Triathlon Racing Inc.
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 29m 52s
Overall Rank = 229/266
Age Group = clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 22/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 3:45. Had my race breakfast of a oatmeal and apple sauce with bottle of coconut water. Applied bodyglide and got my race suit on. Packed all of my stuff and was off to Utah Lake. Transition opened at 4:00. I decided I didn't want to be there too early and felt 5:00 was a perfect time to get there. Since it was my first time racing at this distance, I didn't care what spot I got. I got into transition and I saw row 3 had an open end rack. The gods were watching over me and it was good sign that I may have a good race. I unpacked and got everything set up.
Event warmup:

Since our transition was on the grass area, I sat by my bike and chatted with the other racers until race time. No warm up. I did make sure though that I had alot body glide on me.
Swim
  • 33m 33s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had worked alot on getting conditioned to swim longer distances and on pacing myself. I held back a little at the beginning, as I didn't want to tire myself out on the swim. I was hit in the face once and lucky it didn't dislodge my googles or my contacts might have came out and my day would have been over. I also had two people swim on top of my back. That was all during the first 300 yards. Other than that, it was fun. After the first turn, it wasn't that crowded. Water wasn't so clear, so I couldn't find feet or bubbles to draft off on. I was sighting every 6th stroke. I liked the fact that we swam a counter clock wise direction, which kept everything on my left (my breathing side). I was told that the boat ramp would be very slippery, so be careful getting out. Got to the end and swam until I couldn’t and was helped out of the boat ramp by some volunteer. (* note to self) The boat ramp is very slippery, swim to shore until you can’t swim any farther and then have volunteer help you out. If not, you will end up falling back into the water.
What would you do differently?:

Besides not getting hit in the face, I felt I did a good job pacing, especially my first 1/2 Ironman distance. I should start working on cutting my turns closer as I tend to take them turns very wide.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

I had a very long transition. My plan was to take my time and make sure I had everything I needed before I left for my long bike ride. I got my usual stuff for the race: helmet, glasses. Here are the things I took with me for this distance: gloves, headband, two bottles of EFS liquid shots. I also ate a Stinger Waffler in transition.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 39s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.91 mile/hr
Comments:

The nutrition I had on the bike included 2 bottles -1 water & 1 with carbo rocket (333 calories), two bottles of EFS liquid shot (400 calories each, I actually used only one), one Honey Stinger Waffles (160calories) and Honey Sting Gel Blox (150 calories), two salt caps & roll of TUMS (I had one at mile 35). We also had a special needs bag at the turn around which included: a snicker bar, bottle water, & extra tube. I was told this course was flat like my high school girl friend and it didn't disappoint. In my hometown I have alot of hills, so to try and simulate the race course was hard. My training was to put in time and distance so that I would be confident to race the distance. My race plan was to spin on a easy gear and not to push too hard on the first half. On the second half, I would move up to the big gear if I felt strong. Also, we had two aid stations @ mile 15 & 45. My plan was to finish my water and fill it up before each station. My carbo rocket would last me the whole ride. I started off spinning alot. Every time I would look at my computer, RPM was at high 90s or 100s. It seemed like everyone passed me and I wasn't moving. I had my bike computer to ring every 15 minutes so I would hydrated with water, carbo rocket, or a shot of EFS. At the first aid station, I decided not to stop for water as I felt good. Around 20 miles my butt wanted off the bike, which was bad as on most rides, I usually feel like that around mile 45. I pushed and told myself that I was half way done. I got to the turn around and decided I didn't need my special needs. About two mile later, I felt like I got my second wind, and decided to push at bigger gear. At mile 30, I ate my honey stinger waffle and gel bloc. At mile 40 my legs were tired, but I kept up the pace, I had found someone to pace off of (I wasn't drafting) and, he had a good pace that made me want to keep up with him. I got to the last aid station and both bottles were 1/3 full. I decided I was good. I prayed that discussion wouldn't haunt me at the end. I pushed on, my legs were very tired. At that point, I stood up to crank on the pedal to get my other muscles involved and my quad muscles came close to cramping up. I immediately sat down and started to pull instead of push on the pedals to give my quads some rest. I got into the city and finally pushed my pacer, I also passed several others that went out too fast. The last 4 miles was fun. I wanted to finish with a negative split time. There were a couple of riders that I was gaining on and, so I pushed to catch them. I finally caught them with mile and half left. I stayed behind them as I didn't want to use all my energy to pass as I needed to get my body & mind ready to run a half marathon. I finished my bottles and coasted into transition. I was 2 minutes faster come back!!

