General Discussion Race Reports! » Shoreman 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Shoreman 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Port Republic , New Jersey
United States
DQ Events
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

bonk bar on the way and sipped on gatorade
Event warmup:

racked bike and sipped on GU Brew with Carbo Pro
Swim
  • 38m 47s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

beach start for the race. Opening 50 meters got kicked in the gut and had goggles taken off. After that, swim went pretty well. The time was my fastest ever for a HIM race. Swam too wide at times, but overall glad to see improvement. Work has paid off in the pool, but still plenty more to do.
Going into the race, I thought coming out of the water in under 40 would really help in achieving sub 5hr goal.

Side note of things to come: right calf started to cramp with about 200M to go, but was fine when I got out of water
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

21st OA
nothing of note
Bike
  • 2h 44m 40s
  • 57.5 miles
  • 20.95 mile/hr
Comments:

started off going easy for first 5 mins to get going and was drinking GU with Carbo Pro
1st Lap went well. The last hour is when things fell apart. Right leg started seizing up whenever I stood and soon made the ride difficult. Last half hour felt like I was pedaling with 1 leg, any pressure put on right leg resulted in cramps. Was seriously concerned about getting off the bike without falling heading into to T2
What would you do differently?:

hydration!!!
I thought I was ok with 24oz water, and 40oz of GU with Carbo Pro. More on this later.
Seeing family cheering as I went into T2, I said I was already in trouble
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

26th OA. Painful
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

legs were a mess. Started the run with the women's leader and stayed with her for a 1/4mi then started to walk as legs were a mess. Friend caught up to me and I hung with him for 2mins before having to bail when right leg seized up.
stopped at the end of lap 1
What would you do differently?:

hydration and nutrition plan
Post race
Warm down:

laid down and tried to stretch. got some water and food in me. Waited for 2 hours for everyone to finish..continued to stretch and drink. Also ate and Italian hoagie, 2 pieces of cake, 2 slices of pizza and a cookie. After the race went to Ross's house. Drank numerous glasses of iced tea and ate like a pig all night- apps, salads, pork, prime rib, guac, cookies, ice cream, apple pie, etc. Woke up on Sunday and was still 2.5lbs lighter than I was before the race...clearly did not hydrate enough. Can only imaging what weight was when I stopped.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hydration/nutrition
Even with the longer bike, breaking 5 hours was still well within reach. Swim has improved, bike is developing to my strength, and I can almost always count on a good run. Today was not my day. First DNF of my career and it sucked!
I also decided that to help with the dehydrating, I will likely no longer use the aero helmet for HIM and full IM. Cramping/Hydration seems to be an issue and switching to a vented helmet should help.

Event comments:

overall very good course

Last updated: 2011-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:47 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 73/
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: out and back
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:44:40 | 57.5 miles | 20.95 mile/hr
Overall: 19/
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop out and back with rolling hills. course modified from 1 loop/56miles to 2loops 57.5 miles due to the hurricane 2 weeks ago
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
DNF 8:49, 9:50, 11:11, 11:39, 11:56, 15:00
Course: 2 loop out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-11 12:14 PM

Subject: Shoreman 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shoreman 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed