General Discussion Race Reports! » Coopers Rock Stump Jump! – 10K Trail Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Coopers Rock Stump Jump! – 10K Trail Run - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bruceton Mills, West Virginia
United States
WVU CPASS
Total Time = 43m 5s
Overall Rank = 5/100
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/19
Event warmup:

Got up to Coopers a little later than I would have liked, but they got a ton of race day registrants, so the start was delayed ~15 minutes, so I got some good light jogging--and a couple potty stops--in before the start. Usual gel about 15 minutes before the starting gun.
Run
  • 43m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Tough course... gets hillier as you go. Of course, fools go out way too fast. I lined up behind the first row of runners, immediately got passed by a dozen or so people, worked my way through them for the first mile or two. I am always surprised at how consistently-bad people are at pacing, whether it's 6.2 or 140.6. Made up ground on downhills, was conservative on climbs, passed people throughout without ever being passed after the start. On Vomit Hill was approaching a runner, decided to walk the hill and was able to keep up with him running, then exploded past him at the top as he was spent. Made what I thought was going to be my last pass around 8 or 9k and then crested a hill to see a pair of guys looking like they were running together. Wasn't quite sure where I was, but figured I was approaching overall podium at this point. Really surprised to see anyone, let alone two runners together, at this point, and thought they might have not been racers. Then they separated and the one wearing compression calf sleeves stopped from what looked like cramping. He restarted, then stopped again and I blew past him. The other guy was within view, but looked too far out to pass. When he started walking on the final stairs, I thought I had a shot at him, but he looked back and saw me and started running again, and there was just no way. He turned out to be in 4th, and I finished 7 seconds behind him in 5th.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race

Last updated: 2011-09-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:05 | 06.21 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/100
Performance: Good
Course: Coopers Rock: Roadside Trail to Advanced Ski Trail to Laurel Meadows Trail to Rhododendron Trail (and Vomit Hill) to Rattlesnake Trail. Love the dip into Rock City near the end. Hate the hills among the structures nearer the end. Map: http://cpass.wvu.edu/r/download/84091
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-06 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Coopers Rock Stump Jump! – 10K Trail Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coopers Rock Stump Jump! – 10K Trail Run Rss Feed