General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Des Moines, Iowa
United States
5150 Triathlon Series
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 25m 20s
Overall Rank = 985/994
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 81/82
Pre-race routine:

huge race(s)!! i was blessed to get a free entry from Sioux City HyVee byway of the SUX Tri Club. I had to drop off bike the night before. there were three tris today; first, the HyVee 5150 Championship (amatuers who qualified at previous races, with the women's and men's overall winner getting cooper minis), the HyVee Triathlon (for everybody), and the HyVee 5150 Elite Cup (pro's fighting for $1,000,000 prize money). They also had the HyVee IronKids Triathlon (300y/8m/2m) on Saturday (the day before). Dawson was training for this and planning on competing, but sprained her ankle/broke her foot and wasn't able to compete. In the end it got rained out. Terrible rain storm on saturday as i was registering, picking up my packet, checking out the tri expo at the convention center. susan and baby k came and supported me. Daw wanted to come, but the finish was at the state capital which was a couple of miles away from gray's lake were the swim and transition area was. Since susan was originally going to come, it seemed too difficult for daw to get from once place to the other, particularly on her bum foot. Plus there was a fun "lookin" night at the ucc church that she wanted to attend.

great swag at this race: cycling jersey (instead of tshirt), a tri bag, a hat, food samples, coupons, etc. plus the expo had lots of free athletic foods and drink, discounted tri clothing, and other stuff. after my race finished, many of the vendors were set up around the capital giving out goodies so we got lost of stuff for the kiddos.

I wore my fire trunks with blackbottoms underneath and my tight orange bike jersey. the first time for my fire shorts. i put chamios buttr on. put my contacts in and wore sunglasses for the first time since they came with my swag bag (nice IronMan Foster Grant wraparounds). arrived about 5:40 AM, got my chip set up my transition area, and packed love sees all color tshirt, crocs, a jacket, glasses, and a few other items in the fancy tri bag they gave us and put it on the truck to have it transferred to the state capital finish area. with about 1500 triathletes, the organization was incredible. everything went smoothly

the 5150 championship tri entered the water at about 6:50 and finished entering at about 7:15 or so. we entered at about 7:30 in several waves and each wave had several groups go several seconds apart all on the time trial clock. i raced for the first time in the "phyically challenged" division and was the only one (there were three in the 5150 championship tri). i could have raced the 45-49 year old, the clydedale, or the pc. i chose the pc primarily because it was one of the first groups to start so i wouldn't be the last one in the water. plus, the registrar said that i was the only one in the division and would win a medal which was not terrible important to me, but i thought it would be fun to bring the medal home and tell the kids i won my division and my vets was well.

ps. age group rank is based on 82 in my age group that does not include clydesdales in my age group.
Event warmup:

i had a prerace gu gel, three on my bike and three for the run. i found an energy bar chocolate gel with caffeine and took that 7:09, then took the gu gel i had in my pocket at about 7:35. i also stretched for the first time before a tri. i stretched my calves really well since i have cramped up in the water and on the bike before. i also stretched my shoulders a little.
Swim
  • 1h 10m
  • 1640 yards
  • 04m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

since there were so many participants, we had a wave/time trial start. i was in the third of like 15 waves. in the bigger waves they would start 4-6 at a time on the time trial clock. the first group to go was the elite men, then elite women, then the pc, then the youngest males, then each of the male age groups and then the women age groups and i think the clydesdales and athenas were sandwiched between the males and females.

i was pleased with my swim, not the greatest, but not bad. i was concerned about staying on course, that wasn't too difficult since there were so many swimmers passing me and the buoys were these 3 or 4 foot tall, bright colored triangular inflated pyramids that were easy to spot. i swam to the outside so i wouldn't get run over as much. often had swimmers knocking into me, hitting my legs or back. two or three times i had someone crawl up my back. but nothing serious. i was able to stay focused. afterwards. on the run, one of the voluteers told me he was assigned to stay with me throughout the swim in his kayak. he complimented me and said i was solid the whole way and didn't need him near bye even though i was swimming with one arm. about two thirds of the way through the swim two things happened. first, i started to feel the tightness of my googles and was a mild to moderate discomfort that i was often aware of (but they were at a good level of tightness). second, i felt a little loss of energy. nothing drastic, but noticeable. my goggles,trunks and top worked fine.
What would you do differently?:

