General Discussion Race Reports! » Wasaga Beach Give-It-A-Tri Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wasaga Beach Give-It-A-Tri Triathlon - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Canada
Multisport Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 11s
Overall Rank = 20/219
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/17
Pre-race routine:

This was the first race that I wasn't camping the night before. Got to sleep in my own bed and keep my regular morning schedule.
Event warmup:

Very little warmup today. A muscle in my back was in spasm and I was having trouble breathing deep so i went to the onsite physio/chiro/massage tables and the therapist spent about 20 mins working on it.
Swim
  • 08m 40s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wasaga Beach has is famous for being very shallow water. The start buoys were 70m out from the shore and we were still only knee deep. It actually took about 25m more before we could actually swim, then it shallowed out again. So there was a lot of run/walk then swim. Water was chrystal clear however and a nice temperature.
What would you do differently?:

Next race I will rent a wet-suit. My swimming has become progressively worse as the season has progressed and if it wasn't so shallow, allowing me to walk a good deal of the distance, I would of still been out there.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

It was a long run up from the beach to the transition. About 250m.
Everything went airly smooth. Actually ran past my transition zone a few feet but not too detrimental.

Nothing
Bike
  • 20m 21s
  • 10 kms
  • 29.48 km/hr
Comments:

Was blazing fast course for me today. Being a local resident I've been able to train this ride several times so I was very comfortable and knew I could push my pace way up. Just under 30kph (29.5)was terrific and personal best.

One more race on the old hybrid mountain bike this season and then new TECH! Leaning towards a Specialized Tarmac but we'll see.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Nice smooth transition for me.

Nothing
Run
  • 13m 42s
  • 2.75 kms
  • 04m 59s  min/km
Comments:

I've been most happy with my running ability the past few weeks. Probably due to the 1/2 marathon training I've been focusing on. So I got into a good pace right off the bat. My sore back bothered me most during the run but it didn't stop me. Was able to pass a few younger racers...then I latched on to a fast runner and followed him right into the finish.

Generally I was pleased with the run. I pushed hard and kept pace. I'd like to get my breathing under control a little quicker.
Post race
Warm down:

Pacing and socializing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swimming is my Achilles heel in Triathlon. I've spoken to some experienced coaches and until I find my balance in the water (hips and legs up) I won't be able to improve. Immediate recommendation is to wear a wet-suit and practice kicking. This will be my major off-season training focus if I am to compete at longer distances next season.

Event comments:

There was a ton of space and plenty of room for vendors, racers and spectators. As always MultiSport Canada put on a fantastic race. Weather could not of been better, sunny and warm (not hot)

Last updated: 2011-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:40 | 400 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 46/219
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:20:21 | 10 kms | 29.48 km/hr
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 31/219
Wind: Little
Course: A left turn of Main Street then a straight out and back along River Road. Very little elevation change and smooth pavement.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:13:42 | 02.75 kms | 04m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 26/219
Course: Ran onto Beach Street through Beach 1 then followed the boardwalk across Beach 2 then into the park and dirt paths and a little winding. Made the turnaround back onto Mosley Street and followed it home to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-10 7:31 PM

Wasaga Beach
Subject: Wasaga Beach Give-It-A-Tri Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wasaga Beach Give-It-A-Tri Triathlon Rss Feed