buder from the U.S. completed the swim and bike but was 1 minute overtime on the bike so she was stopped from the run.  She completed IMC 17 times.  Was DNF in 2010 due to a wetsuit malfunction and this year was likely her last IMC.  She's 81 years young and an amazing woman.

Also with IMC 2011, Milos Kostic smashed the old record for M70-74 with an 11:14:24!  Beating the former record by 2 hours and qualifying for Hawaii.

Maybe all this exercise increases our risk of cancer and injury but I don't think it should stop us.  More than ever we have to be more careful, we have to work in moderation, we have to be aware of our bodies.  As we age we become a bit more brittle.  Our skin thins, calcium leaches from our bones and so on.  The only thing we can do to slow the process and improve our quality of life is to exercise.

Keep it up.

2011-09-29 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I forgot to mention any of Joe Friel's books.  Getting a bit old but still reasonably relevant.  He gets a bit heavy on the science but still good.  Especially his book: Cycling over 50.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training and aging: I'm confused, need input! (long) Rss Feed