General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Des Moines, Iowa
United States
5150 Triathlon Series
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 55s
Overall Rank = 171/997
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 36/116
Pre-race routine:

2AM wake-up to down a 600 cal smoothie w/protein, then back to bed. 4:30AM wake-up, arrive at the athlete parking around 5:00AM. Grab my chip, set up transition, check out the swim exit, bike out/in, and the run out.
Event warmup:

Transition had a mandatory exit by ~6:45 to be ready for the elite racers, so I went for about a 10 min. jog/stretch along the trail around 6:15, threw my wet-suit on, grabbed a Hammer gel (w/caffeine) and a water, was out of transition by 6:40. This is the only downside of a bigger race. My heat didn't begin until 7:45, so warm-up time is difficult. However, I was able to get in the lake for about 5-10 min. of swimming warm-up before my swim wave went out.
Swim
  • 30m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Excited to get a wet-suit legal race after hearing many rumors that the race had a 99% chance of not being wet-suit legal. Glad I brought it regardless. Was also able to get a nice warm-up in. Dove in from the running beach start (without having really practiced this) and my goggles filled up with water, so I had to stand up and readjust (basically negating my amazing "bay watch" run). Was not able to get into much of a groove until after the 3rd turn when we were coming back West into the sun, in which I began coming upon some swimmers and happened to get kicked in the face (had to flip to my back to readjust my goggles for the second time). After the first 400m, then I was able to get into a nice rhythm with decent sighting (even into the sun - thank you tinted goggles). By the time I was sighting to the beach, I was surprised how fast the time had gone. Overall, average swim considering my first 400m.
What would you do differently?:

Next year, I will practice my diving start after running off the beach. Work on my turn-over, as I now I probably paced myself too slow - which allows my glide phase to get a little too long.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

Transition was HUGE. I think I ran at least 400m from the beach to my bike. Had a nice transition from wetsuit off and into my helmet/shoes. I'm still wearing road shoes, so I have the nice task of running through transition in shoes. This race did not lend itself well to this tactic, as the transition was grass or should I say mud after all of the rain the day before. Difficult to move through transition in shoes. However, I didn't delay - 3:12 was about as good as I could have hoped for.

Invest in Tri-shoes next year and begin practicing shoe-entry on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 39s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Surprised with my bike splits, even feeling that I could have pushed the pace more. Disappointed in the penalty, but it doesn't really bother me since I'm not in the hunt for a podium. There were several upset about this, including a gentleman who would have finished 2nd in his age group without the penalty. Nutrition felt right on. 2 bottles of Heed during the bike and a 1/2 of a Hammer Gel around mile 15, with the other 1/2 around mile 21.

Push parts 1 & 3 harder. Watch people dropping back to avoid any drafting penalties. Attach 2 gels just in case, as I bumped the only one I had with my leg once - which made me realize, what if I lose that?
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Again, long transition distance. Went about as fast as I could, putting my visor and # on while running.

Tri-shoes, so I can enter transition shoeless should make this process faster
Run
  • 45m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

L hamstring was cramping off the bike but settled down after about 1/2mile. After that, I was able to find my tempo. However, I had not run this route or really scouted it out before the race, so I was unsure of the terrain. Being my first olympic distance race, I was hoping to keep my pace at least under 7:45. To my surprise, I felt good, the course was flat, and under 7:30 was feeling fairly easy. I still held back, as I was unsure what was to come. I took water at mile 3 and gatorade at mile 5. My garmin told me my mile splits: 7:23, 7:16, 7:21, 7:15, 7:25, 7:21. Looking back, I think that averaging 7:10-7:15 would have been easily achievable. The last hill will be killer regardless, so might as well be miserable at the end with a faster average anyway.

Push the tempo about 10-15 sec/mile faster if able. Be aware of final hill.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a Gatorade, banana, 1/2 bagel. Met my family and walked around a little bit. Followed it up with a massage and 2 cookies. Perfect weather and the state capital made for a nice backdrop. Surprised there wasn't more to do at the finish with this type of race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The unknown of being my first time at this race and racing this distance.

Event comments:

Great event to race and watch the best in the WORLD race in the afternoon. Can't beat this race as far as an overall triathlete experience for the weekend! Will definitely put this one on the calendar every year!

Last updated: 2011-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/116
Overall: 0/997
Performance: Average
Suit: X-Terra Vortex (Sleeveless)
Course: Out and back course with all L-hand turns, except for the first buoy, which we made a R-hand turn. Buoys were well marked with big GREEN buoys being the main turns and ORANGE being the sighting buoys along the way (buoys were always on my L side, which made it slightly easier - being more of a dominant L sided breather. A time-trial start with a running beach start and a beach exit.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:12
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:12:39 | 24.85 miles | 20.52 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course felt like it had about 4 parts. The 1st and 3rd parts were slightly hilly with generally long gradual inclines. The 2nd and 4th parts were basically flat and/or downhill, where you were really able to push the pace. A few carpeted railroads to negotiate, as well as a couple of tighter turns on the out/back portions. The last 3 miles were on a fairly rough road. Otherwise, the roads were nice and smooth. Along Railroad Ave (heading West), there was a gal on the back of a motorcycle who was very "penalty-happy" and pretty quick to pull the trigger on anyone who appeared to be drafting. I was an unfortunate beneficiary of a 2:00 penalty for "drafting", as I had passed a guy who then quickly passed me and proceeded to drop back. Before I had a chance to make a move to pass, I look to my left - and here's this lady writing down my number. I knew right away what she was doing, but what could I do? This stretch appeared to be extremely policed, as we were heading into a headwind. Word of advice, drop back 3 bike-lengths or more, or make your move right away. Leave nothing to chance. I had no intentions of drafting but paid the price for my negligence.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:44 | 06.21 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Course: Flat and fast with a huge uphill the final 400m
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-11 4:29 PM

Subject: Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship Rss Feed