I don’t know if this would have made me faster, but I felt like I was spinning too much at the beginning g. Maybe I should have gone up another gear? Maybe get filling water at the station or stopping to get special need bag? I don’t know if that snicker bar would have help? I need to start doing some interval training.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I pack my usual stuff for T2: garmin watch, glasses, visor, race belt with one gel, shoes (no quick lace on this race). Here are the things I took with me as well for this distance: running shorts, hydration belt that held 1 20oz bottle & in the pocket were two gels & a roll of tums, two salt caps and 1 bottle of EFS that was attach to my race belt. I got my shorts, shoes & visor on, turn the garmin on and grabbed the rest to put on as I started running.

I would turn garmin on before the race or during the first transition. I also needed to downsize to one belt. I need to find a race belt that can carry a 20 oz bottle (I do like the fuel belt with the 4 bottles on it), the race number & pocket to hold gels
Run
  • 2h 53m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

My nutrition plan - 1 bottle of EFS as needed, 2 gels with caffeine to be used at the end to get me through, two salt caps as needed and a half filled bottle of water as needed. Got out of transition and got my race belt and hydration belt on. I noticed my EFS that was attach to my race belt was pulling it down & decided to hold on to it. I knew that we had two loop to do, but did not look of the course in detail, which I should have done. I figured that would follow everyone. During our athlete briefing, the race director mention that the run course would have 6 aid stations and there would be one area where we would be without a aid station for two miles. The rest were about a mile apart. It was hot and very sunny and I got into a nice run. I kept my breathing in control. My pace at mile 2 showed 12:25, which I was happy with. I drink some EFS and took water from the aid station. It was great to see fellow tri buddies running and yelling words of encouragement. About mile 3, I was pasted by tri member Collen (she won 2nd overall) and mentioned that we would be in the shade soon. She wasn't kidding it felt good. I continued my pace and followed the crowd. At mile 4 aid station I did the usual slip my EFS and grab two cups of water (one to drink & the other to pour in my arms). I continued on. As I was running I noticed the race director had sprayed painted on the ground arrows on what directions to go and what mile we were on. This one that I saw said "mile 5", but my garmin showed a little over 4. Wow! I was thinking maybe that mile post was from a different race. So I pushed on. Then I had a couple of runners pass me and one was Collen passing me again. I was thinking, "wow this is a weird course, if you have to pass this area twice within each loop". Well I pushed on and noticed there were runners that were close behind haven't passed me yet. Then it hit me, I may have missed a turned!! I had another racer that I know pass and mention how did I get in front of her. Than I knew that I had missed the out in back at aid station 4. I should have known that as I though it was weird to have a aid station on the left side of the trail, when I continued going right. I felt alittle stupid and mad that a volunteer didn’t say anything. Since I was already a mile past, I decided I would run that out and back twice on my second lap. That decision made me feel better knowing I could make up for that missed section. It was nice to see a sign that said take a left to the finish lane and others go straight for 2nd lap. Seeing that I knew I was going to finish, I started my 2nd lap and my pace had drop to 13:30. I also had to remind myself that I actually haven't completed a lap yet. At mile 7 my energy started to drop a little. At mile 9 & 10 my pace had fallen to 14:45. At mile 9 I started the first out and back that I missed, it was a nice area with a little of shade along a river. At this point I was getting passed a lot. What sucked was alot of them would say "2 more miles and were done" and I knew not me I still have to run this area one more time. At mile 11 I had to do what didn't want: I had to walk!! I walked for two minute and I pushed myself to running again. I got to the last aid station and took one of my gels with water. I pushed on knowing I had little less than 2 miles to go. That last stretch was long. I walked and jogged to the end.

Need to be familiar with the run course. Maybe pace it little slower.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a couple of bottles of water. Gatorade wasn't good at that time. Walked around and found my tri club. I took a couple of group pictures and watch other tri members finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditioning. Body weight. Lacking of experience at this distance.

Event comments:

Being this as my first triathlon at this distance, my stress level was high off the roof trying to figure out the bike course. The course map they had (its was a PDF) was very hard to make out what road/street to turn on, especially in the city area. One of the reasons why I did even look at the run course, I was very stress out that I would get lost and being in the city area, I was concern about safety. I wish that they had given us turn by turn direction. They did however have several people and officer at all major intersection and turns. This is something the race director couldn't control but we did start about 30 late. I heard that park ranger/habor master wanted to make sure the swim was safe and ready to go. What ever that mean? I did noticed as I was walking to swim start that buoys weren't even set out. My bike computer and garmin as well as on FB showed that the course may have been on the short side. A Elite athlete also mention the swim felt about 100yds short. Does matter I’m still a finisher!!!

Last updated: 2011-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:33 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/266
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: wave start. two laps
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:57:39 | 56 miles | 18.91 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: From Utah lake you would go into back in the city provo and out to farm area of springville. A out and back course with traffic closure on the most intersection. I felt very safe on the course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:53:41 | 13.1 miles | 13m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Another flat course with two loops with two out and back within each loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes