United States
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 42s
Overall Rank = 64/783
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/84
Pre-race routine:

Up early - coffee and English Muffin with Nutella. Drive to Great Lakes sipping Powerade. Entry was tough - it's an active military base - some didn't read race info about needing to have id. Got in and parked - took shuttle bus to race start at Fort Sheridan.
Event warmup:

Nobody was sure when race would actually start due to delays getting to Great Lakes. Warmed up with a couple miles jogging to be ready for a 7am start - ended up not starting until about 7:25.

Too few porta-potties - seems to be a theme for first-time races!
Run
  • 1h 27m 42s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Started with the 8:00/mile pace group. First mile was run in 7:42 - so they were quicker than 8. Due to the lack of PortaPotties at the start - had to stop at water station 1 - first time I've had to do that at a race like this. Worked to my advantage - instead of running with the pace group - ran based on feel. Caught the pace group about mile 8 - and put in my fastest mile - 7:08 - at mile 10.
What would you do differently?:

I wasn't trying to race - using this more as a solid tempo training run. Racing - I probably could have pushed a little harder early - but overall felt good with the run. Wore my Nathan Hydration belt with 2 bottles of Heed - helped to ensure I was in charge of hydration.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked the post-race expo; banana and water; went home and ran about 1.5 miles - then ice bath, Recoverite and shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Restroom stop
5,000 miles flying the day before (was in Germany for work)

Event comments:

Race was done to commemorate both the 10 year anniversary of 9/11 - and the 100 year anniversary of Great Lakes Naval Base. It was tough to get on the base - but they fixed it pretty quickly - and keeping in mind it's an active military installation - they need to keep their security in place. Volunteers were great - especially all of the Navy members manning the final water station.

Last updated: 2011-09-11 12:00 AM
Running
01:27:42 | 11.5 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/84
Overall: 64/783
Performance: Good
Course: Run through Fort Sheridan to the North Shore Bike Trail to Great Lakes. Fairly flat until the last 1.5 miles - with a fairly steep hill down from Great Lakes to Lake Michigan - then back up to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes