Christ Church
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 6s
Overall Rank = 7/190
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Bread with a little peanut butter for breakfast. Then off to get Ryan to his first soccer game of the season. Left early to get to the church for the race.
Event warmup:

A quick warmup down Legacy, probably less than 1/2 mile total. Some small pickups, just to get the legs loosened.
Run
  • 19m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Started a little behind the line, and saw the early group break into two packs. I spent the first mile reeling in the 2nd pack. By then, the 1st pack had broken apart a bit. The 2nd mile was spent steadily making up time on the back of that group. At the start of mile three, I set a goal to be in the lead of the group just ahead of me before we hit the 1/2 mile-to-go point. I caught them, drafted just a bit, then made a strong, uncontested pass well before my target. After that it was just stay strong and push for the finish. The next person was quite a bit ahead, and although i didn't catch him, I definitely was making up some time during that last 1/2 mile.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a great race, and I felt like I executed it very well. A new 5K PR!
Post race
Warm down:

After catching my breath, I went for a second loop of the course to cooldown and loosen up. Much easier pace, though I was surprised when i finally looked down at my watch. Cheered folks, thanked volunteers, picked up some stray trash -- just enjoyed being out there with folks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, although I'm sure some more speed training could have helped. Didn't feel hindered by the harder run yesterday, although that is something else to consider.

Event comments:

Great local event.

The activities for kids (bounce house, crafts, etc.) are a great touch. Bagels, apples, bananas for food. Some nice door prizes too.

Last updated: 2011-09-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:06 | 03.1 miles | 06m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 7/190
Performance: Good
Garmin strap not working, so no HR. But lap splits were: 1) 6:12.20 2) 6:12.56 3) 6:02.02
Course: Dead flat. Single loop that winds through some neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes