United States
Sandy Feet Events
Overcast
Total Time = 25m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, dressed and ate a peanut butter and banana sandwich for breakfast. My coworker who I was running with and I met up at our work, and then we jogged from our cars over to the event, about 3 blocks away.
Event warmup:

At the event we got our race bibs, stretched and then ran along the beginning part of the course.
Run
  • 25m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Hardest 5K of my life, but I PR'ed from my last 5K by almost 10 minutes! My coworker is a bit faster then me and we wanted to make sure we ran together, so I really pushed myself to keep pace with her. I was huffing and puffing the entire time, and felt like I was going to throw up- since my previous "fast" time during training was 8:45/mile. Without her running with me, and really inspiring to push myself, I would have never gotten close to that time! I didn't know I could even run that fast.
What would you do differently?:

Eating BBQ the night before is not a very good idea. I didn't really worry about my diet since this was a "no big deal 5k", but I felt really "heavy" when I first started warming up. Luckily I started feeling a bit better after a half-mile or so warm up.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm-down. After the race was over, I nearly passed out. Turned in my timing chip, got some water and some orange slices.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't think I could have gone any faster- at least not without some speed training, and more runs where I really push myself, pace wise. My coworker and I plan on trying to train together, since we really want to run a half-marathon together, and I know just running with her, since her average pace is about :30/mile faster then mine would make me faster.

Event comments:

I had a lot of fun. The Grape Day 5k was a fun, laid back community event, that was pretty well organized for its inaugural year. I'm very glad that I got to run with my co-worker: we've been talking about running together for months, and we finally got the opportunity to do so. I ran faster then I thought possible, and PR'ed by almost 10 minutes! Overall, it was a great race.

Last updated: 2011-09-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:16 | 03.11 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
First mile was about 7:50! I have NEVER ran a sub 8 minute mile before. Heck, I've never run a sub 8:30 mile. Second mile was really challenging because of all the hills- we finished mile 2 around the 16:30 mark. Mile 3 we were able to pick up the pace a bit, even though I desperatly wanted to slow down, and finished with an overall of 25:16.
Course: First and last miles were pretty flat, but the second mile was all hills, and really tired me out, but the change in terrain kept it from being boring.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes