Ironman North America
96F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 56m 57s
Overall Rank = 2385/2890
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 142/167
Pre-race routine:

We arrived in Penticton on Friday and went straight to check in. The moment I hit the boarder I was all smiles. In fact I don't think I stopped smiling until race morning. After packet pick up I went to the TriBike Transport folks to get my gear bag and my bike. Those guys rocked. They all knew my yellow bike and said they were sad to see "The Banana" go. When Doug returned the bike for me after the race they were very supportive and asked how The Banana did.

Ryan had lent me his ZIPPS but I was hesitant to use them at first. I'd borrowed a friend's deep dishes back home to practice but they made me very nervous. Doug and I talked about it for a while and realized what had made me nervous about Paul's wheels were not a factor with the ZIPPS. Paul's were all carbon tubulars and I rode them in a severe storm. Therefore I didn't like the feel of the brakes, was nervous about a tire change, and the slipperiness of the wheels in the rain. Doug pointed out Ryan's were clinchers with aluminum strips where the breaks gripped so that felt the same as my wheels, tire change would be exactly the same and there wasn't any rain in the forecast. After a test ride I felt better. Ryan's wheels felt exactly like my wheels underneath me and that is what I wanted. Nothing new on race day right?

We had some difficulty getting the front tire to hold air so we visited the boys at the Bike Barn in town. That was another fantastic feature of the race. Those guys were hopping from morning til night the whole week. They changed the tube no charge. The mechanic did notice my cassette set up and warned about not crossing the chain or I might rip the derailleur off. Now I have been practicing on this cassette for several months and was well aware of the limits I had to follow with my gearing, however telling a nervous first time ironmaner she could RIP HER DERAILLEUR OFF is never a cool thing to do to someone. Those words were way too harsh for my sensitive nerves. Doug just reminded me I know how to ride and keep moving forward.

Finally race day came and I was such a wreck. My gut started to turn on me at 3am. I tried my best to force down a bowl of oatmeal but without too much success. Doug and Paul drove us girls to town and the tears started flowing as I hugged Doug goodbye. I have never been so nervous in my life.

Event warmup:

Once we got inside the transition area I was a little better. Just being there and having an excuse to move and something to do helped. I joked with the women at the bike rack that the DJ was sending us all a sign. The first song was Live and Let Die and then they played Georgia Rose. Seriously?

My front tire was low on air. Once again this shot off my nerves but I looked at the positive side. One of the situations I was most dreading was mechanical issues out on the course. So if I was going to have problems the best place was before I even started right? I pumped the tire and made a mental note to check it before I hit the course. If it was flat after the swim I’d take it right to the mechanics.

Swim
  • 1h 26m 5s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got the bike all set up, bags dropped off, wet suit on, and finally went on to the beach. We saw Doug right away and that was great. My nerves were better now so I was all smiles again. Katie, Chris and I huddled together near the front and just chatted while we waited. A race photographer was amused by us so there should be lots of photos of the three of us being silly.

Oh Canada was played for the pros and the rest of the racers started filling in. I expected it to be more crowded around me but that was more than made up during the swim. Oh Canada played once again and we were off. We lined up about 3 rows back and directly in line with the buoys. The first few minutes were fine, lots of contact but all feet and arms. Then it felt like a tidal wave came surging in from the back. Everyone was pushed on top of each other. Now when you tried to move your arms it was landing on someone’s back, butt, waist, etc and there literally wasn’t any room to swim. I was forced vertical for a second and realized it would be easy to panic in that situation. Thankfully my nerves had turned to aggression and I just forced myself horizontal and kept at it. It settled out after a few more minutes.

The draft was amazing. I didn’t have to change course on the way out to stay in the bubbles, only to avoid being kicked or the occasional breast stroker. A word about that – when you are in a very massive crowd and are wearing a wetsuit there is no need to breast stroke to sight. Simply pop your head up and float in a horizontal position. I can’t tell you how many times I got kicked in the chest by someone in front of me who randomly started breast stroking. I rarely sighted on the way out due to the mass of people. I simply followed the crowd. At one point I noticed a man doing the back stroke and thought to myself, “That poor guy is already struggling.” Well that poor guy passed me doing the back stroke about 30 seconds later and I never saw him again. WOW!

