Running Fit
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 35m 58s
Overall Rank = 1/320
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I WON MY FIRST RACE! Totally stoked writing this right now.

Last night we went out to this Cuban place for fritas (burgers w/ fries inside) and batidos (coconut shakes with rum) and wine. My kind of pre-race, yah.
Event warmup:

It's been raining for like 3 days straight now, including this morning, so the trails were sloppy, slippery, sometimes ankle to knee deep puddles of muck. And it was an absolute blast just as I imagined it would be. My limbs have never torqued like they did today.
Run
  • 1h 35m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out really easy for the first trail section, just soaking in the experience of my first trail race, hanging maybe 15-20 people back, but I found my rhythm pretty soon and started picking people off. I wasn't trying to get to the front, just to pass the next person and see how I felt. I hit this one nazty puddle and my shoe stuck but my legs kept going. D’oh. Yeah, using the shoes with quicklaces was not my finest move.

When I got to the flat, loose gravel rail/trail section, I could see the four front runners and I started tapping out a really steady rhythm choosing to run in the grass for better pushoff, surprised to see 6:30s on my watch. Gradually they got closer when one guy turned off early before the out-n-back! Wha? Down to three.

I passed the next two guys running together (one left), and when the first place guy got a drink at the aid station I took the lead! Uh, this is pretty cool. I went through the turn around and kept a steady pace and got tons of "good job man!" from runners going out which felt great.

Back in the woods trails I settled into a more comfortable pace and went through countless sections where there was no firm trail left, just standing water and mud. Sometimes it was like this on the hills and you had to skate-run with absolutely no traction, especially on my road running shoes. I lost another shoe in the mud and had to go retrieve, all the while thinking I was hearing the slapping wet sound of the second place guy behind me. Don’t look back, just keep going.

The trail got a little crowded with ultra runners doing 100 milers, 100k, 50 milers, 50k runners sharing parts of the course. Next year, that WILL be me.

I promised myself I wouldn’t look at my watch until I was nearing the finish, so when I looked down to see 7.6 miles on my watch I had an OH SHIT moment. Only halfway there, and I can’t hold this effort. So I dialed it back on the hills and waited for the guys behind me to catch me, but no one came.

At mile 10 the RD was in the woods telling me to do one more loop of 2 miles then go to the finish. I couldn’t believe I was still in first. This was the most beautiful section of trails I’ve ever run in. There were huge pine trees all in rows, with mist coming from the ground and soft pine needles covering the ground. It was like I was hallucinating. Maybe I’m still in bed dreaming, and I haven’t started running yet. No, the pain in my legs is for real.

The last half mile I felt so good, taking my first win with no one anywhere near me and holding the lead since mile 5 or so.

I crossed the line with a fist pump and saw Alaina cheering me on. So happy to have her there cheering me on.
What would you do differently?:

Equipment change: should've worn tri shorts and race singlet to avoid the soggy heaviness when racing in rain. Also, need trail shoes and no quicklaces.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with some other runners and Alaina about the chaos of the slick trails and all the puddles. Trails rule!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-07-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:58 | 13.1 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 1/320
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-11 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: Run Woodstock Trail Half Marathon

2011-09-12 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3681037

User image

Subject: RE: Run Woodstock Trail Half Marathon
First Place OA - YEAH RYAN!! As someone who has followed your logs on a daily basis for a while now, I can say with certainty that you totally deserved this Win!!  You are dedicated, consistent and you're not afraid to suffer day in and day out!!   This is a tremendous start to your off-roading running ventures that lie ahead.  I can't wait to follow you on your journey.   The future looks beautiful and bright for you, my friend.  Relish this well-deserved Victory.
2011-09-12 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks Bobby! That means a lot to me, especially coming from someone whose hard work ethic and passion for all things endurance inspires me to get out the door and train.
2011-09-12 12:27 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
That is a seriously great time for a half over those trails. I am impressed. Way to keep the pedal down and go for the win.
2011-09-12 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Awesome race and congrats on your first win...and surely not your last I am sure!  Your training has been awesome and the win was well deserved.  Love the pic of the muddy mess...the fact that you lost two shoes in the mud and still won is too funny...well done!

2011-09-12 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

wwwwwwwwwooooooooooowwwwwwwwww!!!!

So cool Ryan.  Congrats!

2011-09-12 2:51 PM

User image

Master

Congratulations.  I am floored by your time and others on the Half Marathon.  Awesome Job!  I paced a friend of mine on the last loop of the 50 miler and I'm not sure how you could maintain your pace in those conditions.  The mud was epic and trail was beyond challenging in sections.

I thought it was a great event and the conditions only make the accomplishments that much greater!  Congrats again.

2011-09-12 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I am so proud of you!! What a rockstar! The best was hanging out after the race, and having all the other runners come up and tell you what a stud you were. You ARE a stud! Congrats speedypants!
2011-09-12 6:48 PM

User image

Expert

It's like I could see the smile on your face and your eyes glistening when you wrote the report when I read it.   Seriously dude...that is sooooo awesome.  I got the biggest smile over my face when Ranger Dave texted me the good news!

I've said it before, and I KNOW I'll be saying it again...Congratulations on an amazing race and fabulous recap in your report.  I swear, I have the coolest friends!

P.S. I missed the company of your better half this weekend, but I am soooo glad she  was with you to share this day!!! Yay!!!

2011-09-12 11:53 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats! A fun RR, for sure. I'm thinking fritas are the new pre-race weapon.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run Woodstock Trail Half Marathon Rss Feed