General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First tri race to quit smoking. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-05 8:00 PM

New York, New York
Subject: First tri race to quit smoking.

Hello my name is Yana, I have been a smoker for 17 years and I've been smoke free for the past 2 months. I know this is not a NA meeting but I just wanted to share that since I wouldn't be able to keep going if it wasn't for Triathlon training. 

Mid-June, I decided to stop for good, to smoke my last cigarette and go cold turkey. I knew it was going to be a challenge and I would need discipline. Training is what I needed to go through withdraw, cleaning the body from the inside, repairing the damage I have done for all this years. Unfortunately, my lungs were not the only part of my body that I've been careless with. Running downhill from the mountain of southern Alps with a 20kg backpack during my youth and having multiple bike accident during the Montreal winters, left my knees with a tear in the meniscus and an inevitable pain. On top of that, being happily married to a brilliant cook made me go from a 170 pounds young man to a Clydesdale format. My rheumatologist and my physiotherapist, although being lovely people, told me bluntly that I couldn't (shouldn't) run anymore.

So here was my dilemma, quit smoking and destroy my knees or destroy my lungs and enjoy my 214 pounds and my full fat cheesecake. 

Triathlon was the answer, cross training, swimming to restore my lungs and strengthen my full body, biking to enjoy central park and avoid shocks, running... running because I had to, I couldn't do just 2 third of the triathlon, and I do love running even if it hurts. Moreover, I am convinced that if I build my muscle around my knee I will protect them during the last, painful but so enjoyable part of the race.

25th of June 2011, I flicked my last cigarette in one of those filthy back street of New York City. I registered for the MadeToTri in Northport in Long Island, a sprint race. It is short enough for my first Tri and hard enough to be a challenge for my so out of shape body.

Since then I've been training everyday beside rest days. At first I couldn't do 100m in a pool without drowning out of breath, I was sweating half of my body after biking one Central Park's loop (3.1mi) and couldn't run 10min without stopping and watch my wife leaving me in the dust. That didn't help my excessive irritability, my nicotine induced hatred of the world and my bottomless lack of self-worth. Today, I can swim 875m straight and feel like a warm up, I just biked today 18.3 miles at a 28.25km/h pace and I run, painfully, but I run 40min without feeling that it will be my last day on earth.

I know it is not a big deal, and I am far away from the Ironman, but honestly I haven't been happier in my life, I haven't felt so full of energy, so ready to take on the world, so creative, so productive at work and so focused. It is not easy everyday but the discipline that a tri training requires,  the focus on the race and most importantly the playfulness and the joy of cross training not only help me but is a decisive factor for my present day happiness and my well being, and, needless to say, for my new, smoke free life.

No matter my position at the finish line on september 25th, I already won. To be who I am today through triathlon training is already an achievement for me, and an achievement that goes way beyond the best performance. It's a simple, personal, radical and a life changing achievement.

yana kehrlein

2011-09-06 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3673968

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: First tri race to quit smoking.

Welcome to BT Yana! Glad you have quit smoking. I am coming up to NY to do that race, as my best friend lives right near transition. Be sure to add the race to your race log and then go to the race link. We should be getting our race numbers in a couple of weeks and can post them there. Hope to meet you there.

Also be sure to check out the NY forum for others in your area.

Doug

2011-09-06 11:39 AM

I quit smoking a year and a half ago. I have done about four sprints and just did my first oly last weekend. I love it and wish I started tri's earlier in my life. Good luck.
2011-09-06 3:58 PM

New user

Utah
Go Yana!!!  Whoop Whoop!!!  Your story is so impressive and motivating.  I'm a newbie also, just found the site this weekend.  Thanks for sharing your story!  Keep up the amazing work!
2011-09-06 8:11 PM

New user

Good decision. I quit smoking six years ago after 25 years. Triathlon training helped to keep my focus on something other than smoking.Your body will repair the damage. I just finished my fourth Ironman so you know that the only thing that will hold you back is yourself and your will to succeed.
2011-09-06 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Way to go Yana...I'm new myself and tomorrow marks exactly 6 months since I put out my last one and havent touched them since.  I've been cycling all summer and completed a 65 mile ride just a couple days ago, have added running and now changing up to triathlon training, with a goal of completing a couple of sprints and an olympic next year...assuming I can learn to swim properly!!

Cheers!

James

2011-09-07 7:03 AM

Veteran
indian land, South Carolina

Congrats!  I quit smoking in Aug 2008.  Reading your post made me think back to when I first started training.  Like you, I couldn't run 1 mile without stopping, a few laps around the parking lot on my mountain bike was all I could muster, and I could not swim with my face in the water (so I looked rather comical trying to do laps doing the "swamp crawl".

Again like you, I have knee problems.  I've had 2 knee surgeries on my left knee and was told in 2008 that I have a degenerative meniscus.  I was really surprised with how much my knee pain lessened when I started losing the weight and building strength in my legs.

After smoking for 18 years and having a bad knee, when I started training in 2008 I thought 'if I ever only complete a sprint, I'll call it good and be proud'.  In May 2011 I did Ironman Texas and finished in 14'04". 

2011-09-07 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Congrats Yana!!! You will find that many of us are past smokers. This is an amazing site! great support and a WEALTH of information at your finger tips.
I too was a smoker ~ went to a friends funeral who was a triathlete and when I did I vowed to quit smoking and do a triathlon...Even though I was a retired mtn biker and had been very athletic...I was basically laughed at by all...I was very overweight and like you had smoked HEAVILY for close to 20 years. I could barely walk but returned home tore up my cigarettes and began training. I also was told to take glucosamine to help with my knee issues. I took three a day for maybe a few months and amazing results....you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacists to see if this is a good option for you. I can not begin to tell you  how it helped me!

Good luck in your upcoming training....make sure to not be shy. Stay involved with the site....log in your training log and there are many monthly challenges that go on under the forums icon. Great for meeting other BTers and for keeping you motivated.
2011-09-07 9:36 PM

New York, New York

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome, I appreciate the support. It is great to see through your stories that it is possible to go from the ashtray pit to the finish line of an olympic, (even Ironman!) race. That is encouraging. 

Beside its design, I love this site, it is AMAZING! I discover new feature everyday and is obviously filled with great people. 

I am looking forward to meet you, electronically or in the area. My eyes are on that sprint race in Northport now but my mind is on an olympic one next year (don't know which one yet), so I'll be around, logging and chatting. Great to meet you all.

y

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First tri race to quit smoking. Rss Feed