People told me the turns get crowded but luckily they went very smoothly. My friend Chris got kicked in the ear so bad here she had to grab a kayaker for a few minutes. She blacked out a little bit and had blood behind her eardrum. Luckily she finished strong. Once I cleared the second turn buoy I lost some of the crowd. At one point the Blue Seventy swimming next to me and I started racing towards a stream of bubbles about 50 yards in front of us. Darn Blue Seventy beat me so I swam off to find my own bubbles. People didn’t swim straight on the back half of the course. I’d get in a group and then have someone cutting across me at a 70 degree angle. I felt like that crazy fish in the fish tank from Finding Nemo who was very possessive about his bubbles. Every time I found feet to draft I’d keep thinking in my head, “my bubbles.”

Soon I could hear the people on the beach. When I started seeing the grasses I knew I was getting close. Then the rocks, sand, I’m there!!! I stood up at 1:25 and cleared the timing mat at 1:26. I wanted to swim a 1:30 so I was off to a great start!!!!

What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't change anything. I had a great time and it was cool to be part of the largest mass start in Ironman history!
Transition 1
  • 08m 13s
Comments:

I was very lazy at the wetsuit strippers, sorry guys, but they managed quite well. Into the changing tent and gagged from the aerosol sun spray in the air. A very nice woman helped me change. The best part about her was she held up my tube of Assos cream while I struggled into my shorts and repacked all my swim crap to save me some time. After the full kit change I was out of there. I wasn’t too concerned about my T1 time but was pleased to see it didn’t take me as long as I expected. Got to the bike and checked that the front tire still had air. With fingers crossed it’s off the to the bike course.
Bike
  • 7h 26m 57s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I saw the iron family on Main Street and was sent off with lots of cheers and smiles. It felt great to be heading out and I was having such a good time. At one section a group of people were banging their hand clappers in unison and there was just enough background noise I didn’t recognize it for what it was, I thought there was something wrong with my bike! After a quick panicked look down I relaxed.

The first part of that ride is fast. I was averaged 19mph on the first hour without going over 110 watts. Gotta love an aero helmet, aero wheels and gradual descents. The fist aide station was at mile 10 and they had a whole Breast Cancer Awareness theme. There was a huge tissue paper pink bra and lots of men in pink bras as well. Sadly about 2 miles later there was a mass section of flat tires. A volunteer was on our side of the road telling everyone to move over because there were tacks. Really? Unfortunately I must have passed 25 cyclist out with flats in a 1 mile stretch. That sucked. Of course a race referee was riding right next to me for those 2 miles making me extremely nervous. I kept waiting for her to tell me I was blocking but there was no way I was getting anywhere near the right side of the road. Thankfully she eventually moved on.

Going through the orchards was beautiful but I was surprised how many stinging insects were out. Something crawled under my race band and took a nasty bite out of my wrist. I’m surprised I didn’t take out the bikers around me with my swerving to get the damn thing out!

We passed through the gas station turn and started the climb up Richter Pass. Now I have a rock hard stomach when it comes to food. I can eat anything and prefer my nutrition solid on the bike. However my nerves that morning were so bad that it settled into a sour gut. My nutrition consisted of a gel every 30 minutes with apple slices, beef jerky and peanut butter crackers throughout. But the apples I was eating were much tarter than what I trained with. I think the combination of the nerves and tartness did my poor gut in. I looked long and hard at the port-a-potties at mile 40 but decided to risk it since I was at the base of Richter Pass. Ugh.

I am pleased to say Richter Pass was not that bad. But the poor Canadians couldn’t handle the heat. I saw lots of people puking and pulled over already on this climb. Poor guys. There were heart rate monitors and Garmins alarming all over the place. The crowds were great and after four sections we were up and over. The down hill wasn’t as crazy fast as I would have liked due to a head wind but never the less down hills always feel good. On to the rollers. Once again I didn’t think these were bad. But I wouldn’t call those rollers either. Those were climbs. Personally what made every thing better was the pitch was never too steep and they weren’t switch back climbs so you could settle into a steady pace and just go.

It was at this time that I began wishing I had stopped at the port-a-potties. I’d stopped with the apples and was chasing the gel shots with jerky to curb the sweetness. When I finally hit the next aide station I took water with me into the potty. Only in an ironman would someone say they were relieved only to find saddle sore blood on their chamois. Thankfully I had packed some Imodium with me and took one as a preventative. It helped, so did the peanut butter crackers, until I lost them at the first bump. Damn.
With a slightly happier gut I was off on the flats and onto the out and back. This is a great course in that it is broken into several sections. I’d heard how hard the out and back is but once again I was pleasantly surprised. My gut was feeling a little better and I like seeing all the people so the lolly pop shape really lifted my spirits. The special needs bags were out here as well and that was at mile 75. Mentally I knew I only had 25 miles until 100 and then it was all down hill from there. No sweat. I got to see both Katie and Chris during this section. I only took my third gel flask from my SN bag and tossed everything else. Yuck! Funny what you think will sound good looks awful on race day. At this point the aide stations stated having trouble with their water supply. One local farmer had his garden hose out and people were refilling that way. Only once did it affect me. I asked for water from the first volunteer and he said they were out but when I passed the last volunteer at that station I saw him passing out water bottles. I was already out of position to grab it so at then next station I made sure to shout water at every volunteer until I found some.

I rounded the corner at the Big Bear produce stand and smiled. We’d found that stand last year and really enjoyed it. Now it was up Yellow Lake and down home. Once again I didn’t think the climb was too bad. They were playing Flight of the Concords Business Time when I got to the crowds, that was great. Climb, climb, climb and finally I’m at the top. Now I get to descend. Again there was a head wind so it was a little more reserved. There were a few “I’m gonna die!!!” moments but that is what makes descending great.

A little trick I’ll share. Doug had installed a GPS tracker on my phone during my long training rides and it was a nice feature for him to track me on race day. I had my phone in my bike bag and he was able to track my exact position all day. Very helpful when the course only has one timing mat at mile 40.

Transition 2
  • 09m 52s
Comments:

The bike took me longer than I would have liked but ultimately I wanted to be back in by 4pm and that is exactly what I did. Some very wonderful volunteers took my bike and raced to get my run bag. I assured them there was no hurry and they were moving way faster than I was. My gut did not like going vertical. I did another clothing change and decided to try the port-a-potties in transition before hitting the run. Sadly that didn’t make me feel any better. My gut was not happy with me at all.
Run
  • 6h 44m 19s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I was taking a gel every 30 minutes and it was time during the out and back on Lakeshore Drive for what turned into my last shot. I forced myself to attempt one more but that almost had disastrous consequences. I bent over on the side of the road and nearly threw up on this very nice man in a coconut bra and grass skirt. I started walking from there. I passed my iron family on Main Street again and after hugs all around explained what was up. I managed to jog a little after I left them but I was mainly walking for the first 3 miles. Every aide station it was ice down the sports bra, water, pretzels and an orange slice if it looked good.

Even though I was walking much sooner than I’d wanted I never really felt down. I knew I was going to have to deal with something unexpected during the day and there were still plenty of things I could try to get this under control. I focused on getting my body temperature down and settling my gut to the point where it could start processing fuel. By mile 4 I was feeling much better and started running again. I would run from aide station to station and walk through them. My spirits were doing quite well at this point and I was back to having a good time. After about mile 9 I started having side cramps that wouldn’t go away. These weren’t muscle cramps either, they were more like high intestinal gas cramps. So that put me back to walking. I saw Chris between miles 9-10 and we were both so glad to see each other. Big hugs and happy tears.

The spectators were great all along the course. I joke with several of the local residents that were having little neighborhood block parties asking where my wine was and they were enjoying our suffering way too much. Almost every house had either a person standing with a hose or their sprinkler on. That was great. There was one crazy family on a boat at the point with their music blaring and cheering up a storm. I even saw a family of deer on the cliffs. There is lots of time to look around when you’re walking.

Coming down the hill into the turn around was the changing point for me. For one thing I knew I didn’t have enough time to walk the whole thing. Secondly my family had talked about driving out to the turn around and I really wanted to see them. Plus I didn’t want them to see me walking again. So I picked it up and trotted down the hill and through SN pick up. My daughters ran with me for a few minutes and Doug a little farther. He was honest with me and said I needed to do a lot more running to make the cut off. I could tell by his face he was concerned and nervous for me. I think it was a combination of not wanting to let everyone down and the fact that I was now on the way BACK that really helped. There is so much to be said about knowing you are on the way back and each step is a step closer. The cramps were gone, the sun was down and it was time to run. Thankfully I found it didn’t hurt to run faster so I stopped with the old man shuffle and started doing something that could be recognized as a run (or at least a fast jog.) I tried to share my new found energy with other racers and encouraged them to stay strong and make that cut off. It was so sad to see so many people that were already in the depths of despair.

