General Discussion Race Reports! » The AVIA Austin Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The AVIA Austin Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
High Five Events
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 11s
Overall Rank = 313/727
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 6/15
Pre-race routine:

I went to pick up my packet Sunday morning and was pleasantly surprised how smoothly it ran considering the size of the race. Everyone was friendly and helpful, and I waited in no lines. My only complaint: I had to pay to park in the lot! This was a pretty expensive race (I think $125?), so I thought it was a little much to have to pay to park on site at the expo.

Bike check-in was mandatory Sunday, and this was very new to me. I was nervous to leave my bike out overnight to begin with, and the 30mph wind gusts made it worse. When I got to the transition area, there were definitely swaying bikes and the occasional swaying rack. I found my place and managed to stabilize my bike by hanging it by the brakes and weaved a boat rope around the handlebars and the rack for extra security.

The rest of the day was all about rest and nutrition.

Woke up around 5:45, ate a bagel with peanut butter and banana. Took the dog out for a walk, and noticed the cool front had came through over night. It was such a huge relief considering Austin has been suffering through one of the hottest summers on record.
Event warmup:

I arrived at transition at 7:15 (an hour before it closed). I was pleasantly surprised to see my bike made it safely through the night. I set up my things then took my bike to the mechanics for some extra air in my tires. I walked around transition for a bit to get my bearings on the entrances and exits and really began to notice how horrible the space was. The whole space was nothing but dirt, wood chips, and stickers. Unfortunately, this is what we get without rain for months.

I wasn't concerned with too much of a warmup as I was in the very last swim wave and had to wait over an hour for my wave to begin. I thought this would be a bigger deal than it actually was. To be honest, it was nice to have the extra time to use the restroom, hydrate, and watch the earlier waves. I will say, though, I'd likely not be as cheery about it if the temperatures had risen to 100 degrees by 10:30am as they had the week before.
Swim
  • 16m 42s
  • 766 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a strange swim for me. It didn't go badly but it didn't go well either. I jumped in and managed to find a spot holding onto the dock until the start. While this meant I didn't have to tread water until the gun, it also meant I had to swim at a bit of an angle to get straight along the route.

I really didn't experience too much contact in the beginning, which was a nice surprise, but towards the end I ran into a few from the previous wave who had stopped to tread water.

For some reason I felt like I couldn't see anything! I had a horrible time locating the buoys so I used other swimmers and the shore to find my way to the swim exit. This definitely caused a lot of zig zagging through the course that I think ultimately cost at least a minute.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I had taken the time to study the race markers more. I think it might have helped with my sighting. Other than that, I am still new to swimming (3 months since my first lesson), so more training.
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

It was a pretty long run from the swim exit into transition, and an even longer run from my bike rack to the bike mount. Combine that length with the time it took to get the soot and stickers out of my feet, and I've got a long transition time. All racers experienced the same conditions though. I was pleased that I had the 4th fastest transition time in my age group.

I still have some work to do in transition. I absolutely need to make sure I run to my bike place and run with my bike to the bike mount. I feel like I did a pretty good job with this, but I think I could have hustled a little more.
Bike
  • 59m 48s
  • 16.78 miles
  • 16.84 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my second triathlon and the second time I really surprised myself on the bike portion of the race. I am very new to cycling (2 months) and cycle train the least of the three disciplines. I went into the race extremely concerned with the hills. I have never trained on hills like the ones I faced in the race. I was impressed that my average mph was similar to my training mph considering the increased hills. I think the bike race atmosphere really gives me an added boost.

The winds really made this bike route interesting. We had to fight a consistent strong wind with 30mph wind gusts. I am a pretty small person, and there were times I thought the wind was going to blow me over so I came out of aero a few times for added stability.

A huge factor in this race was improved nutrition. My first race I learned the necessity the hard way, so I bought a Speedfil for water and took in a Hammer Gel half way through the bike portion. I finished the bike and the run feeling strong, and I know the nutrition played a key role.

nothing really. i just need more biking experience.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

I am not a huge fan of running in my cycle shoes, but considering the terrain in transition, it was the lesser of two evils. I don't really want to practice running in my cycle shoes, so I guess in races like this my transition time will suffer a little.

I also had trouble racking my bike as I was position next to one of the supports and my handlebar got wrapped around one of the legs. This cost me a lot of time.

I did love not having to put on socks in transition. I am definitely pleased with my investment in new tri shoes I can wear sock less.

Again, I think I could have hustled a little more. 4th slowest transition time shows this needs a lot of work.
Run
  • 27m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Considering the disaster that was my last triathlon run, I am extremely pleased with this one yet I feel like I could have done better. The course was strange zig zagging through the park along a path marked with flags. We ran on a dirt trail, in the grass, in the street, and on the sidewalks. I focused on light feet and good form and reminded myself I was trained for this run. I was pleased that I had enough in me for a little extra kick the last quarter mile, but I wish I had kicked it up a bit earlier considering I had so much energy left at the end of the race. Triathlon truly is a balancing act.

I walked a few times that were totally unnecessary. The course didn't have any mile markers, so I had no idea how far we had left before the finish line. If i'd have known it was so close, I wouldn't have walked.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the post race carnival for a little while, drank a water bottle, and at some peanut butter crackers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I could have improved my race by knowing the course a little better. If I would have known the distances I had left on the swim and the run, I could have kicked up the pace a little more and improved my time.

Last updated: 2011-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:42 | 766 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/15
Overall: 0/727
Performance: Below average
Suit: TYR Tri Jersey, Zoot Tri Shorts
Course: Rectangular loop in Lady Bird Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:48 | 16.78 miles | 16.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/15
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Two loops around Downtown Austin.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:51 | 03.11 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/15
Course: Zig- zagged through the park area
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-06 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: The AVIA Austin Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The AVIA Austin Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed