Race Revolutions
107F / 42C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 6s
Overall Rank = 44/120
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/25
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 500. Usual morning ritual . Out the door at 5:45 to meet Ken O. at the home depot parking lot to carpool to race site. Got to race site about quarter till 7. Set up transition. Talked story with Ken and Tommie.
Event warmup:

I was in the water by 8:15. Swam around lake island a couple of times to ease usual pre-race jitters
Swim
  • 17m 3s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. Beach start. I lined up towards the rear and outside. My plan was to take the swim easy knowing the bike and run segments would be physically demanding. Swim went as planned. Drafting went easy, sighting was easy too. I did lots of passing and was passed by a couple of fast swimmers in the wave behind me. I drafted off of them for a while but decided to let up to conserve energy for later that day
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go a bit harder towards the latter half of the swim?
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Nothing exciting to report. Ho-hum average transition for me

do things faster
Bike
  • 1h 25m 25s
  • 13 miles
  • 9.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I believe I made the correct bike choice for this course. The 29er hard tail did excellent. The course itself was not very technical. There was about 1 mile of tight single track which was the most technical of the entire course. In this area there were many short drops and climbs followed by a sharp turn. It you were to come of f the bike here it would be hard to get your rhythm back. If you stayed on the bike it was not too bad. Much of the course we very sandy (think beach sand) that made travel slow going. You really had to push on the pedals and every inch of forward progress was earned. Tire pressure was off on race day. I may have been running too high a pressure as the front end on several turns. I had to dab several times and actually lost the bike underneath me twice. The sand was really made things challenging.

Push on the pedals harder
Transition 2
  • 01m

do things faster
Run
  • 55m 55s
  • 4 miles
  • 13m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot. Hot. Hot. We had some relief off of the bike as the first mile or so was in the woods. Like the bike course, the sand was prevalent throughout. In the woods, the trail was pretty tight. There were sections that you had to weave yourself around trees. As customary on the run segment of an Xterra there are fun bits of technical terrain to negotiate, sandy uphill stretches, down trees to climb over, small creeks to leap across. Once out of the woods you had a good slog around the lake in the soft sand under the baking sun. During the run segment my quads began to cramp so I eased up a bit and tried to walk. I found that my legs would try to cramp even more if I walked so I had no choice but to shuffle along in a slow jog. It was a slow run indeed. After looking at other’s results I don’t feel so bad as a friend of mine who is normally a 6 min per mile trail runner only managed to do 9 min something that day. That was a testament as to how physically and mentally demanding the race was on that day.

Do more bike to run workouts. Run more in the sand
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed a water and doused myself with it. Talked story with peeps at finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and sand on the course

Event comments:

Hopefully next year it won't be as dry so the course would be a bit more tacky. This year's race was BRUTAL because of the heat and sand.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:03 | 875 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/25
Overall: 0/120
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Clockwise, almost point to point
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 95F / 35C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:25:25 | 13 miles | 9.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/25
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: two loops of hot and snady goodness with rolling hills. ~ 1 mile of techical single track with the rest of the trail being open but very sandy jeep trail and ATV trail.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:55 | 04 miles | 13m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/25
Performance: Below average
Course: two 2 mile loops. Mix of single track and open trail and a few small hills. Tight and twisting in the single track, hot and sandy around the lake
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes