General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Croix Valley Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Croix Valley Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hudson, Wisconsin
United States
Final Stretch Inc
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 18m 59s
Overall Rank = 11/103
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/26
Pre-race routine:

usual pancakes before we leave the house. then get there very early. Got a good spot.
Event warmup:

went and rode the bike for about 10 minutes. then just hung out and waited. Had to change my rear tube, because it blew pre-race. I actually was laying down right next to the bike, when it blew. It scared the crap out of me. I thought someone set off a fire cracker.
Swim
  • 19m 7s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

this is my best swim yet. I was able to latch on to a the first swimmer and sit on his feet the whole swim. It took a little more out of me than i hoped but was great. I did not kick until the last bouy and then i kicked hard and swam easy the rest of the way in, so that the blood would get down to my legs.
What would you do differently?:

actually put in some real swim workouts so that i was not as winded after the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

My goggles did not stay in the sleeve of the wetsuit. I did not know this. thankfully a spectator grabbed them and tossed them to me in transition.

if i swam a little easier, i might have had a little more to run through transition. That being said i was pretty please with that time
Bike
  • 1h 10m 57s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.01 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to push it. I was passed by about 11 people, plus the guy that was out of transition ahead of me. It rained a little steady from mile 6-7, but that was not a problem. I thought i was going faster than i was, but 2 MPH faster than last year at the same race is not bad

I need to work on hills. Also i need to do a lot more intense workout this winter. Of course miles will always help.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

i need to practice dismount and running with the bike. It will only save me 15 seconds at most, but still a area can work on
Run
  • 46m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

i got out of transition well. then i started to cramp a little. My guess is due to my attempt to change my nutrition on the bike. I think i will go back to a little less stuff in my water. The hills also affected me more than i expected. SO the run was faster than last year by almost a whole minute per mile, but the st paul tri i ran 7:15 per mile. The cramping held me back a little

Continue to perfect my nutrition on the bike. Also work on a little more hill training.
Post race
Warm down:

walk around and wade into the river, and wait for jenny to finish

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Believe it or not, I need to put in some real swim workouts. Also the usual is my bike performance needs to be stronger. On top of that my run was worse due to an experiment with nutrition on the bike.

Event comments:

I do really like this race. The course is nice. the amount of participants is small and race organization is done well.

Over all I improved 20 minutes from last year at the same race. My goal was 3 minutes faster, so i still have more work to do. However i am not going to complain about getting 20 minutes faster.

Last updated: 2010-11-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:07 | 1640 yards | 01m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/26
Overall: 2/103
Performance: Good
Suit: orca tri suit under wetsuit
Course: 2 laps clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:57 | 24.85 miles | 21.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/26
Overall: 20/103
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: some rolling hills. kind of a n out and back, with a small little circle at the far end
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:48 | 06.21 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/26
Overall: 31/103
Performance: Average
Course: for the most part an out and back. about 3 small hills, both up and down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-05 6:58 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: St. Croix Valley Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Croix Valley Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed