United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30, hotel had breakfast out early for people in town doing the race. Highly recommend the Best Western Holland House for anyone doing a race in Detroit Lakes. We stayed with them for a tri in town and they did the same thing with breakfast. Headed to race site for on-site registration, no problems. Used the bathroom about a half dozen times.
Event warmup:

No real warmup, just stretching.
Run
  • 2h 17m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first half, and by far the longest mileage I've done to date. My current training plan calls for a few more runs before I hit the 13.1 distance, however this race came up so I figured, "Why not?" My lack of longer distance stamina is apparent when looking at my splits, I was well below 10/mile at the halfway point and finished much higher than that. It was super mega hot and sunny, and the course is deceivingly hilly. They call them gently rolling hills. I think that means they feel like they're going on forever.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I went out and stuck to my intended pace even while people were blowing past me in the first 3 miles. I knew I'd see them all walking later on, and sure enough I did!
Post race
Warm down:

Lot of walking around the finish area and stretching, despite how painful that was. I pre-planned to have lots of after race drinks and food ready, and it worked out well. After the race-supplied oranges, gatorade and ice-cream, I had my bottle of Vitargo + L-glutamine and a protein bar. Plus more water to wash that all down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual, I'm still relatively new at running and am still building up my base endurance. And blisters, even though I applied Glide and bandaids. I had a sharp toenail dig into the toe next to it, and ended the race with a very bloody sock.

Event comments:

Tons of volunteers, this is the 16th year doing this race and they've got it down perfect. My GPS says I ran 13.23, and many others commented that their's read the same. We didn't stick around for post-race activities so I didn't rate that. I'd do this race again if it fits in my training schedule.

Last updated: 2011-09-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:17:27 | 13.1 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Single lap around Detroit Lake after a brief run through downtown.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes