United States
Adirondack Race Management
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 02m 17s
Overall Rank = 94/224
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Couldn't sleep (yes, that's part of my pre-race routine: not sleeping). Got up at 4:45, had a banana, grabbed my things and headed to the race.
Event warmup:

I think I stretched a teeny bit.
Swim
  • 40m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good, solid swim for me. Didn't need to take any breaks at all. Did a really decent job of sighting for once. On the way back, I got a little bit off course, but it was easily corrected. I rounded the buoys like a pro! :) Drafting sucked, but mostly because there was nobody around me to draft off of. We were pretty spread out. But I'm ok with that.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Was obsessing about T1 for the last three minutes of the swim, going over and over in my head the order in which I would do things, rehearsing everything. I think I'm pretty satisfied with this transition, even though it's probably one of the slowest in my AG, because I was organized (for me). And I got rid of a lot of detritus that I feel I normally clutter up my towel with. K.I.S.S.
Bike
  • 3h 18m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Challenging course, but I decided to push harder on the bike than I normally like to, considering I always go easy on the bike so I can kill it on the run (this strategy does not win races, btw). I figured that since running is my strongest sport, I could push harder on the bike, muddle through the run and still post a reasonable time. I think this was the way to go. I tried to eat something every 20 minutes, because my nutrition usually sucks on the bike. I was very happy with this ride, even though it was long (grrrr).
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Could not get the bike reracked properly (my wetsuit was in the way). I was not sensible enough to move the wetsuit, just kept trying to get the wheel into the slot. Oy. That slowed me down. Otherwise, good and organized T2.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not throw my wetsuit ON the bike wheel rack.
Run
  • 1h 57m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot, hot, hot. Second loop I was starting to hurt. Took water and orange slices (OMG, orange slices) at every aid station. GU gel at mile 11. Pushed through at the end when I spotted a chick in front of me with a 31 on her calf. She made me work for it, but I dropped her at 12 and just took off.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, even though my legs were screaming to sit down. Went back into Lake George and chilled the muscles. Stretched and stretched some more.

Event comments:

This was the first year for the Half Iron distance and I think they did a great job. I enjoyed the course, they were organized and the food/drinks/goodie bag/prizes at the end were great (they had FRUIT SMOOTHIES at the finish, people). Would definitely consider doing this one again. Especially if they re-measured the bike course. ;)

Last updated: 2011-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:45 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 105/224
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and back in the middle of Lake George. Super clean water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:43
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:18:12 | 56 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 137/224
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills, some climbs, over some of the most gorgeous terrain in the area. Tiny bit of wind on some sections, but mostly it's pretty sheltered. Goes around Lake George, beautiful views of mountains and lakes. County roads (some in need of repaving) the whole way, minimal traffic. Good number of volunteer/aid stations. My computer said the bike course was 58 miles instead of 56, but everyone had to do the extra two miles, so...whatever.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:57:06 | 13.1 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 50/224
Performance: Average
Course: Hills. Just more hills. Then an out and back that included an incline (that was much easier than I anticipated because there was wind at our backs).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-09 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: Big George Triathlon

2011-09-20 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3679324

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: RE: Big George Triathlon
Great race report, and way to kick it in at the end to grab that podium spot! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big George Triathlon Rss Feed