General Discussion Triathlon Talk » scary hyperventilation episode Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-11 1:50 PM

User image

Longmont CO
Subject: scary hyperventilation episode

Today I did my 4th sprint triathlon. Pool swim, 450 yards.

I swallowed some water once or twice, no big deal, I've done that before.

About 1/3 of the way through the swim, I started coughing, then hyperventilating like an asthma attack. I stopped swimming and just stood in the pool, trying to breathe.

My husband (bless his heart) was waiting for his swim start and he jumped into the pool and held my hands and just got me to breathe with him. After maybe a minute I was ok and finished my swim. I made sure to breathe every 2 strokes for the next 50 yards or so to get enough air, and was sort of disoriented (how much further?) and just concentrating on breathing for the rest of the swim.

I've never had anything like that happen before. Any ideas on what caused it, and how to avoid it in future?

2011-09-11 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3681102

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: scary hyperventilation episode

You have done this type of swim before, without any probelms and at best I can just put it down to age old saying "Sh*t happens"

Most probably it was just some water going down the wrong hole.  I really would not worry to much about it. I am sure at your next race you will be just fine.

2011-09-11 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
I had the same thing happen to me at my first two races. A large part was nerves-partially from being in the race and also from water being inhaled. It also turned out that I had undiagnosed exercise induced asthma...Now, between an inhaler and relaxation/meditation exercises, I haven't had that happen in the last two races--I am still pretty slow though!Laughing
2011-09-11 4:03 PM

Veteran

This happened to me for my first two races last year and the first race I did this year.  It usually ends up affecting the rest of my race as I can't put out power on the bike and I can't keep a decent pace on the run.  In my situation, it was from going out too hard for my fitness.  I would start thinking to myself that it was hard to breathe and it was down hill from there.  Instead of slowing down to regain my composure, I kept swimming breast stroke.  Big mistake.  Smart of you to stop and catch your breath then continue.

When I relax and think about the pace I'm swimming it's a non issue and the rest of the race goes great.

Edited by mrpetey 2011-09-11 4:04 PM
2011-09-11 5:14 PM

User image

Longmont CO

Thanks, everybody. I'm going with the "sh*t happens" theory.

I had no subsequent problems with the bike or run, both the fastest I've ever done. I'm feeling fine now except for a sore throat.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » scary hyperventilation episode Rss Feed