Momentum Multisport
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 33m 22s
Overall Rank = 40/110
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a cliff bar, a roll, banana, water and gatorade. Got to race site about 4:45. Got everything set up and just waited for the start.
Event warmup:

No need to warm up since the first 30 miles are neutral.
Bike
  • 5h 33m 22s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I'll make this short and sweet.

1. Neutral portion of the race was crazy. Slowing was yelled out at least 5000 times in 30 miles.

2. Tradewinds has no business trying to clog the front of the peloton with all their riders to impede others at the offical start making it dangerous for people who want to make the initial break pass them on a one lane road.

3. Made the 1st group, and responded to every attack up to Olomana where Eric Lau dropped everyone, and the lead group shredded.

4. Burt, Nguyen, Eric, Carl and I formed a group, but I flatted at the top of Makapuu with 2 miles to go. I was solidly in the top 15 at that point.

5. Took me 19 minutes to fix my flat after my valve extender wasn't working, and had to use my punctured tube with pit stop from a teammate who happened to be there spectating since she crashed out earlier.

6. Sprinted to a meaningless 40th place finish.
What would you do differently?:

Not flat. It was a staple that barely made it through my tire.
Post race
Event comments:

This race is just too crazy for me. It's an awesome test against the best riders in the state, but logistically it's crashes waiting to happen. I know of 6 people who crashed, 3 of them taken to the hospital on stretchers. I almost went down in the neutral area when for some reason the peloton slowed down to about 7 mph on the flats, and there were numerous other close calls that I saw.

I don't ever think I will do this race unless I'm in absolute peak form and I feel I have a chance to hang onto the final group. It's just not worth it to do this race "for fun".

Last updated: 2011-06-14 12:00 AM
Biking
05:33:22 | 112 miles | 20.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/110
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 112 miles around Oahu. Starts from Hawaii Kai park and ride, around a small part of Hawaii Kai, then out and around the island via Kunia, finishing at the beginning of Kalama valley.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-09-04 10:13 PM

User image

Subject: Dick Evans Memorial Road Race

2011-09-06 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3673144

User image

Elite
Miami
Subject: RE: Dick Evans Memorial Road Race

tight....chit 19 min that sux.  i see you are liking the road racing eh.... 

yes that is what i hated in the mass start also, the begining 25 miles and people were so edgy. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dick Evans Memorial Road Race Rss Feed