Racing Underground
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 3s
Overall Rank = 8/173
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and ate a banana coffee, cliff bar and a mix 1 shake. Packed up the bikes and headed out.
Event warmup:

My 13 year old son was doing the short course race, this would be his first duathlon. My wife also competed on her 46th birthday. SO it was a great day from the start. We all did some running and some dynamic warmups then headed to the start line that was about 200 yards away.
Run
  • 20m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run. I started out with the lead group but they took off and I ran my pace. Ran with my buddy Dean for the whole first run. We chatted about how some olympic trials marathoner ran a sub 15 minute 5k in the middle of his marathon and we were happy with a sub 20 5k stand alone. Pretty funny. All I really wanted was to run hard and stay ahead of my main competitor Robert Gilbert. If I beat him today, I would win the 3 race series. He won the first race, I had won the second so this was it. I stayed ahead of him the whole run until mile 3 then he came up on me and passed me. He was not moving real fast so I just wanted to keep him close. He got into t1 just 5 seconds ahead of me. I knew I had him on the bike!

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, great first run and I didn't kill it.
Transition 1
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Put my bike shoes on in T1 as I was like 5 steps from the exit. It saved me time today.

Nothing, can you beat 36 seconds in T1
Bike
  • 51m 21s
  • 18.6 miles
  • 21.73 mile/hr
Comments:

10th fastest bike split and my average was 21.7 mph, that has to tell you something about the hills. Started out flat then right into a hill. I was in almost my smallest gear. It was not fast. After that it was a big downhill, then into a neighborhood that was up and down, then back onto 64th that was a slow grind back up to the second loop. The ride went well. It took me a while to know how hard to push as I didn't know the course. It took my buddy Dean to pass me to get me in gear. after he passed I repassed and put the hammer down. Played tag with a guy near the end.

Push harder from the start. Can't complain as I have had very few bike miles logged. Take a look it's true.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

That is pretty damn fast!

Be just 1 second faster. Why, I don't know, just because.
Run
  • 21m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

PRetty solid run. I felt good the first part but then struggled on the last mile which is up hill. I need to run more hills they are killing me this year. Had 2 guys pass me the last mile. Neither one was in my agegroup. Looked back at mile 3 to find my rival Robert and he was just starting the last hill. I had him today. Went pretty hard the last .1 as I really didn't know how fast he was gaining. He is a flash some days.

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to see my wife come up the last hill.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

They gave away a pair of zipp 808s. No I didn't win. I did win my agegroup and I won the series so that was a good way to end the tri/du season. Now just running races left. Great race series.

Last updated: 2011-08-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:51 | 03.11 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 9/173
Performance: Good
Course: The first run was a bit different then the second one. We ran through a park and then met up with the second run course. It was a looped run with some hills. We started downhill and then finished with a pretty good up hill that was about 1/4 mile on dirt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:51:21 | 18.6 miles | 21.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 10/173
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops on the same course. Hills for sure. Lots of rolling hills with one good climb that was not fast by any means.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:27
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:14 | 03.11 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 13/173
Course: Skipped the run through the park section and added the long downhill street next to the park. SO a bit different then the first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-06 10:26 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: west side duathlon

2011-09-06 11:02 PM
in reply to: #3675622

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: west side duathlon
What, won your age group, and 8 out of 170+ overall on a year you are slacking on the bike.  Nice job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » west side duathlon Rss Feed