I started just using the water and Pepsi at the aide stations. What was up with the chicken soup? Someone needs to stock Canada with some Campbells. That stuff was gross. Such a disappointment too because all you ever hear about an Ironman run is the chicken soup. Well not for me. I passed a girl somewhere in the high teens milage and the poor thing was limping on a bum knee. I gave her my sample packet of BioFreeze. She was very grateful. The motorcyclists came through and started handing out the glow necklaces. It was kind of a weird view. I was in between two groups for a while and felt like I was chasing the fairy lights. As we approached the point the crazy family from the boat was still there rocking away. Bless them. Music is such a mood lifter.

In all my training the pivotal point was the 20 mile marker. As long as I made it to that point I knew I could get it done. It was a great feeling to reach it. That also was the point in which you reentered town and the crowds started to pick up. Even though I felt so bad for the people that were walking and had absolutely nothing left I took strength in knowing that wasn’t me. I had the fitness left to bring this home strong and was out there doing it. It felt great to hear people encouraging a walker in front of me and then tell me I had a great pace and looked really good. I felt good (as good as you can I mean). Even when I took walk breaks I was power walking. Even though the blisters on my feet hurt and I was tired I knew the sooner I reached that finish line the sooner it would be over. Doug and Paul found me as I was walking down the one way section of Main Street and were thrilled to see me. I had cut 20 minutes off my return time and they said I was looking fantastic. I made that turn under the PowerBar arch and the crowd was amazing. I was so happy. I was crying, smiling and running all at the same time. Going down Lakeshore Drive I passed my coconut bra man and waved a Hi and I Remember You. He remembered me too and said I was an Ironman. Geeze it took FOREVER to reach that turn around but I was rockin’ it. The crowd just kept getting louder and louder. You could see the lights and hear the announcer. People were yelling, “Tracy you are an Ironman” all down the street. The crowd was banging on the walls of the finishing shoot. I lifted my head high and enjoyed every second running through that finishers shoot. Even though this announcer didn’t say I was an Ironman I heard him call my name. I thought of all the people who might be watching this on line, my family right there, my Dad, the crowd, just everyone. I crossed that finish line one very happy lady. I hugged the woman who gave me my finisher’s medal. I cheesed it up for my finisher’s photo. I smiled and thanked everyone. Because after all, I AM AN IRONMAN!!!!!

What would you do differently?:

I wouldn’t change a thing about my training or the race. Race day is about so much more than the swim, bike, run. It is about putting them all together and dealing with the conditions as they unfold. I am proud of myself not only for crossing that finish line, but for the strength and knowledge I’ve gained training for this. I was brave and strong and I did it!!!!
Post race

Last updated: 2010-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:26:05 | 4224 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 114/167
Overall: 2095/2890
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:26:57 | 112 miles | 15.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 128/167
Overall: 20339/2890
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 09:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:44:19 | 26.2 miles | 15m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/167
Overall: 0/2890
Performance:
first split: 3:31 second split: 3:13
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-04 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: Ironman Canada

2011-09-04 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3672865

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Ironman Canada
AWESOME!!!! Love the write up! So F'ING proud of you!!!Congrats Ironman!!!
2011-09-04 4:54 PM

User image

Wow Tracy.  Incredible job.  You are a very strong lady, and an Ironman.

Way to put together an incredible day/race.  Very proud of you! 

2011-09-04 5:44 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Tracy, thank you so much for sharing what chalked up to be an amazing experience for you! Your perseverance, your positivity, just came shining through and the description of your feelings coming down that finishing chute made my spine tingle! So happy for you, girlfriend. You are a ROCKSTAR, ironman!
2011-09-04 6:14 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Great write up! What stands out most for me was your positive attitude throughout. It sounds like you got more out your experience than most!
2011-09-04 6:28 PM

User image

Master
You DID do it, Ironman!! Congratulations!!  I just know that even when you weren't at your best, you were a perky and supportive and awesome competitor out there. Way to hang in there, be smart, adapt, and power on. You are awesome, Tracy!!! YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-09-04 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Tracy, that was an amazing RR and so worth the wait to read it all! It sounds like the crowds were uplifting and having Doug there too. What an inspiring finish you wrote about, you should be very proud : )
2011-09-04 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Way to go Ironman! Great Race Report! I remember the guy in the coconut bra and grass skirt. Glad you didn't get sick on him!
Great job on a challenging day!
2011-09-04 8:21 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Great RR!  Felt like I was there.....way to hang on when it got tough!!

You are an IRONMAN!!!

2011-09-04 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Congratulations, Ironman!!  Great RR
2011-09-04 9:44 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

First things first - Can you imagine how expensive it would be to import that fancy US made Campbell's soup into our foreign country? And it's "O Canada". HA

Great seeing you again. We got through a crazy fun and crazy tough IM course. And I know its not listed here, but you had a HUGE negative split on that run!! Congrats Ironman!

2011-09-04 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3673054

User image

Congratulations, Tracy! What a great race report. Thank you for taking the time to share the details with us!
2011-09-05 4:29 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Great RR! I watched you cross that line while I was at work, you looked so relaxed!Tracy, you an Ironman!!!
2011-09-05 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
What a great write up Tracy. made me feel like I was there with you , without all the pain of course. Congratulations Ironman.  You are an inspiration to all of us wanna bes out here . And congrats on the new job.
2011-09-05 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Excellent race report.  My wife and I volunteered for 5 days of Ironman and loved it but I was intrigued to realize that by your timing I would say you passed us as we were cheering on all the runners as they rounded onto main street at the Cherry Lane mall around 9 to 10:00pm.  We were using our hand clappers and encouraging everyone as they passed us.  At that point there was 5.5 km to go to the finish and we were telling everyone how good there pace was or how good/strong they looked, not far to go etc.

But we were also out in the morning in front of Cherry Lane mall, again using our handclappers to cheer on the cyclists as they headed out on their ride.  We saw one person check their tires because of the sound of our hand clappers.  I can't say it was you but if it was that would be twice that we saw you.  If so, sorry for the stressful moment.

After the cyclists passed us we spent race day at an Aid Station along Skaha Lake until 7:00pm and it was incredible doing whatever we could for the racers.  Then we went back to where I believe you passed us to stay until the last runner passed us.

Campbell Soup eh!  I always thought it was Canadian.  So high in salt it probably would be good in a race.

Congrats, hope you'll come back again.

George and Ruby

2011-09-05 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Tracy,

Fantastic RR.  Thank you so much for sharing your day with us. 

TRACY, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!

2011-09-06 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3673824

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Awesome race report Tracy.  What a great race, congrats!
2011-09-06 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Great report Tracy!!!!  So proud of you!

Love the idea of beef jerky on the bike...I have been trying to come up with salty snacks to keep with me to offset the sweet stuff.

2011-09-06 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh

Solid report Tracy! Way to mesh the day's haps into an extraordinary performance. That's how I am viewing my upcoming  day as well!

Oh and I did stay up to watch you cross that line and I did see that signature "Tracy smile". And yes you looked fabulous!

Way to get it done!

...tattoos after my IMFL? Cool

2011-09-09 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Great job Tracy!  So happy and proud of you.  I know this year has had it's ups and downs but you stuck with your plan, got the training done and then executed on race day.  What more could you ask for - IRONMAN!
2011-09-13 10:10 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Congratulations, Tracy! You ARE an Ironman!!! Such a great report and an awesome performance out there! I am so proud of you, ROCKSTAR!!!

2011-09-19 12:27 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
What an awesome RR.  Way to hang in there, you are one tough cookie.  I know this had to be so rewarding for you after the year you have had.  You IM peeps are bringing back my inspiration for perspiration...  Great job!
2011-10-29 10:51 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Congrats Ironman!  Great RR too!
2011-10-30 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Loved your race report.  My wife and I were at an Aid Station about mid Skaha Lake until 7pm then we went into town and cheered in the last few hours of runners at the Cherry Lane Mall.

Found it all very emotional and we can't wait for next year.  By then maybe I'll have my nerve and endurance up enough to sign up for 2013.

2012-03-06 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
I am just getting back into the tri world again and had to check on you.  What a great race you had!  You hit the nail right on the head - IM is dealing with what the day gives you - and you did an outstanding job with it.  Things rarely go as planned but you dealt with the adversity thrown your way beautifully.  Congrats on a job well done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Canada Rss Feed  

of 2