1. get a few more mile swims in.
2. figure out a way to get a gel/fuel halfway through the swim
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

the transitions were long. there was a long chute from the swim around half of the huge transition area and then in from the run exit. my bike was right in the middle. my medicine bag, sweatband, helmut, and classes went on quick, then sat on my bucket and put on my shoes. ran my bike out. luckily, it wasn't muddy because it was muddy in the t area yesterday when i dropped off my bike after the big rains

my transition was average, no major hang ups, but i wasn't sprinting at top speed...was always on the run. on the other hand, the transition area was so huge that i doubled my t time just running around the t area to my bike and then out the bike exit.
Bike
  • 1h 37m 23s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.31 mile/hr
Comments:

it was a good cycling portion with plenty of riders so always folks around, but never too many. got passed alot, passed a few who then passed me and sometimes that went back and forth a few times, passed a few. i had some strong/fast downhill descents and usually pushed it hard downhill and passed other riders. no problems with chaffing, the chamois butt'r was great. did get some crotch numbing the last third of the ride. not terrible, but did have to stand up a few times and work it out. very little left arm numbing...i usually get that even when i do short rides. maybe the swim got my blood circulating well. no right arm numb...also very unusual. it goes numb about half as much as my left arm usually. i finished by top water and had a full bottle under the seat that i did not access. used about 3/4 of my gatorade.

once i completed the first climb and got a few downhills and flats under my belt i was running and average mph at 16 or better. about two thirds of the way through, i got it up to 17.4. with less than 5 miles left i was at 16.4 and struggled to push hard. i dropped into the 15 to finish.

i took an energy gel at the beginning and then about halfway through. i was due for another as i finished and just did that as i was running through t2.

1. i don't think i ever got my right foot looked in. i need a new set of pedals, or maybe some tri cycling shoes since i have a pair of the nicer pedals that came with my bike.

2. ride more 15-30 milers to increase my ave mph. i think i could ride at 17 or 18 mph. that's a place i can cut my time significantly. a wee ago was the first time i've biked 25 miles since i did it with the scouts in the early 2000s. i only got a couple of 15 milers in...did as many in competition as i did in training. MORE 15-30 MILE TRAINING RIDES!! i'll have to go even further when i train for the half ironman.
Transition 2
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

like t1, my t time was decent, i put on my number belt (first time i did that after the bike), took off my headband and put on a pretied yellow bandanna, socks and shoes went on quick, grabbed my folded red bandanna to carry in my left hand and blow nose and wipe face after getting water at the aid stations. did not drink during either transition. consumed a gel on the way out of t2. lots of time running bike to the rack and then running out.

1. learn to get out of my shoes while finishing the bike.
Run
  • 1h 28m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

didn't have any legs after the bike, but the long run through the t area got my legs back under me. still, i knew my pace was down. i'm guessing that i was in the high 13s or 14s or maybe low 15s in terms of minutes per mile. but i was solid and steady. i yelled out encouragement to every runner i saw, particularly during the initial and concluding out and backs. i enjoy sharing the joy and encouraging others...those that passed me, those i passed, the volunteers and the fans. i teased a lot of the volunteers and told them that they "were starting to look tired:)" and joked with volunteers and supporters alike to "put on a number and join us next year". there was a very positive vibe throughout the run. everybody supporting one another. shoes worked great for a third season, no blisters, may need to get some new ones for next year

the greatest was that at the end of the last out and back by the capital, i saw and heard my honey and baby k cheering me on. it great to have their support both at that moment and joining me for the event.

1. that was the longest distance that i have ever run. i ran 5.75 miles three times the week of the okoboji tri a month and a half ago. i ran 5 or 6 5k s in the time between. i did swim a lot so i think that kept me in decent shape even if i wasn't running as much as i liked. but i need to do more 6 mile runs. particularly if i want to get ready for the half marathon in mankato in october and for any future olympics or half ironmans.

2. i want to get my 5k below 30 minutes which is below a 10 minute mile. i think my best time right now is a 10:50 mile or so. i think this is another area that i can significantly improve and reduce my times.

Post race
Warm down:

drank a bottle of water, kissed my honey and baby and went for a massage at the massage tent. when i got there the signup sheet said "no more signups" and indicate it was closing. (see race evaluation for my other thoughts about this). also got fresh fruit and gatorades to replenish.

SIDENOTE: befriended two brothers who were pretty young, one in the air guard and his younger high school brother. first tri...it was free to service men and women and their families. both were in there running or bball shorts, no goggles, average moutain bikes. they started the swim in the wave after me, must have passed me in the water, i caught passed them on the bike, then the caught and passed me in the last half a mile as we approached the capital.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i think what limited me the most was that i struggled to find the time and sometimes the motivation to adequately train for my first olymipic level tri. truth be told,
1) i have only swam close to this distance once in april, i believe and only 2 or 3 times in my entire life. i knew i could make it, but did not train to do it efficiently and effectly.
2) i only biked this distance one week ago for the first time in the past decade and the second time ever. regular cycling will allow me to quicken my pace and not lose my energy in the latter part of the bike.
3) i have never ran this far before in my entire life. a month and a half ago i ran 5.75 mile run in the okoboji tri (although when i measure it the beginner triathlete gps maps system it was closer to 4.5-4.75 miles). twice in the week leading up to the okoboji tri i trained at 5.75. those are the only times i have ever run those distances. another area that i can improve in terms of both pace and endurance.

Event comments:

this was an amazing well organized and enjoyable triathlon. lots of swag, very well laid out course: in the water, on the bike and on the run. the transition area is too big!! but i do not think this could be avoided given the number participants. fantastic volunteers and staff!! warm encouraging atmosphere.

i do have one major complaint that does not only apply to this triathlon, but to almost all that i participate in. in this case, when i finished after being on the course for about four and a half hours, i was excited to see the massage canopy and see several triathletes on tables getting treated. when i went to the sign up desk there was a sheet of paper that noted that the massage area was now closed and they were not taking anymore people. initially, i was angry because this kind of discrimination happens in one way or another at almost every triathlon that i have participated in. those who are slower triathlete and finish near the end of the race do not get the same treatment as the "hardbodies" that finish earlier. i have not got complete timings because the timing mats have been moved before i finished my swim so i got a swim/t1 combined time despite paying the same fees as the other participants, i have seen the allsportscentral folks start to pack up the pylons and barriers at the finish line before everyone finishes, now this experiences with no more massages available. thus, the old fat physically challenged guys at the end get bilked. this discriminatory practice devalues many of the bigger, older, physically challenged athletes who work just as hard as the others but finish near the end. this is a shameful practice that devalues triathletes because of their size, level of fitness, age, and or physical challenge and should be eliminated. all triathletes deserve to be celebrated for their efforts.

ps after some smooth talking and assertiveness, i was privileged to have a massage on my calves and upperback/shoulders/neck area...thanks to my volunteer masseuse Matt!!

Last updated: 2011-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:10:00 | 1640 yards | 04m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 82/82
Overall: 990/994
Performance: Average
race data 1:10:00, 4:10/100y
Suit: "fire" trunks w/blackbottoms underneath
Course: the course was the shape of an upsidedown "L". nice sandy beach, started at the timing mat about 50' from the water. swam straight about to the green buoy (about 200 meters), turned right at the buoy. went a 200 m and then left at the yellow buoy. then 200 m and then left again (now parallel to the beach) at the yellow buoy. then a long stretch of maybe 650 m not far from also parallel with the cement walkway the went thru the lake. then turned left one final time heading back to the shore for 400 m. arrive on a nice sandy beach, run up the beach 50-80 feet to the time mat.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:37:23 | 24.85 miles | 15.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 79/82
Overall: 939/994
Wind: Some
Course: lots of climbing and descents, but moderate climbs for the first 2 or 3 miles and then the last mile of two with plenty of ups and downs in between.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:28:53 | 06.21 miles | 14m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 82/82
Overall: 985/994
Performance: Below average
race results data 1:28:53, 14:16/mile
Course: nice run on the bike trails around the lake including the tall cement walkway through the middle of the lake then an out and back on the west of the lake. that took up the first two miles. then followed the bike trail on along the south bank of the raccoon river where i could see the shiny gold dome of the capital finish line area, past mile marker 3, past the ball diamond, then left and up over the bridge. then along the west bank of the des moines river. crossed the des moines on a pedestrian bridge about mile marker 4, then ran up around the capital with an out and back (west then east) on leading up to the west side of the capital, then circled to the right/south of the capital with a steep climb up the south side of the capital and then head north to through the grandstands and blue artificial turf finish area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-05 6:57 PM

Subject: Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship

2011-09-05 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3673901

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship
congratulations on your race Mark.  I didn't see you, but my wife remembers seeing you.  Well done sir.
2011-09-07 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3673901

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship

Mark.

Great report and good job finishing.  FYI, there were 4 of us in the para division in the US Championships.

See you there next year?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed