Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need recommendation for heartworm, flea and tick products Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-07 8:43 PM

User image

Buttercup
Subject: Need recommendation for heartworm, flea and tick products

I have a list of products from which to choose. I haven't owned a dog in over 10 years, so I am behind the learning curve on some of these newer products. I use Advantage for my cats for flea treatment.

Treatments include:

• Tri-Heart Plus - oral med to prevent heartworms and treat hookworms
  • Heartgard Plus - chewable to prevent heartworms and treat hookworms and roundworms
  • Advantage Multi - topical treatment for fleas, hookworms, whipworms and heartworms
  • Trifexis - chewable; heartworms, fleas, hookworms, roundworm and whipworms
  • Comfortis - chewable flea prevention
  • Frontline Plus - topical; to kill fleas and ticks

My primary concern is heartworm prevention; secondary is flea treatment. I don't have to have them in the same products. It's no big deal to purchase 2 products. I've used Heartgard in the past, recommended by the vet.

What do you use and what have you used that you didn't like?

2011-09-07 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3677104

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
Subject: RE: Need recommendation for heartworm, flea and tick products

I would stay away from the all in one medications.  It is more effective to treat ticks and fleas separetely from the heartworms and hook worms.

You migth want to take a lot at Interceptor, it has worked great for mine for the last 10 years, but Heartgard works just fine.

In regards to flea and tick medication i would go with Frontline Plus.  You may want to try Advantix that protects against mosquito bites as well but that one can be a little bit more toxic and cause skin irritations, happened to mine and i had to switch back to frontline plus. 

2011-09-07 9:33 PM

User image

Regular

At 1st I used revolution.  It is a 1 stop pill.  But because we live in a wooded area, my little guy was still getting ticks just from going outside to potty.  So I switched to interceptor and frontline.  I did that for about 2 years and it worked fine.  I bought the interceptor from the vet and got the frontline from either pet meds or walmart.  For the last 6 mos., I have been using the trifexis.  I haven't seen any fleas or ticks on him at all.  He is indoors except for exercise and potty time.  I haven't had a problem with the trifexis so I might just keep using it.  I have heard people say that for dogs that spend more time outdoors to use separate heart worm and flea products.

jami    

2011-09-07 9:35 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I like Interceptor for heartworm preventative. Used it on both my lab that I used to have and my papillon. For fleas and ticks, I like Frontline Plus for larger dogs, but I use Advantix on my papillon. The reason for that is that Frontline does 22 pounds and under, whilst Advantix is 10 pounds and under. My vet and I decided that we didn't want to overdose my 4.8 pound dog with too much chemical.
2011-09-08 3:10 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Renee - 2011-09-08 10:43 AM

I have a list of products from which to choose. I haven't owned a dog in over 10 years, so I am behind the learning curve on some of these newer products. I use Advantage for my cats for flea treatment.

Treatments include:

• Heartgard Plus - chewable to prevent heartworms and treat hookworms and roundworms
  • Advantage Multi - topical treatment for fleas, hookworms, whipworms and heartworms

My primary concern is heartworm prevention; secondary is flea treatment. I don't have to have them in the same products. It's no big deal to purchase 2 products. I've used Heartgard in the past, recommended by the vet.

These are the two I use.  I've used them in San Antonio when I was a K-9 handler and on my own dog.  I've used them in Virginia, Maryland, Florida, New Mexico, and now Japan.  My dogs have never had an issue with fleas, ticks, or worms.

2011-09-08 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3677286

User image

Master
Orlando
papson14 - 2011-09-08 3:10 AM
Renee - 2011-09-08 10:43 AM

Treatments include:

These are the two I use.  I've used them in San Antonio when I was a K-9 handler and on my own dog.  I've used them in Virginia, Maryland, Florida, New Mexico, and now Japan.  My dogs have never had an issue with fleas, ticks, or worms.

x2 on the Heartgard Plus and Frontline Plus.  In Florida fleas and ticks are a year round battle; I have never had a problem with either using these products.

2011-09-08 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

I'll just pipe up for Interceptor mostly because we are always with our dog in the woods, which is why we wanted the added benefit it has.  Max gets a little grumpy taking it however, the ole Peanut Butter cover isn't fooling him anymore, LOL

And we use the Fronline Plus topical May through November.

Edited by travljini 2011-09-08 8:17 AM
2011-09-08 10:10 AM

I use Interceptor year round for my 70+lb golden and Frontline Plus on her from April through November (and one year in January when I started finding ticks again because it was unusually warm).  I'm pretty sure this dog has never had a flee on her.  She does get a tick once in awhile - the vet said sometimes the dose wears off early and if you see an embedded tick, go ahead and use the next dose early.
2011-09-08 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
We use Interceptor and Vectra 3D.  Our vet recommended both.  We were told (and I've heard anecdotally) that Frontline is losing some effectiveness, so Vectra 3D it is.  We spend a lot of time outside, sometimes in tall grass, etc. and didn't find a single tick on our lab over the past year.
2011-09-08 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
We use Heartgard plus and Frontline plus as recommended by both our vets in PA and in WI. We use the Heartgard year round and the Frontline from snow melt to snow fall.

Our dog did end up getting lyme's disease a couple years back and I would still find ticks on her despite monthly application of the Frontline. Our vet in WI recommended going to every 3 weeks for the Frontline during the most active part of tick season since I spend a lot of time in the woods with my dog, hiking and mountain biking.

I have never found a flea on her.

ETA: We might be using Vectra 3D. I know we've used both Vectra and Frontline for ticks and fleas, I can't remember what we are using now and won't be able to check until I get home tomorrow. In any case, the vet said they worked essentially the same and she recommended the lesser expensive of the two.

Edited by graceful_dave 2011-09-08 1:08 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need recommendation for heartworm, flea and tick products Rss Feed